Fiber

Options
Clara
Clara Posts: 88 Member
Does anyone have ideas on how to increase Fiber without increasing sugar? It seems that all the cereals that are high in fiber also contain sugar or a sugar substitute.

Replies

• Clara
    Options
    Does anyone have ideas on how to increase Fiber without increasing sugar? It seems that all the cereals that are high in fiber also contain sugar or a sugar substitute.
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I use benefiber.It works well:flowerforyou:
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    just be careful,, all that fiber can have consequences ,hahaha :ohwell: but benefiber is easy to take. good luck
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    You can use a fiber supplement but it's best if you can get most of your fiber from food. Vegetable & fruit, whole grains. Quinoa has a good amount of fiber and can be used like rice. I like Brownberry's double fiber bread. It's 90 cal per slice and has 6g fiber. For cereal I like fiber ones honey clusters a serving has 14g fiber. One bowl of that and I'm halfway to my goal for the day on fiber.
  • ayana90leshai
    Options
    eat more veggies, vegetables are loaded with fiber wit barely any sugar
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Spinach
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    Personally I like all bran flakes. but others are right you should try to get your fibre from fruits and veggies. oatmeal is also good
  • bbybug
    bbybug Posts: 7
    Options
    Flat out light brand wraps have 9g and are a good alternative to bread.

Plus, be sure you drink enough water! I learned the hard when when I upped my fiber, but not my fluids.:embarassed:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Potatos with the skin - and without all the toppings :smile: - oranges, things like that will help.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I got one for ya.....

1 cup instant oatmeal
    1 ¾ cups water
    2 scoops Whatever Protein Powder you use
    Nonfat milk (or I use 1 cup of Prune Juice)
    sun dried raisins, nuts or fruit
    2 cups raw spinach (chopped)

That'll give you one helluva fiber boost and probably clean you out pretty good too. It looks like raw butt when you mix it up.... but tastes just like a protein shake with oatmeal in it. Good luck.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good food with plenty of fiber available, whole grains, vegies, etc. I would suggest that you gradually increase your intake. A couple of grams per day or so until you get where you want to be. I went from like 6 - 10 grams to 35 in one day, and that was very painful! :heart:
  • mdimarco929
    Options
    veggies n scrap the cereal for some good old oats n throw in some berries or bee pollen for flavor
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you don't have issues with carbs, one peice of Aunt Millies 12-grain whole wheat bread has 6 grams of fiber in it. Saves me every time.
  • heygirl1954
    Options
    I have a problem going over on protein and still having plenty of calories left,any suggestions?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Apples and blueberries are both loaded with fiber, and fiber one granola bars are awesome!
  • Short_Stuff
    Options
    General Foods Fiber One Chewy Granola Bars have 9 grams of fiber in each bar and they taste great, well most of them anyway ! And they are also pretty filling so 1 goes a long way during the day.
  • hulfordca
    Options
    I don't know if you live in the part of the country where the is a stop and shop grocery store, but the Stop n Shop brand cereal called Fiber Select has 14g of Fiber per serving and 0g of Sugar. I usually have 2 servings for Breakfast (only 50 Calories per serving also) and get my entire my entire days worth of Fiber PLUS some.
  • Clara
    Options
    Thanks Everybody. Wow. You guys really know your .... Fiber!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    low sugar high fiber cereals I like are Kashi Go-Lean and Nature's Path Smart Bran.
  • mamiof3
    mamiof3 Posts: 39
    Options
    I do the Fiber One granola bars and also the Thomas English muffins makes a light whole wheat english muffin that's packed with fiber.