POST-PARTUM PACK - October 17

Options

Replies

• MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi mums out there!

- what do you do?
    - how do you fit exercise into your busy schedule?
    - have you always been active, or is this new for you?

Until maternity leave finishes I'm a housewife.. mum of Andrés (16 weeks today, aww he's so gorgeous...) and I just got the job of Admin assistant in a college when I was about to marry, and right after the wedding arrived the baby, just when I got FIT for the first time in my life.

I do have to carry 16lbs of baby everyday like at least 60 mins.. but when it was sunny I used to walk into town as fast as I could manage with the pram (there is no log on activity for that, so I log it as Walking, very brisk pace, but I guess pushing the pram also adds). I live in England and weather here is hardly ever nice in autumn winter... so I don't feel motivated to go out for my long walks (at least 60 mins) so now I bought new Work outs, as the one I used to do before the wedding is a loads of jumps, and I still find hard to control the bladder after 30 mins of jumping! so in the end I decided to invest in new targeted dvds for abs!! and also for dancing, to see if I feel more motivated, and so far I've been doing them every day since I bought them.. at least 40 mins. They are 10 mins mini work outs, and I find it less stressful to do them... because the reason why I wasn't doing my work out is because they were 20 mins long, and I didn't want to start it and leave it up when baby wakes up from his nap. And he sleeps no more than 3 hours during the day, so not much time. So if at the end of the first, the baby is still asleep then I do another one, and then another one... and well.. until I get tired! :D.

Also.. I like to keep the house tidy and clean and I take like a challenge to clean it as fast as possible, so I run like a mad person up and down the stairs to put all the things where they belong, sweep, mop, fold clothes, and all that, I do it in 2 hours... and then I add it as vigorous effort. Don't be shocked if you see in my diary.. Walking upstairs... I log it, because the nursery is upstairs, and I do tend to always go to his room to change his nappy, I did it on purpose so I would have to force myself to go upstairs every single time I have to change his nappy!:D

And well.. any mum is welcome to add me as a friend, and read my blog where you can find pics of me before and after pregnancy. And me NOW! And also I like to add some tips about food that REALLY helps to lose weight!:D

When I was a child I did loads of sports, not very successfully but graciously enough to be healthy and fit until I reached 20.. then I started living by myself... then going back home, study abroad again.. then I got quite overweight.. but I´ve been like everybody up and down. The biggest I've been is 10st 6lbs..(1 st = 14lb, I'm just writing this quick as hubby is waiting for me in bed already!) (or 68 kilos!) and 61 the slimmest in a good patch. I managed to lose all those kilos or lbs before the wedding.. and be 59 and fit! but I fell pregnant straight away..
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    MrsNoir - Welcome to the group! I think, based on your use of the word, that a pram is a stroller? This is the word for it in North America, and I think there is an entry for this :) Thanks for sharing! (p.s. I didn't know what SAHM was either at first...:)

McCallsmommy - Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

arlygyrl - Welcome! Sounds like your day is completely packed - I totally see the challenge there!

bluestarlight19 - Thanks for the candid response. I hope your mom joins - what a great way for you two to bond, support eachother, and take care of yourselves...
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Carolina, a pram is like our strollers with a bassinet, where the baby can lie down. A regular stroller (sitting up) is called a pushchair or a buggy. :)

This "being active" week is not working out for me, as I seriously injured my back on Sunday. I'm in a lot of pain, and lifting babies is NOT helping. :( I can't fathom the idea of working out right now. Boooooooo!
  • goodntentions
    goodntentions Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear from everyone again :)

Tell us about your exercise regimen:
    - what do you do?

I had to change my workout a little starting this week.
    Mondays - full body strength training
    Tuesdays - 60 mins elliptical
    Wednesday - full body strength training
    Thursday - 60 mins elliptical
    Fridays - Full body strength training
    Saturday - 60 mins elliptical

On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays I head for the gym around 5:30 a.m. since the boys are still asleep and hubby is still home. It takes me a good 30 mins to fully wake up because I have to get my coffee in :-) before I can function. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, my husband goes to ROTC PT (physical training) at 5:30am so I go to the gym once he gets home.

