how often do you weigh yourself

Options
Just curious who weighs their self once a week or month and who weighs their self daily? and what are the pros and cons of each?

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Everyday. I log my weight into an app that gives me a trend line and use that as my official weight.
  • Newstart5
    Options
    I weigh in every Friday which works well for me...I think weighing everyday isn't as beneficial because everyone has 'off" days and I don't need anything to discourage me. Plus the only difference day by day is usualy water weight so I feel once a week is more accurate and it gives me motivation to look forward to seeing how much progress I made for the week!

Just my thoughts! :)
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    Everyday. Keeps me motivated.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    once a week - same day/same time, no clothes and after using the bathroom :ohwell:
  • tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh in once a week but I'll get on the scale maybe twice a week Whatever my scale says thurs morning about 7:30am thats what I add here. I used to weigh in every day but there are days that I lost a pound or a half pound and felt amazing then days were I gained a pound and I know I did everything right and then get up set and give in to bad foods!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week and thought I was plateaued because the scale wasn't moving. I started weighing daily and saw that my weekly cheat meal (which I started as a way to try to jumpstart loss to begin with) was killing my progress. I'd lose all week, then jump up a bunch of pounds after the cheat, then lose all week and jump back up again. So the weekly weighing looked stagnant, and the daily showed what was really happening. So I stopped the weekly treat and the weight has been steadily dropping solidly again.

I weigh myself every morning, in nothing but my undies, right after using the restroom.

I also track everything in a spreadsheet that pumps out charts for me. I enter my calories, exercise burn, weight, macro percentages net calories and daily burn (from my BodyMedia Fit). It's extremely eye-opening to see all of the cold, hard data like that and how everything meshes together each day.
  • donne103
    donne103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much everyday but only count my weigh in's on Friday.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    Everyday. Keeps me motivated.

Like another poster it allows me to see a trend. Honestly as long as you are consistent then it really doesn't matter. I found myself being anxious all week for "weigh day" only end up sometimes feeling discouraged, moody and irritable. Before having kids and gaining extra weight...I weighed daily anyway.

It works for some but not everyone.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was weighing in daily, but all the fluctuations are driving me crazy!! Now starting a challenge to not weigh in til Oct 31 st. Anyone want to join me??
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    Once per week, Saturday, for me...in the morning, after using the bathroom, and weigh without my pajamas... :smile:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Every single day without fail! It helps to remind me where I'm at and what it takes to stay there! Everyday fluctuates and I had to get used to that too. It's a real learning experience and I'm glad I'm more in tune with my body.

Will I do this forever? Maybe, maybe not.......but it is good for now.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and record the results in a spreadsheet to monitor trends. I'm fairly unemotional about the weighing process so I'm not thrown by the ups and downs since I'm all about the data. (Research shows daily weighing leads to better long-term weight loss, but for practical purposes I'd only do this if you can stay emotionally detached from the number.)

While I log everything at home, I only log my weight in MFP when it is a new low. While I'm emotionally detached from the number I used to get aggravated when friends got hyper excited about losses that I knew were losses of water weight gains...since all my recorded weights in MFP are now "real losses" I don't have to fret it. :smile:
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I find it a struggle to weigh in once a week but that's what I shoot for. I HATE weighing in! It messes me up. I find it very difficult to stay on track after a weigh in, for some reason I always tend to eat more on scale days! But the days leading up to the weigh in I do really well cause I'm so nervous about what it will say. I pushed it to a week and a half this last time and lost 4.5 lbs, then ate too much today :(

But it is important to know where you're at, that's why I try not to let too much time go by
  • heatypablo
    Options
    I weigh every morning, I only update my weight on MFP on Tuesdays.
    The morning weigh-in reminds me of my personal daily goals and helps me to stay motivated.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning after the bathroom... I only log on Tues. mornings though. Keeps me motivated.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I was weighing in daily, but all the fluctuations are driving me crazy!! Now starting a challenge to not weigh in til Oct 31 st. Anyone want to join me??

I would die from lack of weighing! LOL
  • Jhunte05
    Jhunte05 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing my self once a month. Only because I don't have a scale and wait for my for my dr apt to find out. It gives me bigger numbers and motivation. But the wait is sometimes too long. I never weighed myself daily because I dont want to get discouraged with off days or water or whatever. I think if I see myself gain, I'd be scared to give up. I would like to start doing it weekly or ever two week as sooon as I can get to the store and buy a scale. I see that with everyones responses that everyones likes are different. So, I would try different ways to see which way works best for you. Good luck on your journey and dont give up
  • erickalsc
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Saturday morning.
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    Every saturday but sometimes ill hop on the scale just to be curious. I go by my weekly results because between water weight and off days the scale changes. I make a weekly goal and at the end of the week i see if i make it!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    another daily weigher here. and actually, i weigh twice a day. :) it has really made me see the reaction my body has to too many carbs and i love to see the overall trend. it also helps me to see where things are hormonally and what certain exercises do (like retaining water). i feel like i would be missing out on a lot of knowledge if i only weighed once a week.