Proteins

Options
I have been a vegetarian for 6 years and was forced to go back to eating meat for health concerns. I mainly lacked foods that were rich in protein, and with my crazy schedule, just didn't have the time or energy to spend on tracking my nutrition in take to make sure my body was getting all the nutrients it needs. But now, i've started to actually keep tract of it more often then I had in the past. I'm a picky eater and the only meats I like are turkey/chicken breast. However, even though I'm eating some meat again, I still seem to be lacking at least 20g of protein. Anyone have any suggestions on foods that are quick and easy to make but also rich in protein?

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    HA! I am a vegan who gets 100+ grams of protein a day.

Drink a protein shake or two a day.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a protein powder? You can whip that into a smoothie, add some milk and fruits - and *BAM* - instraprotein power!!
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protein. Unless you are looking for it to come strictly from a meat source, then I'm not sure. I get most of my sources of protein from egg whites, tuna and yogurt and I average 100g a day give or take.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I add hemp protein powder to my oatmeal, it is awesome.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Was a Vegetarian for a long time, and have now started introducing fish, chicken and turkey back into my diet. No red meat for me, and all fowl is free range/hormone free. I eat eggs, peanut butter, nuts, low fat cottage cheese (limited -- sodium!) -- also Luna and Think Thin bars, and occasionally protein shakes. You can take a look at my diary if you want -- or send me a FR, we can support each other if you like!

Lucy :)
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian all my life and have been on a diet for past 3 months. I drink protein shakes everyday! It supplements my protein requirement.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I only eat meat one or two nights a week and always go over on protein. Most of mine comes from Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs. I am too cheap to buy protein powder, but that would be an excellent option.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Oh, and some other quick protein hits:
    Eggs and Dairy

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)
    Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I just smoke a bowl then have the oatmeal. It's pretty awesome, too. :smokin:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

*does not want to get banned*
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options

I'm sure he's posting from a state where it's medicinally acceptable, and therefore should be fine. Fine. FINE! I'll vouch for his card!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

lmao! didn't even realize there was a little smiley smoking guy!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

lmao! didn't even realize there was a little smiley smoking guy!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I'm sure he's posting from a state where it's medicinally acceptable, and therefore should be fine. Fine. FINE! I'll vouch for his card!
    But of course! I'm nothing but lots of legit.
  • summer_soul
    summer_soul Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas guys.
  • summer_soul
    summer_soul Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Was a Vegetarian for a long time, and have now started introducing fish, chicken and turkey back into my diet. No red meat for me, and all fowl is free range/hormone free. I eat eggs, peanut butter, nuts, low fat cottage cheese (limited -- sodium!) -- also Luna and Think Thin bars, and occasionally protein shakes. You can take a look at my diary if you want -- or send me a FR, we can support each other if you like!

Lucy :)

I don't eat red meat either :)