I have been active sporadically throughout my life. The most recent before now was right before I got pregnant with my 4 1/2 month old son. I wanted to stay active throughout my pregnancy but got extreme morning sickness that first trimester and went from 125lbs to 113 in 6 weeks. Thankfully once I started my 2nd trimester the doctor gave me a prescription for it.

Anyways, this week I began increasing the reps and weight during my strength training, and it feels awesome!! I know I am stronger. It's really nice to see results.
    We are moving to Miami, Florida in two months and a few friends of mine currently do CrossFit training. It looks amazing! I plan to start once we move. Also, I've never been a runner, but have always wanted to be. Any tips from any runners about how to get started?
  • CindyC72
    CindyC72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the weight loss wagon since Saturday. I've been eating too much and not exercising at all. Not that I get alot of exercise to begin with. I'm mad at myself but time to get back on track.

For exercise I go for walks or use the treadmill. That's it. I usually do both for about 20 minutes. I know I should go longer but I get so bored. If I had someone to walk with me it wouldn't be so bad. Well, I do take my two year old in his stroller but he's not much for conversation other than pointing at every vehicle we see and telling me what it is. lol. My hubby goes with me once in a while and my 11 year old is too cool to be seen with me. :laugh: With it getting colder I will have to use the treadmill more but that is boring as well.

OK, so I know I need to step it up. I have a few dvd's. I like the Walk Away the Pounds dvd so I will start doing that a few times a week. I also have 30 Day Shred. I did that one for a couple of weeks and felt like I was gonna die. I also have one that is pretty fun.

Thanks to you all. You are inspiring me to do more! :flowerforyou:
  • carolina_r
    Options
    CindyC72 - I really relate to what you wrote!! I too get bored with just walking or using my at-home stationary bike. My little guy is 7 1/2 months, so he doesn't even point out cars...I haven't been able to "walk for walking's sake" - the only thing that has worked for me is to make it an errand. I go grocery shopping almost every day! "Oh, we need more bread" - so I walk to the store, but in a longer, indirect way so that I get a bit of a walk in. I'm doing 30DS currently, and for the moves that kill me (i.e. the bicycle crunches...my legs can't handle it!) I just make my own modification and keep going (i.e. regular crunches for a bit, then back at it). Anyway, glad that you are back - you have already had so much success...you can do this!!!

goodntentions - Your dedication is inspiring! Good for you!

feydruss - Thanks for the info about the pram! I was close! Sorry about your back...take it easy. Are you able to move your arms? Could you do arm raises in a chair to get your heart rate up? (I know this might not be possible...it is amazing how much the back is involved in your everyday activities, and you never really appreciate it until it is hurting...)
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Tell us about your exercise regimen:
    - what do you do?
    I have been switching up my exercise routine a lot lately but I think I have found something I like.
    I try and run at least 3 miles a day and then do 30DS every other day for strength training.

I am home with my kids for now, so I usually do it before they wake up or while they are napping.

It's fairly new. I was taking martial art class and going to the gym daily a couple years ago and I was looking great, but then kiddos came along and I feel like I am starting all over again.
  • nickynik
    nickynik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I am new to MFP and found this group while looking for other new moms. I had a beautiful baby girl on July 8 and have to go back to work on Dec 1. I gained 50lbs while I was pregnant and the first 35 fell off quickly but I have hit a wall. I have about 12lbs left to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight so that I can fit into my work clothes when I go back in 6 weeks. I was at my highest weight when I got pregnant and would like to be at least 10-15lbs lighter than that when all is said and done. I am breastfeeding and trying to make time to exercise, as well as making better food choices but it is not easy. I take yoga class about 2x/wk, try to walk, and carry my daughter around all the time but realize this just isn't enough. I need to make some changes so that I can feel and look healthier and more confident. I look forward to hearing everyone's stories and successes!:smile:
  • McCallsmommy
    McCallsmommy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What a great group of mommies.

