Help for a snacker please

Options
Hi, I just started out today and have gone over calories as I get hungry every 2 hours and really need to snack. Most things I have eaten as snacks in the past seem to have too many calories and I don't want to spend days experimenting and making mistakes. Does anyone have suggestions for low calorie yet filling snacks please?

Replies

• glcbilt
    glcbilt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chop up a carrot and have it with houmous - a great snack :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Apples, nuts, greek yogurt, even peanut butter on a spoon will do.

I personally try to keep my snacks to about 200 calories or less.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am a huge snacker, but I have forced myself to eat fruit and veggies as a snack. I also sometimes have a piece of string cheese. Occasionally, I will have some Special K Cracker Chips or another carb filled snack...but I find they make me hunger because they are empty calories.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Water. Most times when you are hungry you are actually thirsty (or actually bored). Before you consider eating a snack, drink a 250ml glass of water and wait for ten minutes. If you still feel hungry, eat some of the things other posters have suggested.
  • belbel79
    Options
    All veges cut up - carrot, celery, sugar snap peas etc make great snacks... I am a snacker too.. lean towards the not so healthy stuff though..
    Florida's natural Au'some Fruit Nuggets (52 cal)
    Alpen Light Summer fruit bars (61 cal)
    Yogurt (can be as little as 60 cals for a tub)
    Jelly (under 10 cals)
    Golden Oak Sesame snap minis (52 cals)
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    if you are a salty snacker -- roasted chickpeas or hummus and carrots/cukes
    if you are a sweet - apple and some sort of nut butter or spready cheese
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on dry roasted edamame- they are high in fiber, less fat than nuts, and you get some plant based protein as well. If you find yourself really suffering from 'sweets cravings', the company I distribute for just launched a new weight loss truffle that is all natural, dairy free, has no artificial sweeteners, and is gluten free. It is formulated to help you manage cravings for 1-3 hours. Here is more info. if you'd like it:
    http://www.lean4life.awarenesslife.com/extras/links/big/
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    A bowl of berries (blackberries, raspberries and blueberries) with some fat free Greek yoghurt. 1 - 2 pieces of Ryvita with low fat cream cheese and some cooked tomatoes or I'll cook up some peppers, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes (and whatever left over veggies I have in) with a little bit of seasoning (I generally use Cajun or barbecue spice mix (around 5 cals a tsp) and eat it with salad for something hot (I find hot food more filling) to tide me over until dinner.

I generally prefer things that I have to put effort into making so if I really need to snack then I'll have to get up and do something about it.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    satsumas, apples, quavers, weight watchers bars, have a look at you friends diarys and see what they eat to get ideas :smile:
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Special K chips
    100 calorie snack packs
    water, water, water, water
    Yoplait light yogurt
    pistachios
    fruit
    Skinny Cow chocolate
    Special K Fruit crisps

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    apple, yogurt, sugar free jello pudding, pickles, and rice cakes are some of my fav snacks. most of them are filling enough and they're convinient (since i do most of my snacking at work). sometimes at home i'll have half a turkey sandwich, no cheese.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough protein with your carbs (in meals and/or snacks) it will keep you feeling full longer. Plain greek yogurt with fruit is a good one. The flavored greek yogurts can sometimes be high in sugars.
  • Christina9388
    Options
    I am also a snacker and I tend to be drawn toward salty snacks. Recently I incorporated low-fat cottage cheese as a morning or afternoon snack and it seems to have satisfied my cravings. It's packed with 14 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, and 90 calories. It's also good with pineapple as a snack or with a salad. Hope this helps!
  • Karen_Gallagher
    Karen_Gallagher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pickled onions are great to snack on, low cal and low fat, i love em! Herbal teas and as everyone else says, water. Good luck :wink:
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars, Special K fruit crisps, mixed nuts lightly salted, mini rice cakes, sugar free jello, baby carrots, 1 tbsp of peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread, peaches, broccoli, and the list goes on and on. I try to stay around 150 calories or less, except with nuts, they are around 170. Also, anything with lots of fiber will be more filling. And, last but certainly not least, WATER, WATER, WATER!! Just as someone said earlier, sometimes its not that you're hungry, you are actually thirsty, and this will fill you up also. Good luck!:-)
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Snacks are GOOD. I have 3 snacks a day my morning snack is a protein shake (following my morning work out) I usually have a apple, nuts, raisins, banana, carrots (one or two depending on my hunger. My evening snack is popcorn or frozen yogurt. Snacks keep your metabolism going through out the day, keep it working eat every three hours or so.

More important to staying in your calories is watch for empty calories during meals and snacks. If you put it in your mouth does it give you something, or is it just empty calories. Its amazing how many foods are high in calories but don't have any real nutritional value. EX: Candy, Chips, ect. Your diary is locked so I was unable to take a look at what you are eating but if you cut out the empty calories you should have extra to snack. Feel free to take a look at my diary for some Ideas of whole foods for meals or snacks. There is Complex Carbs which are better for you and take longer for your body to burn, such as a yam instead of a white potato, Wheat Bread instead of white bread, Good for you breakfast like Shredded Wheat, eggs rather then sugary breakfast like doughnuts.
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice...I've got some great ideas from here, and have used some today, and so far it looks like I will stay under calories. I haven't set up a diary,but as suggested I will look at others' to see what they're eating, as I need ideas for meals as well. It's all abig learning curve at first. Been through it all with Weight Watchesr before, learning points values for everything and knowing what I could have....time ot start learning all over again...I hope I do it quickly so that I can start losing quickly.

:happy: