Flourless Protein Pumpkin Muffins

Options

Replies

• lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Mine also turned out spongy. They still tasted good and the 4 people who tried them said they weren't bad, but did seem a little egg like in texture. I used the muscle milk vanilla powder from Costco and doubled the recipe.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Gonna make these!
  • kp155
    kp155 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm going to try these..the chocolate version sounds good to!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I think the protein powder has a lot to do with it. Mine had only a slight sponginess to it. Not all powders taste good on their own or mix as easily. Maybe adding a little more fat to the mix will help with the texture.

I discovered Scivation when I saw someone on MFP talk about "sludge". (it's a protein and almond butter mixture) You can google "sludge" and it will lead you to a video on how to make sludge with Scivation. Sludge is a yummy, chocolatey treat on it's own. I've also used sludge as a topping on my greek yogurt or desserts. (it's like having a chocolate, caramel topping) When you are using protein powder as the primary ingredient for something, you need to make sure you have a really good tasting protein powder!

Edit to add:
    If your protein powder doesn't taste good enough to drink it if mixed with only water, I wouldn't use it for this recipe!
  • justforjoyce
    justforjoyce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I did something similar but added in 1/4 cup of ground almonds and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour because I thought I needed that to hold it together. But I'm really interested in your version without the flour. Was it like a custard that you ate with a spoon or could you really treat it as a muffin? Thanks!
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi. I did something similar but added in 1/4 cup of ground almonds and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour because I thought I needed that to hold it together. But I'm really interested in your version without the flour. Was it like a custard that you ate with a spoon or could you really treat it as a muffin? Thanks!

I'm not the person who made this, but I did make the recipe. It held into a muffin form.. no utensils required. I ate the last one today that I had made Monday night.
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    bump! sounds delicious!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I'll give it a go. My protein powder is pretty tasty. Tastes like hot chocolate powder :)

Jay
  • jamie1888
    Options
    I just made a batch.. maybe I'm just used to baking with protein in everything, but it doesn't seem THAT spongey to me. I mean, it's not going to be the same as using flour. But, I don't miss the flour when eating these.

This batch, I made 12. I did add some raisins and coconut. And on a couple of them, I sprinkled a few chocolate chips on top for my son.

I used:

1.5c pumpkin
    3 scoops vanilla scivation whey
    1/4c raisins
    10g coconut oil
    1 egg white
    2tsp baking soda
    3tbl splenda (but this turned out to be way too much!)
    15g unsweetened shredded coconut
    1.5tsp pumpkin pie spice
    approx 1 - 2 tsp vanilla
    a couple dashes of salt

baked for 16 minutes @375

12 muffins
    1 serving =
    61 calories
    5g carbs (3 net carbs)
    2g fat
    7g protein
    4g sugar
    2g fiber

I'll try to post a pic in just a minute...
  • jamie1888
    Options
    6238950477_9f27627b56.jpg
    pumpkin muffins by jamie1888, on Flickr
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Okay, now that I've seen them I'm definitely baking some of these. Thanks!
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    ThinspiredButterfly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bumpp
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    making this weekend :smile:
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jamie1888
    Options
    So, I just ate 2 of the muffins.. after having them in the fridge overnight, I guess they are like eating sponge. I guess I'm just a weirdo that likes the texture of sponge? :tongue:

That being said, the beauty of eating muffins made with no flour is the fact that you have a low calorie, low carb muffin with just as much protein as eating an egg!
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Made these and I LOVE them! I left out the oil and added applesauce instead as well as a 1/4 cup of oats.
  • sueozzy
    sueozzy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks!
  • SraM562
    SraM562 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BUMP THANKS
  • jamie1888
    Options
    I've also microwaved this instead of baking; that works too! Great for a quick snack! I undercooked it once in the microwave and it was a bit gooey; that was yummy as well!