Well, I didn't exactly follow through on my plan to get up early and exercise while my husband was home (DS woke up at 3 and didn't go back to sleep until 7). My husband and I were so tired, we just fell asleep until it was almost time for him to leave. But, because I had promised this group that I would get back on the wagon, I made sure I did something anyway. I did C25k with my son in his jumperoo, and ran around him in circles, making him giggle. Then we both did tummy time! (him on his activity mat and me on my yoga mat)

It really helped me today to not only promise myself to exercise, but to promise myself I would have to confess to all of you if I didn't!!
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I have been looking for a thread like this to follow & am very excited to have discovered you guys. I have been a member for a while now but have been struggling at being motivated. Hopefully having a bit more support will be the push I need & the encouragement I have been missing.

I am generally a person who enjoys being active (it's my sweet tooth & portion sizes that are my downfall). We are a family of 5 & my husband works straight nights, is in school part time & I am on maternity leave. My exercise routine is somewhat all over the place as a result. Sometimes I have to work out 3 days in a row and then miss a few, which I don't enjoy but it is all about making the best of what I've got.

I go to the gym 3 times a week for a cardio workout. I typically do a minimum of one step class & 2 other sessions of cardio on the machines (elliptical for 22 min & arc for 30 min). If our family's schedule allows it I will throw in another step class or a zumba class. I also go 1 time a week for an evening Body Flow class (Yoga, Ti chi, Pilates mix).

I have a Phil & Ted's jogging stroller with the additional seat. I would pretty much marry it if I could. I use it with either one or both my kids for a minimum of 3 walks a week. Each walk is a minimum of an hour in length. Sometimes depending on who I am walking with and how wide the sidewalks are, if I just have my babe I will use my mei tai carrier instead of the stroller.

I am attempting at working pilate dvds into my at home workout routine as I had really good past experience with them for toning & definition. I am struggling at it because by the time the evening comes I just want to sit on my couch and have a few minutes to myself. I am starting small & just trying to get 1 a week in at the point.

I do all the day to day stuff that mom's do such as cleaning the house, doing laundry, groceries & all while carrying atleast a babe, if not a toddler too! I don't usually track that sort of stuff as I figure it gives me a buffer if I miscaluclate or estimate something wrong.

Take care Ladies & I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts :)
  • carolina_r
    Options
    stritte14 - Welcome to the group! Wow - I am impressed at the amount of exercise (particularly classes outside the home!!) that you are able to do despite your situation...You should be very proud of yourself!!! As for all the "mom activity" stuff - I also don't log it, but I put my lifestyle down as "lightly active" to account for it (rather than entering it each day). I'd be curious to know what others are doing with all that activity!

McCallsmommy - Good for you!! You didn't let exhaustion completely determine your day - tough to do. I hope you enjoyed the yoga session...and perhaps you will have a chance to get up early tomorrow? I'm rooting for you!!!

nickynik - Welcome! I think you will find the site very helpful. For me, it is working better than any other thing I've tried out there. I hope you experience similar success!! If you have any questions about the site, feel free to ask the group - lots of combined experience here!!!
  • carolina_r
    Options
    Has your baby ever changed his/her pattern and totally thrown off your plans? Of course they have!!!

Mine decided that he was going to wake up (and STAY AWAKE...) about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs before usual...there goes my plan of waking up early and working out...

And when I was feeding him this morning, he bit me...OUCH!!
  • britesideoflife
    britesideoflife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ow! I hate it when they do that! (Bite you!)

I also find it frustrating when the babies change their routines and mess up your plans. I tried to go for a long walk yesterday but my little guy wasn't having ANY of it and I had to turn around and come home...
  • britesideoflife
    britesideoflife Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I have a Phil & Ted's jogging stroller with the additional seat. I would pretty much marry it if I could. I use it with either one or both my kids for a minimum of 3 walks a week. Each walk is a minimum of an hour in length. Sometimes depending on who I am walking with and how wide the sidewalks are, if I just have my babe I will use my mei tai carrier instead of the stroller.

I have one too and it is FAB!! LOL at marrying it!!!
  • carolina_r
    Options
    I tried to go for a long walk yesterday but my little guy wasn't having ANY of it and I had to turn around and come home...

