This used to be easy...

Options
When I first started using MFP, I was amazed at how easy it was for me. The weight just kept coming off each week and I hardly worked out and didn't feel deprived. But lately it's become a struggle. I started exercising regularly and seemed to suddenly hit a plateau. Then my calorie allowance dropped below 1800 calories and now I struggle to keep within my limit and have begun feeling hungry, especially in the evening when I'm out of calories. I've become more prone to cheat days and am giving in to urges for junk food more than I used to do.

I know I need to start changing my diet to eat more lower calorie foods that will help fill me up more, but I still could use some motivation and support. I'm not sure why a 60 calorie reduction is suddenly so difficult for me or why exercising seems to be keeping me from losing the weight that used to just melt off when I started.

I'm just tired of looking at the scale and not seeing any improvement.

Replies

• richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    a plateau is a natural thing, i had mine in September. I used it as a sign that i needed to make some changes to my exercise routines and i am losing again in October.

Your body will eventually get used to doing the same thing so you should be looking to make changes every few months or so to keep the body guessing what you will be doing and when you will be using energy.
  • jenvic
    jenvic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey! Keep going. I use to be a weight-loss consultant. Almost, everyone eventually hits a plateau. Maybe eating some foods that are more water based. Strawberries, Watermelon, Cucumbers, with a few tablespoons of cool whip, mrs, dash. Your body has to adjust, you will get to losing weight again!
  • KLi531
    KLi531 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had to change my workout plan a little and just hang in there while my body was being a brat. Eventually it'll start coming off again.

:)
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    oh this is disconcerting .. I just started and lost 5 lbs in a week.. I was so surprised and happy.. then i started daydreaming about getting to my goal weight faster than i anticpated... But from what you guys are saying i could platue at anytime .. that would be depresssing .... ... so how long does it take to platue? .. I am just using my treadmill right now for exercise .. What different type of exercise would i need to do .. .And eating more fruits can help you get off the platue? I just hope i can loose 20 before i platue I just want to get into the next size jeans i have for awhile :)
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know some people don't bother recording their water intake so I'm not sure from your diary whether what you've put in for water is what you're having. If it is then I would definitely recommend upping your water intake to the 8 cups - it helps to keep you feeling fuller.

I don't know if it'll help but there's loads of brilliant recipes that are lower calorie versions of restaurant favourites (e.g. http://www.skinnytaste.com/) and the like that will help you feel virtuous and full (great combination!).

You've already lost 19lb which is awsome - you're doing the right things so don't worry too much. As your body adjusts to the exercise the weight will start coming off again.

If you want more advice from people who've been there you can search the forums for 'plateau'.

Good luck, hope you break through the plateau soon.
  • Clinno
    Clinno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am only into my 3rd day and have set myself a 1350 cal. Limit which surprisingly enough is not as hard as I thought if would be. I do worry a bit about metabolism so I spread the food out well and always have at hand my water and almonds. My diary is open for anyone willing to give advice :)