Alternatives to peanut butter

Options
I love peanut butter but for obvious reasons, I don't eat it much anymore. But I still crave it. Any one have any suggestions or alternatives?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand the "obvious reasons" you're not eating it. I have it nearly every morning, I just won't eat the Jif/Skippy fake stuff.

Some people use pb2, which is a powdered product created when the peanut oil is removed from peanuts so you're left with peanut dust but I haven't tried it.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Natural peanut butter is really good for you!
  • havs23
    havs23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is actually good for you so i'm not sure why you're avoiding it... just don't eat a ton and don't eat the kind with a lot of hydrogenated oil and stuff
  • jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    agree, also try raw almond butter, very good for you and has a different taste. I think 1 tbsp is about 100 cals, not that bad. Esp. if you put it on a celery stalk, that's a pretty satisfying snack for 100 cals.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    PB is good for you, i dont see why you should avoid it
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the Jif's the Skippys but get it fresh ground. - One of the issues is that peanuts are full of pesticides to begin with. Even if they are healthy - they have issues. In addition - commercial peanut butter has a lot of fillers and preservatives.

Almond butter is one alternative. It tends to be a little dry - so I sprinkle it with a little almond oil and stir.

Walnut butter has a lot of healthy phytochemicals (I have not seen them commercially)
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    Also get the salt reduced one!
  • MomsDumpling
    MomsDumpling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Health food store, it's called Just Great Stuff Organic Powdered Peanut Butter.....45 cal and 1 1/2 fat in 2 tbs. It really isn't too bad at all.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the reasons either. Peanut butter is fine, just check your labels and look for ones that don't have anything other than peanuts and maybe salt. If you're not getting the ones with unnecessary oils and sugars added, it's fine.
  • dchae85
    Options
    There's natural peanut butter which is a good deal better than the other stuff.. which someone else just said too lol. There's also almond butter, apple butter, and a few other varieties out there. Apple butter is really light and the one I have (from Musselman's) has 30 Cal/1 Tbsp, 0 fat/sodium/cholesterol, and only 8 grams of carbs. The only bad thing is that it has 0 protein too.
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am a peanut butter addict i love the natural stuff ....this one brand naturally more is really good and healthy but still 2 TB is 200 calories which is too much for me since i could easily eat 3 servings worth. I do use an alternative called Better N' Peanut Butter it is not the same exact taste as real peanut butter it is a little sweeter but still good. 2 TB is 100 cals. They sell it at at whole foods it is a little pricey but worth it for me. :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Um....maybe some Nut Butter....

you know NUTELLA.

Dirty minds!!!!!!!!!
  • Dannypuck
    Dannypuck Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My wife works at a preschool and they serve sun butter made out of sunflower seeds. Here's more info.

http://www.sunbutter.com/blog/tag/sunbutter-nutrition
  • heidil45
    Options
    I am allergic to peanuts, so I am wondering what would be a good replacement?
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Um....maybe some Nut Butter....

you know NUTELLA.

Dirty minds!!!!!!!!!

Freshly made is the best.....Really I promise!!
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Get some organic PB or switch it up to some almond butter, not the same creamy taste but you get used to it!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love almond, walnut, pistachio, cashew butter....oh and the sunflower butter someone mentioned is good, too!!
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    PB2 is great - 45 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein in 2 tablespoons! The Chocolate PB2 is also great as well.
  • fiat
    fiat Posts: 17
    Options
    i too think that peanut butter is deeeelicious but at 100 calories a tablespoon its way too expensive when i only have 1200 a day; and one tablespoon is just not enough. i'm going to look for that 45 calorie stuff, thanks for the tip!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I used to eat Almond Butter, but I found that I like Peanut Butter better. I eat only the 'grind yourself' peanut butter from Whole Foods or Raley's...that way it's only peanuts and no other additives. Peanut Butter is not bad in moderation.

Better 'N Peanut Butter is indeed yummy, but it's more like dessert and has a lot of extra ingredients :

PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

I think just plain ol' grinded up nuts is better for you!

Lucy :)