Anyone else drink A LOT of water?

Options
Hi everyone,
I carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go (literally). It holds 24oz, and I refill it anywhere from 7-10 times a day. That's... a LOT of water. Here's the thing though - even though I'm always drinking water, I'm still thirsty all the time. I've been drinking this much water for years, so it's not like my body is adjusting to something new.

Does anyone else drink this much water and still feel thirsty all the time?

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're thirsty all the time could possibly signify some underlying medical condition.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Could be a sign of diabetes. I would check with a dr.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I drink about 1.5 gallons of water a day.
  • terriepage
    terriepage Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As long as you've been checked for diabetes...it's probably ok. I drink a lot of water...sometimes 2 gallons a day. I need it, I crave it. If I have sweat a lot during a work out Trader Joe's electrolyte water is my drink. It just keeps me from getting depleted. You probably have great skin too!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're thirsty all the time could possibly signify some underlying medical condition.
    That is true. Couldn't hurt to see the doctor...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I have about 4 sips of water for my supplements.

Tea and coffee get me through the day :)
  • mellyboo17
    mellyboo17 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know that if you have diabetes you get thirsty a lot.
    I say just go for a check up.
  • dchae85
    Options
    It depends on what you do too. I mean, I carry around a 1.5 liter bottle with me all day in school and refill it at least 2 or 3 times. About 3.8 liters is a gallon. But I'm also working out everyday I'm at school and walking around almost constantly. I have to take frequent trips to the bathroom too haha.
  • rebok21
    Options
    Yes! I have only had water to drink my whole life and I drink a ton! I have a 1 liter bottle that I always have with me (sometimes 2) and I refill them several times a day and I can drain that thing in a flash. I have talked to doctors over the years and they say its just because my body is so used to so much water. Blood work is always great, I'm just a very hydrated person. I love my water and wouldn't want it any other way!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I *start* with a 100 oz bottle every day. It's gone by lunch. Yeah. I drink a ton of water. I need it. My body seriously makes me drink it. If I miss even 1/2 glass of what I normally get, my mouth is literally parched! I thought it was a problem but my dr. said I broke the "water barrier" and not to worry. Just drink what I want.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree that it could be a sign, however I usually feel this way and my blood sugar has always checked out ok. I usually average around 10-12 servings a day. Where that's not quite as much as you, I feel it's over the normal 8 and I'm always watching my sodium intake. But I don't feel I'm overdoing it. I feel like my body wants that much lol And I know that's more liquids than I used to drink, when I drank nothing but sodas, koolaid and sweet tea.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My doctor requires me to drink at least gallon a day. That would be more than 5 of your bottles. So 6 or 7 is nothing that isn't healthy. The thirst might be an issue if you haven't been checked for conditions.
  • elcorcoran
    Options
    Thanks people!!
  • jillinthbox
    jillinthbox Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton too! My mother jokes about diabetes, but I have been tested and am healthy. I just enjoy drinking it. Quenches my thirst. The only fear is drinking too much as it can wash all of the electrolytes out of your body. Be sure not to over drink (1 gallon + depending on your body) without eating something salty.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. It is certainly true that this could be the sign of an underlying medical condition, but for me it was an over drinking problem. Disclaimer: I was tested for diabetes and thyroid conditions, as well as parasites and a few other things. All things came up negative. I later learned that your body can only absorb about 4 oz every half hour. When I drank water, I was literally drinking a liter of water every half hour, or whenever I decided I was thirsty. I experimented to see if drinking only four ounces (4 to 8, I don't really measure) every half hour would make a difference, and it did!!! I'm actually better hydrated now. I have to pay more attention to when and how often I drink and not just slam down water, which is irritating since its an unfamiliar habit, but I'm into week 3 of doing this and getting used to it, and feeling better. I am definitely less thirsty all the time.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-insipidus/DS00799

My friend has diabetes insipidus and she can never quench her thirst. She too drinks a ton of water. You may want to get checked out. It is not the same as regular diabetes, it is totally different, has nothing to do with your blood sugar levels from my understanding. Get checked out. You will have to mention it to the doctor by name though more than likely cause it is not commonly looked for.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go (literally). It holds 24oz, and I refill it anywhere from 7-10 times a day. That's... a LOT of water. Here's the thing though - even though I'm always drinking water, I'm still thirsty all the time. I've been drinking this much water for years, so it's not like my body is adjusting to something new.

Does anyone else drink this much water and still feel thirsty all the time?

I dont drink alot of water, but when I do decide to drink a glass of water, I feel extremely thirsty and can drink 3 glasses with one meal. I drank water for 2 weeks straight (no crystal light, no green tea, just water) and I drank so much, and I always felt thirsty!! I know how you feel. a 24 case of water wont last me 2 days.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    oops!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I take a 24 oz bottle with me to work and try to fill it 2-3 times throughout the day - I'm also using it to replace my excessive Diet Coke habit I have (mostly) kicked and also cut back on the coffee (not so easy!).

I have type 1 diabetes and went through the pre-diagnosis constant thirst. It was extreme - I mean extreme - and also came along with other symptoms you'd probably notice as well (maybe different for type 2 though).

Get your fasting blood sugar and A1C checked if you're worried..