Couscous seasoning

Options
shorty458
shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
Does anyone have any homemade low in sodium couscous seasoning they use? I've been craving couscous, but not the sodium and looking for some good seasonings for it. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Louieanne
    Louieanne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out www.all recipes.com. Its a fantastic sight and its free!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    have you tried moroccan couscous, they have it mildly sweet, with meat, orange juice and raisins

http://www.ehow.com/how_5073822_make-moroccan-couscous.html
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Check out www.all recipes.com. Its a fantastic sight and its free!

Thanks - yeah I've been on it, but haven't found much for a couscous seasoning recipe, except for one that I already tried.
  • SueB54
    SueB54 Posts: 5
    Options
    I buy couscous at the health food store, a 1-2 pound bag of it and then make my own. It's 1 and 1/4 cups of water to 1 cup dry couscous. Bring water to a boil with alittle bit of Olive Oil in it then add couscous and simmer til done (approx. 15 minutes). Then I can add whatever I want to it and not have all the extra salt and processed stuff in it:)
    Hope this helps!!
  • calamitydown
    Options
    I think the OP was talking about what to season bulk couscous with, not using stuff out of a box :P I've never tried this, but you could always look for some low-sodium chicken bouillon and add it to the water when cooking (or cook the couscous in chicken broth), add some Italian seasonings (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc.), finely diced carrot, onion, and garlic, chili flakes (if you like a little heat), and salt and pepper to taste?
  • landofmiddlegirth
    Options
    There's always the old standards of sautéing carrots, celery and onion or garlic, combined with some herbs. Really, you can do whatever you like with it. Couscous is extremely versatile.
  • meredithd13
    Options
    cous cous. lemon. of course. lemon lifts the cous cous. i can't imagine it without lemon. little bit of stock, a bit of olive oil after you've drained it. and then lemon.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I season mine with the following: (stir through cooked cous cous)

-Sundried tomato paste, chopped sundried tomatoes & fresh chopped basil

-lemon juice, chopped spring onions (salad/green onions/scallions) and fresh chopped coriander (cilantro) and lots of ground black pepper.

- Harissa paste (morrocan spice paste) and lemon juice

- Green or red pesto.

- Jalapeno peppers, coriander (cilantro) and salsa.

- A little natural yoghurt & chopped fresh mint.