maintainers..

Options
to all maintainers, how accurate have you found the calories given to you, too little, too much?
share your experiences i am curious :)

Replies

• ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    MFP is pretty accurate surprisingly. It allows me 1500 and I typically stay about 1400-1500. I have used a diff calculation based age, height and weight and it allows me about 1800, I would be a cow LOL.....although maybe that does not let you eat back your workout calories.....so then it would make sense.
    I find that more than calories I have to watch my carbs. And most calculations don't take that into effect.

I look at it like this.....eat a certain amount, if your gaining, then something isn't right. :)
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    It's been pretty good, though I find if I go over by a little bit for a few days, I don't gain anything. I can eat 2,400 a day, plus I burn another 450 via exercise 5x a week, so most days I eat 2,500 to 2,700 calories. I've been holding within a pound of my end weight for the past 6 weeks.

So far, so good!
  • jeff261159
    Options
    I was given 1750 but have never gone over 1500 as i cant see the point of eating for the sake of it!! Ive managed to stay within 1lb of my goal weight so far!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    When I set my calories to maintenance MFP allowed me 1540 calories. This seemed like a big jump up and I questioned whether I would really be able to maintain eating that much. I've stuck to that for 2 months now. Most days I am short of my calorie goal by 10-50 calories and I go over about once every 2 weeks. I have lost 2 additional pounds.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would do better of I could stick to the calorie goals everyday, but I am just so hungry sometimes it is hard. I only got an extra 200 calories when I switched to maintenance and after a year of this I find myself wandering off the limits somedays.

I have a 2 pound gain limit and then I start taking notice more strictly. I actually keep my calorie goal set to weight loss so it will be a little more obvious when I need to get ahold of myself.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Not so accurate for me - I maintain on 1370 - which is what MFP calculates for 1/2 lb loss per week. So I just follow that and it works fine for me in maintenance. The maintenance cals it gives me is 1610, which I haven't tested long term, but is likely too high for me.
  • errbear315
    Options
    I recently lost 20 pounds and am now trying to maintain that loss. I was told I could eat 1700 if working out steadily, but I tend to hover just below 1400 per day (I work out 5x per week). I am continuing to lose weight, but I'm considering upping my intake to 1500. we shall see ha.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to maintain it told me to eat about 1800 calories a day. What are your heights/weights? 1800 seems like a lot for maintaining.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to maintain it told me to eat about 1800 calories a day. What are your heights/weights? 1800 seems like a lot for maintaining.

im 5'2 and 50 kgs (110lb) and mfp gives me around 1700, so that isnt that high! im so short and i only get 100 cal less than you, keep in mind mfp seems a little low.
    i maintain at around 1900-2000 cals a day (workout 5-6 days a week)
  • shovav91
    Options
    I generally eat about 1400-1500 a day. I haven't really noticed a change in weight so far. I set it to gain .5 lb/ week and it told me to eat 2040 calories, which isn't really doable for me. Maintain it is, I guess!
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    I've found that I can maintain with calories allowed when I set it to 1/2 lbs weightloss goal.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I found that sedentary maintenance calorie levels were still giving me a slow weightloss, but lightly active + eating exercise calories worked for me.
  • shovav91
    Options
    I found that sedentary maintenance calorie levels were still giving me a slow weightloss, but lightly active + eating exercise calories worked for me.
    How many calories are you eating per day? Or how many are they telling you to eat?
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me to eat around 1700 per day to maintain, but honestly, I'm not so good about logging my calories any more (though in the last couple of weeks I have tried!). I'm probably usually right around that, and I don't really eat more on the days when I work out vs. days when I don't. I weigh myself every day so I can see it quickly if I go up a pound or two for more than a couple of days, and then I know I need to cut back on calories for a day or two to get back on track. It's been working so far.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not so accurate for me - I maintain on 1370 - which is what MFP calculates for 1/2 lb loss per week. So I just follow that and it works fine for me in maintenance. The maintenance cals it gives me is 1610, which I haven't tested long term, but is likely too high for me.

if you ate more you would probably start losing again.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Or how many are they telling you to eat?

Hmmm. It was over a year ago but I think my sedentary base calories were in the range of 1750. My lightly active base is between 1800-1900. That's before exercise calories, though, and I have to aim for at least 2200cals average a day if I want to maintain. Any less and I start losing again.