Suggest me a good weight training DVD

Options
I am on Day 9 on the 30DS ,and it is killing my knees. I do an extra few minutes warmup , but still bad and it is not going to work. I have never had knee problem before, but it is getting worse by the day.

I love the workout, but it doesn't worth to destroy my knees over it. After reviewing many cardio DVds , I decided maybe i will just stick to my elliptical for now on. i love my bike at the summer, so myba I will ask for a spinning machine for Xmass.

Anyway, I still want to do weights , but doing from book is boring an not very motivating.
Please do not advice to me to go to the gym, I want to workout at home. I have 4 sets of handweights(3-10 lb), a barbell bar with weight plates upto 50 lb with a bench + a chin up bar. If I have to I can get some kettle bell, but I do not want to purchase any other big equipment.
Any suggestion on a good DVD?
It can be weights only or circuit with absolutely NO jumping. I have terrible coordination, so no zumba/ dance with weight etc.
Thanks!

Replies

• KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    i hope you get some good replies.

I had the same problem with 30DS and what I do is when she does the cardio section I jump on my elliptical for those minutes.

However, 30DS is more for endurance than strength, so I am alternating it with "proper" weight training ie heavier weights lower reps.

A weight training dvd would be great!
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Its not a dvd, but if you are able to, I suggest aquafit classes for people with knee injuries, it gives you a great workout based on how much effort you put in, is VERY safe for the knees, and you don't sweat too badly (since your in the water!)

Knees are a sensitive thing, so you may just stick with the 30ds, but find other exercises that are more supportive of your knees during the time they do the ones that hurt you.
  • crawfsoldan
    Options
    I really like Chalean Extreme circuit training from Beachbody--low impact weights only workout.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hollywood Trainer Cardio Sculpt DVD - no jumping or running around a small room, low weights, high reps. Just be careful with the lunges as they can be stressful on the knees.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Jillian Michaels "No More Trouble Zones" which is weights and circuit training style. I have gotten fabulous results from that workout. Since you have a K-Bell I also like Michelle Khai "Kettlenetics" I bought that one from a tv shopping channel but I have seen it at Target and I know Amazon and Walmart have it as well.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Yep, I like 'No more trouble zones' too, but you could try '30 minutes to fitness' by Kelly Coffey-Meyer - strictly weight training only and not bad at all. Just not the same humorous approach as Jillian!
  • criscros08
    Options
    CHALEAN EXTREME! ILOVE IT. DID THE 3 MONTHS AND AM NOW IN THE LEAN FOR LIFE PHASE.LOST 12 PERCENT FAT SOME WEIGHT AND MY BODY CHANGED LOTS. REALLY HAPPY ABOUT IT. MY HUSBAND AND SISTER STARTED NOW TOO. IF YOU DECIDE FOR THIS ONE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME. I USED TO HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS AND FOUND A LOVELY GIRL ON HERE WHO WAS FURTHER IN THE PROGRAMM AND SHE GAVE ME SO MUCH ADVICE. BY THE WAY I DIDN-T FOLLOW THE FOOD PLAN BUT DID EAT PRETTY MUCH CLEAN WITH ONE CHEAT DAY A WEEK.
    DONT GIVE UP IF THE FIRST TWO MONTHS DONT SHOW ON THE SCALE.... I WOULD JUST TAKE MESSUREMENTS AT THE END OF EACH PHASE. WHATEVER YOU DECIDE....GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump to save for later
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme seem awfully pricey. I know it is a ton of different workout, but right now, I only need one.
    I rather get one DVD using for a month then buy a 2nd and so on. I just don not want to pay out upfront before knowing if I like her style or not.

No more Trouble Zone users: This JM has no jumping jacks and such? I like her style and I actually like the circuit style , and more weights would be welcomed too. My only concern with her is the knee thing.
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    Tony Horton's P90X one on one dvd's are really good. They target specific areas of your body to work on. Tony's really old school in his weighlifting techinques. They work for me.
  • Gypsymorph51
    Options
    Bumpity-Bump :wink:
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    No more Trouble Zone users: This JM has no jumping jacks and such? I like her style and I actually like the circuit style , and more weights would be welcomed too. My only concern with her is the knee thing.

No, there might be a bit in the warm-up (can't quite remember), but it isn't circuits that alternate weights with cardio - it's just weights and abs/resistance. It's good.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme or get the New Rules of Lifting for Woman book.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    P90X works for me. Tony has some work arounds if you have problems doing the work out.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Buy any one of the following Rushfit DVDs on their own if you don't want to buy the whole package. They are wicked awesome. And have nice eye candy to boot!
    - Stength and Endurance
    - Full Body Strength
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sound just like me!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    P90X one on one with Tony Horton would be a great option for you I think. They are about $20 per workout. You can buy one, use it for a month and move on.

If you have any questions about them let me know :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    go to turbulencetraining.com. Craig Ballantyne has a literal library of workouts that you can order. They are designed on an excellent concept (he calls it turbulence training, which is explained at his site).