is there an app to track my walking (if i dont know distance

Options
so this might be a silly question, but im a college student and my college is near a walmart (im unsure of the distance, but its a good piece of ways, not to mention its on a hill) anyway, is there an app that I could find for my android phone to track how many calories im burning. something I can just hit "start' and "stop" and it tells me?

*edit* I went to google maps and typed in the address of both the school and the walmart and according to it, it's 0.6 miles.

but i'd still like to know of an app.

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    See if you can download the "Nike +GPS" app. It's awesome - and you can sign up on the website and it keeps track of all your "runs" (walks) so you can see the total distance, set goals, etc. It works with your GPS so I'm assuming you have to have a "data plan" as well on the phone.

If you don't have a data plan, try to find a "pedometer" app which will keep track of your steps and give you a pretty good idea of how far you're going.

Good luck and keep walking!
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use Cardiotrainer. It will tell you how fast you are going, how far you went, steps you took, and time. It's really great.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper

That's what I use. I've tried Cardiotrainer and My Tracks but go back to Runkeeper.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    This isn't an app but I have a Garmin Forerunner that I use for EVERYTHING. Even kayaking. So I can see how far I went. it's great for running, walking, biking, rollerblading, etc. I love it. I don;t have the one with the heart rate monitor, but there is one available.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic on my phone.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic on my phone.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use Cardiotrainer. It will tell you how fast you are going, how far you went, steps you took, and time. It's really great.

how can it do all that? amazing! thank you. i think even while im walking around walmart ill let it track lol
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    cardiotrainer rocks but its android only (i think), runkeeper, imapmyrun, endomondo, allsportGPS, sportstracker, runtastic to name a few
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use miAdidas for the iPhone but I bet they have it for the droid, too. Free. I love it. Lets you track miles on your shoes (so you don't end up with shin splints using broken down shoes). Creates a training plan for you (if you want). Tracks the route on a map. Gives you stats over different spans of time. Plays iPod music along with it if you want. miAdidas has a web interface, too, for even more functionality.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    mapmyrun and runkeeper. both are free!
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    Runkeeper

That's what I use. I've tried Cardiotrainer and My Tracks but go back to Runkeeper.

runkeeper? not just for running? can it tell you distance and etc. even if your unsure?
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper

Me too. Love RK!
  • mabrams184
    Options
    I use the app iMapMyWalk and it's website. It will track your walking,running,etc.. You can record other workouts with this app too. It gives you time, distance, speed and other information as well. Good luck and have fun!
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    I use miAdidas for the iPhone but I bet they have it for the droid, too. Free. I love it. Lets you track miles on your shoes (so you don't end up with shin splints using broken down shoes). Creates a training plan for you (if you want). Tracks the route on a map. Gives you stats over different spans of time. Plays iPod music along with it if you want. miAdidas has a web interface, too, for even more functionality.

ahhhh *sigh* another reason i'd loev to have an iphone. :( ill look into that one too.
  • kitkat536
    kitkat536 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My favorite is iMapMyFitness. It shows the hills you climbed and it's steepness, plus it shows how much you walk and what your average pace is.
  • charlesalvear
    charlesalvear Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use Cardiotrainer with the free Noom add-on. I ended up getting the Pro version of Cardiotrainer for free via Amazon's free app of the day a while back and liked it.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is what I use. I swear by it. Keeps track of walking, running, swimming-- basically any activity.

Tracks your calories burned, distance. There is a free app for most phone and a pro version for those that want more features.

http://www.endomondo.com
    https://twitter.com/#!/Endomondo
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper

runkeeper? not just for running? can it tell you distance and etc. even if your unsure?
    Yes, it'll keep track of anything that's not underwater. And you can manually input workouts on stationary bikes, treadmills, etc.

Another note, most of these will use your phone's GPS so unless there's lots of windows, you're probably going to lose that signal. My Garmin lost signal in a tunnel during my half marathon, but then picked right back up when I got to the other side.
  • nanadup
    Options
    I use cardiotrainer and I have a android it is free really like it..