brussel sprouts

Options
JamesonsMommy
JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
Who wants to share their favorite recipe or tip for cooking these bad boys. I roasted mine tonight with some red potatoes, procuitto, shallots and garlic but the sprouts seemed a little dry :( What am i doing wrong. This was the 2nd time i''ve ever tried them and first time cooking them.. HELP!! p.s. even dry the were amazing.. the brussel sprout has entered my top 5 favorite veggies :)

Replies

• biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love them cut in half and cooked with a little light butter, almonds and a little fresh chives sprinkled on top.
  • 1224mimi
    1224mimi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just learning about these veggies I found an awesome recipe on skinnytaste.com Autumn harvest penne with brussel sprouts...maybe next time try boiling them to tender before roasting...
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    steam them in a little chicken broth at my house...
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i detest them, but i saw this recipe and even i was tempted. she sauteed some bacon, so you'll have to find a substitute, maybe turkey bacon, until it's crumbly. then she separated the brussel sprouts into separate leaves and sauteed them in the bacon fat. it's french. and simple. i love sauteed spinach and i thought that maybe if i sauteed the sprouts this way they wouldnt be disgusting. lol i'm not brave enough to try it.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I throw on some olive oil and garlic and roast them in the oven. ♥♥♥ roasted brussel sprouts!!!
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    well.....I have accepted that I am weird and I like mine simply steamed, then served with some horseradish cream to really spice things up!
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cut them in half, saute in a little olive oil with garlic. Then add chicken broth, cover and steam until tender but not mushy. Remove and toss with FRESH shredded parmesan. DEEEEELIIISHSH!

Also, cut them in half, saute in olive oil and garlic. Add broth and cover to steam. Then stir in light cream cheese and a little parmesan and cracked pepper.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    i love love oven roasted brussel sprouts (although we call them baby cabbages because people seem to dislike the name of the veg but not the actual veg)
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light has the best ever brussel sprout recipe - Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Hazelnuts:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shredded-brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-hazelnuts-10000000780349/

And it only has 59 calories per serving! We make it every Thanksgiving....
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could add them later in the cooking process. They may have just cooked too long.
  • kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    YUM!!
    besides the one below which is my new favorite way (can use frozen ones just let thaw partially and skip the microwave step). You can also use them as a basis for salad instead of lettuce, just cut the bulb part off and seperatet he leaves. add with some lightly toasted walnuts a little honey mustard or whatever you desire.

Grilled Brussels Sprouts
    Ingredients:
     1 lb. Brussels sprouts
     2 tbsp. olive oil
     1 tbsp. minced garlic
     1 tsp. dry mustard
     1 tsp. smoked paprika
     1 tsp. kosher salt
     ¼ tsp. black pepper
    Directions:
    1. Heat grill to medium.
    2. Cut off the stem ends of the sprouts and remove any yellowing outer leaves.
    3. Place the sprouts into a large, microwave safe bowl and heat for 3 minutes.
    4. Add everything to the bowl and mix to combine.
    5. Skewer 4-5 sprouts onto each skewer with the ends facing in the same direction, leaving at least ½ inch between each sprout.
    6. Place the skewers onto the grill, cover and let cook 5 minutes. Turn skewers over and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
    7. Return to original mixture bowl and toss again for extra flavor, if desired.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    OH! my fave recipe from WW -- it's so great for Thanksgiving. Disclaimer: at the top of the recipe I wrote, "excellent!". My husband wrote, "gassy" :laugh:

holiday brussels sprouts

POINTS® value | 2
    Servings | 4
    Preparation Time | 10 min
    Cooking Time | 30 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

Ingredients

1 pound brussels sprouts, steamed (I prefer fresh, not frozen)
    3 Tbsp maple syrup
    1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup dried cranberries

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 X 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Place Brussels sprouts in bottom of prepared pan. (Note: If you can't find fresh Brussels sprouts, use frozen ones that have been thawed; just decrease the cooking time below by about 10 to 15 minutes.)

Combine maple syrup, oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl; pour over Brussels sprouts. Stir in cranberries and bake, covered, until tender and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.

© 2003 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2003 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
    WEIGHT WATCHERS and POINTS are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes for them on their own, but they are pretty amazing when cooked with a pot roast. :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you ever get a chance to go to CLEO in LA, you MUST order the brussels sprouts. OMG . . . . . .
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all these amazing recipes.. I can't wait to try them.. My fiance hates the sprouts but i have fallen in love :)
  • jessiolry
    Options
    I absolutly love love brussel sprouts. I used to cook them in the microwave until my roomie the chef came along. She always quarters them and places them on a baking sheet with a little bit of oil(canola) unfortunatly olive oil will burn them and a little salt and pepper. 425 until crispy. approx. 20 minutes. Delishhhhh!!! If we make other veggies will put them on a differnt sheet because they cook at diffternt times.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    cut in 3rd...toss with 1tspn olive oil and 2tblspns balsamic vinegar..roast in oven on 350 for 25 minutes. Beware of some flatulence :)
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nancer1954
    Options
    I fixed some fresh brussel sprouts tonight. I shredded them with a knife and sauted them in a skilled with small amount of garlic flavored olive oil. I seasoned them with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. (I like garlic.) I stirred them until they were coated with the oil and seasonings and cooked until warm a few minutes. Then I sprinkled parmesan cheese on top. They were awesome! This is my favorite way to eat them. Even better than roasting them in the oven.