New and Frustrated

Options
For the last 6 months I have tried to lose weight , I am very frustrated as I have gained weight instead of losing any. I have had a personal trainer for 4 years. I lift weights 3 times a week, pretty hard core. I will admit that I do not do any cardio, I loath cardio, but I am going to start hitting the treadmill this week.

For the most part, I truly eat pretty good, I easily stick to 1200 calories a day if not less as I forget to eat or am just too busy to eat.

My weight gain has been in my stomach, its getting so big. I really need some advice for eliminating this weight. I am at my whit’s end .

Any suggestions are welcome, please help. :happy:

Thank you,
Kat

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eating more very well might help your efforts, you know...increase your daily calories and try to be better about eating. If you're exercising and getting that few of calories in a day, I honestly feel you would do better to eat at least 2-300 more calories in a day.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Being completely honest your calories seem extremely low on top of weight lifting 3 times a week I truly don't understand how you can be gaining weight. Unless there's a lot of binge eating that you're not telling us about. I will certainly help anyway I can but I need all the details I mean like I said at that amount of calories and exercise 3 times a week I would assume your weight loss should be right on track. I am sorry to hear thats not the case but stay motivated and keep setting new goals. My motto is this: "If you didn't get what you wanted, then you never really wanted it." Best of luck to you!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If it's a bunch of heavy strength training all the time, it could be a lot of water retention in sore muscles as well.
  • legsfordays
    Options
    1,200 is too big of a deficit for your (and anybody's) body. I was on a diet that low in the beginning of the year, and yes I lost weight, but I gained it all back once I started maintaining. I suggest aiming for 1 lb. a week, eating the recommended amount for your body calculated by MFP, and getting some exercise in.

Cardio can be a *****, but I find that I'd rather work up a sweat than stress myself out over going over my daily limit. Right now I'm eating more or less 1,500 cals a day and exercising 60 mins. everyday, and I'm still losing weight.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    First off I would definitely recommend cross training . . .some cardio. . .some weights. . .but switch up the types of exercises that you do, because if you are always doing the same exercises you body becomes accustomed to it and will cease to go anywhere as far as weightloss. .. .

Secondly . . I don't know how tall you are, but I wouldn't go any lower than 1200. . .I would personally make sure that your activity level and stats are correct here on mfp as they build in a calorie deficit for you.

As far as your stomach getting big. . I would have to know more about your diet and specifically what types of exercises you are doing. . .Hope this helps.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Wow 1200 cal with hard core weight lifting!! Something doesn't sound right are your portions accurate? Maybe not measuring the serving size accurately. If you arnt being sure you could think your getting one serving when u are getting 2 or 3, especially if your gaining.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are not eating enough for hard core weight lifting and your body could be trying to preserve every cal that comes in. Also you might look into food sensitivities. When I quit massive amounts of proceesed food and gluten, I dropped 11lbs without trying. It's hard to tell witout looking at your diary.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I have the same issue, I have a lot of belly fat. I just bought a book called: "Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health". Actually a member here recommended it. It hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but it has awesome reviews!
    You might have a wheat sensitivity, like me. I was tested and I have a strong sensitivity to wheat and wheat bran.
    Also I eat a lot of sodium and that makes my belly bloat up too. So I have to try to cut it out of my diet.
    And weight loss is 80% food/nutrition and 20% exercise.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    yep
  • kittyscream
    kittyscream Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is NO binge eating, trust me I have major stomach problems and had stomach surgery earlier this year, I have a hard time keeping food down most of the time. So there in my frustration lies. I wish I could figure out why the heck I am gaining so much weight.

I am 5" 4" and my current weight is 130.4 pounds, I know that does not seem very heavy but for me it is and not a pound of weight will budge.

I will agree that I need to add cardio to my routine and will do so, I actually hit the treadmill tonight after returning home from the gym.

I monitor my portions pretty good but I am sure I can improve. Typical daily food consumption is scrambled eggs and bacon in the morning, an iced coffee with no sugar just 1% milk will not lie. Then a home made salad for lunch, snacks consist of low fat string cheese or raw almonds with some raw sunflower seeds.

I do not ever drink soda, I drink water or herbal iced tea.

Dinner is hit or miss as I train in the evening and do not seem to have much of an appetite, so I will eat some whole wheat Kashi crackers and a wedge of baby bell cheese.

So do you see my frustrations, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I so appreciate all and any advice or tips.

Many thanks and much gratitude
  • briamycolson
    Options
    I agree with all the posts...you are not eating enough calories. Exercise is important too, not for the calories burned so much, as for the other benefits like stress relief, energy boost, etc., which in turn, will help with the weight loss!

When you say you are gaining only in the belly...have you checked with your doctor??? You should. The issue can definitely be related to eating the wrong foods at the wrong times and causing bloating, but there are many other medical reasons for belly bloating that you should examine if you haven't already.

Oops.............sorry..........our messages crossed! I see your post now that you have seen a doctor...so, I hope that things improve through using MFP...

Good luck with your journey!!!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    There is NO binge eating, trust me I have major stomach problems and had stomach surgery earlier this year, I have a hard time keeping food down most of the time. So there in my frustration lies. I wish I could figure out why the heck I am gaining so much weight.

I am 5" 4" and my current weight is 130.4 pounds, I know that does not seem very heavy but for me it is and not a pound of weight will budge.

I will agree that I need to add cardio to my routine and will do so, I actually hit the treadmill tonight after returning home from the gym.

I monitor my portions pretty good but I am sure I can improve. Typical daily food consumption is scrambled eggs and bacon in the morning, an iced coffee with no sugar just 1% milk will not lie. Then a home made salad for lunch, snacks consist of low fat string cheese or raw almonds with some raw sunflower seeds.

I do not ever drink soda, I drink water or herbal iced tea.

Dinner is hit or miss as I train in the evening and do not seem to have much of an appetite, so I will eat some whole wheat Kashi crackers and a wedge of baby bell cheese.

So do you see my frustrations, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I so appreciate all and any advice or tips.

Many thanks and much gratitude

You need to eat more food. Google "starvation mode".
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I would seriously recommend some cardio, as others already have. I did not start losing much weight at all until I incorporated cardio into my weekly routine. I do Turbo Fire 6 days a week and 2 cardio workouts each week. Perhaps you have a dairy allergy? I'm sure it's been explored already, but it couldn't hurt to be tested if you haven't already.

Definitely should be eating more too, I know for some it is hard especially to find the time, but even if you don't feel hungry that doesn't necessarily mean your body doesn't need nourishment. As others have said, if you're not getting enough calories and you're working out, your body is going to cling to the little that you do take in, thus no weight loss. Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
  • calamitydown
    Options
    i agree with most of the replies here- up your calorie intake and add a little bit of cardio. taking the dog or significant other for a walk (or even just yourself!), cleaning the house hardcore, taking a fun bike ride- all of those can get in some good cardio without being chained to a treadmill :)

also, when you start logging (if you haven't already) make your diary public so people are able to make some suggestions on your food choices and/or share yummy recipes :)
  • kittyscream
    kittyscream Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and all the suggestions, the reason I am consuming the 1200 calories was based on the assessment on this site. I will work on increasing my calorie intake and doing the dreaded cardio.

The responses have been wonderful and very helpful.

Once again many thanks to each and everyone, I will publish my food tracker as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Off to bed as 5:30AM comes much to early.

This site is great, I am hoping with all the help and support I can reach my weight loss goal.

Thank you,
    Kat