Counting calories when eating out

babyfatz
babyfatz Posts: 9
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
Counting the calories when I eat at food courts is driving me nuts! The food stalls won't have calorie guides and what-not.. and most are sort of home-cooked versions... how do u count the calories?

Replies

• I find something that is very close to what I've eaten .... worst case break down what you ate into pieces and find the individual calories for each piece ... like if you ate a sub w/ white bread, ham, turkey, tomato, lettuce, and mayo but couldn't find it in the database you could find each individual part
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    I will do what the above said or I will pick the same dish from a different resuraunt... Usually it is close..
  • Fairysoul
    I will do what the above said or I will pick the same dish from a different resuraunt... Usually it is close..
  • Also, Do you have a smart phone? My wife and I have pretty good luck with most everywhere we eat. I know it is expensive but I don't think I could do it without my HTC. For what it's worth....

Jim
  • Fairysoul
  • Fairysoul
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    I know what you mean!
    It really has to be your best guess. I try to overestimate on calories eaten and under on exercise calories.

Good luck
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    I won't eat anywhere where I can't get an exact calorie count on their menu items..
  • I won't eat anywhere where I can't get an exact calorie count on their menu items..

Unfortunately that's not feasible in the country i'm living in right now.. we have food hawkers and food stalls and most are just really mom n pop kind of shops.. and mostly local dishes too.. i can only get exact calorie counts when i eat processed food which i'm trying to avoid now..
  • Also, Do you have a smart phone? My wife and I have pretty good luck with most everywhere we eat. I know it is expensive but I don't think I could do it without my HTC. For what it's worth....

Jim

I do have an iphone.. if i see the barcode, i can scan it.. but if it's at a local food stall, quite difficult to even guess the serving size / portion.. :(
  • I find something that is very close to what I've eaten .... worst case break down what you ate into pieces and find the individual calories for each piece ... like if you ate a sub w/ white bread, ham, turkey, tomato, lettuce, and mayo but couldn't find it in the database you could find each individual part

I try to do that as much as i can too but sometimes i don't know what else is in it and also like the serving size / portion...
This discussion has been closed.