I have definitely been there!! Guess it is a good thing they are so darned cute...
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Sorry for my absence this week. I just recently returned to work full time. I work 12 hour shifts, so when I get home I try and spend some time with the kids, then I run with the dog, shower, spend time with the husband and I haven't figured out yet where to fit in all my MFP stuff :)

For my workouts I just started C25K. Days that I don't do that, I do a Jillian Micheal's DVD. I just joined the gym at work, so on my night shift breaks I'll add a little spin bike or elliptical or something.

I either workout in the morning when my youngest is sleeping (days off), when I work a 12 hour day I workout when I get home, after the kids go to bed. So far when I'm working nights I haven't done much (except sleep) hence....joining the gym.

I have never been an active person above and beyond walking my dog. So this, and healthier eating is still new to me. I had big plans for running and some weights today...but my kids have passed along their head and chest cold to me....so I think today will be a rest day :(
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! My back is much better (yay!) but now I'm fighting a cold. Booooo!

But I'm hoping to take the boys down on the trail with the all-terrain stroller today. That's an hour of pushing 80lbs up big hills, and never fails to make me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. I was hoping to go to deep water aquafit last night, but spent the evening in bed watching documentaries on my iPad.

I figure that by Sunday I'll be back at the gym lifting and running and rowing and stuff again. I can't wait until our renos are done, then I can work out at home again! There's some stuff I still love doing at the gym, but it would be nice not to have to leave the boys all the time to work out.

I'm very lucky in that having a nanny during the day makes my life very flexible, but she's going away for 6 weeks and I'm trying to figure out what my schedule will be so I can fit exercise into it. Nap times will be key, I think!
  • carolina_r
    Options
    feydruss - Glad to hear that your back is feeling better!

Jaytee32 - Sounds like you've got a dedicated plan to keep exercising even with full-time work. What a challenge!! (I am not looking forward to it...)

P.S. I believe both you ladies are from Alberta...Lovely province! My sister lives there :)
  • CourtneyLeigh83
    CourtneyLeigh83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a mom to two wonderful kids; an almost four year old girl who just started school this year and a 2 1/2 month old boy. A little over a year ago I decided I wanted to be more active. I have struggled with my weight almost my whole life so I decided I was ready to change that.

My daughter is very active - she is in organized activities 5 days a week so our schedule is crazy! In August of last year we started her in karate, which she LOVES. The dojo where she practices also has adult fitness classes - cardio-kickboxing, TRX, bootcamp. I started taking the kickboxing classes at the same time as her karate two days a week and found I absolutely loved it! It was a great motivator to be in the same place at the same time as my daughter's karate class because I had no excuse to not go to class. So I got to the point where I was 25-30 pounds away from my goal weight, and then I found out I was pregnant. I continued with the kickboxing until three days before my son was born and felt great my entire pregnancy. I was back at it as soon as he turned 6 weeks and I got the go ahead to start working out again. I found I really missed it during my time off.

Now that I am off work for a year I am packing as much activity into my schedule as possible. I joined a weight-loss challenge with some friends and friends of friends and I am doing everything I can to win, but I did not decide to get active just to win the challenge. I decided to get active and lose weight and the weight-loss challenge just happened to present itself at the right time. I go kickboxing 2-3 days a week, I joined a strollerfit class once a week and I started with a personal trainer once a week at the dojo where I do kickboxing - and she is kicking my butt!

I have found that while I originally thought I didn't like working out, (I get bored, I find working out to videos not very motivating), I actually quite enjoy exercising - all it took was finding something I enjoy doing where there are people that can motivate me.

I make my health a priority. I make time in my schedule for exercise because I have to in order to get to where I want to be. I know the few hours a week exercise is taking me away from my kids is making me so much healthier so that I can be active with my kids and set a good example and we can have more fun when we spend time together.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    CourtneyLeigh83 - Welcome to the pack! Wow - I really enjoyed reading your post! Your exercise regimen looks fantastic - sounds like you do it not just for the weight loss / health benefits, but because you genuinely enjoy it! How can you go wrong? I love how you have used your daughter's karate classes to commit yourself to your own workouts...what a great role model you are!