Wii fit says 4.2 miles in 30 minutesbut only...........

Options
So I just tried out the free run on my wii fit and it says I did 4.2 miles in 30 minutes... I haven't ran(for real) for a couple months and my last run was 10 min. miles.... so this could be fairly accurate but it says only 186 calories??????? REALLY!!!!!!!!! I don't own a HRM... not in the budget..... but I was pretty consistent in pace and my pulse 150bpm...... I found this website where you put the info and it calculates for you http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm..... and even there if I only do 130 I get 220cals...
ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM???

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Not sure. But if you have $20, a huge online store has the Wii Active 2 with HR monitor on there. It's awesome!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I plugged it in here and it says 388 calories.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Not sure. But if you have $20, a huge online store has the Wii Active 2 with HR monitor on there. It's awesome!

Really? Hmmm, that's in my budget lol
  • amaion17
    amaion17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i do about 4200 strides on my eliptical and i only get 242 calories and my HR gets about 140-150. its about 2.5 miles.
  • JimCloud
    Options
    Hi. I use an elliptical for 20 minute workouts and burn 250 according to the machie and 330 or so according to MFP. Of course I like MFP's take on it better) My wife gets mad at me cause I don't walk with her but I like to get it over with a little quicker and burn double the calories of walking briskly for 40 minutes. Just a heads up. I would think that running 4 miles should burn more calories but I could be wrong. If it doesn't, I would find something else to do! LOL

Jim
  • WATRD
    WATRD Posts: 25
    Options
    4.2 miles in 30 minutes is 8.4 MPH, that's 7:10 mile pace, 5K in 22:16 and 5 miles in 35:50. Pretty darn respectable and competitive in some races.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I find that the Wii calorie trackers in games are WAY off. I'd wear my HRM doing Wii exercises (e.g. Fit, Biggest Loser, etc.) and I'd burn WAY more than what it said depending on the activity. I'd go with HR estimates or invest in a cheaper HRM if possible.

I haven't heard about the added calorie tracker for $20, so I'm not sure how accurate that is. However, if someone around me gets one I can compare it to my HRM and let you know. :)

Good luck! Just be careful not to OVER estimate. :D
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    with the wii fit free running, it counts the number of steps you take to get the mileage, but you aren't expanding the same kind of energy you would by actually running since you are running in place. i think the wii fit calorie number is probably pretty accurate. i know for me personally (i use an hmr) there is a difference when i run in place and when i actually run. hope that helps explain things.