a wee running problem... (may be TMI for some)

Options
Hey all,
so I absolutely love running and am quite a new runner... The only problem is no matter what I do when I'm running I gotta go potty and do a number 1... anyone else experiences this and know any ways of stopping it?

P.S. I am only 19 and have never been pregnant

Replies

• assilem4791
    Options
    I have the same problem with jumping jacks.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I make sure I go before my run and then I ignore it the rest of the time if it comes up, unless I *really* gotta go. If you are worried, you can wear one of those pads that protect your underpants. I have ignored it to the point that I ended up having an small accident (LOL) but at that point I was already so sweaty that it didn't really matter.
  • DafphineSpencer
    Options
    do your kegal exercises religiously. they make incontinence pads that are not huge and bulky. also, there is a med (i can't remember the name) to help control this....talk to your doc. many, many women have this same problem...especially those who have given birth. i laugh about it and tell people i am multitalented. i can walk, sneeze, and pee all at the same time, lol....best of luck!!!!
  • nirvana1
    Options
    yep, I have to go to the toilet before taking on any exercise, lol. TMI- I pee'd myself doing oblique twists on the 30 Day Shred!
    It's not too bad when I'm running but I always make sure I only sip at water before hand and then wee just before I set off.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    i have the same problem with running and other bouncy activities (i.e. jumping jacks, jump rope etc)... i usually just go to the washroom and do what i gotta do, and then i find i'm fine for the rest of my exercise.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 and gave birth so any sort of exercise that requires effort causes wee issues! LOL I wear a panty liner all the time to catch the spritzes that happen!! I find I have the urge to go more later in teh day, because of all the water I've been drinking all day. Maybe run earlier in the day before gulping down the 8 plus glasses of water, if you aren't already. Definitely go to the bathroom right before heading out for your run though.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i have never had this problem untill i was skipping doing interval training the other day... i had to pee every 10 seconds...
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with jumping jacks.

You and me both!! I can't do jumping jack without having a little leakage problem! Sheesh, never thought there would come a day when I would actually admit to that!!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i have never had this problem untill i was skipping doing interval training the other day... i had to pee every 10 seconds...

but yeah i dont know how to stop it, which is gay because i love doing skipping in between strength/weight training to keep my heart rate up.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I only have to worry about this when I do squats... lol I can see myself doing it if I am not careful!!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    a tampon inserted normally to put pressure on the urethra and pelvic floor muscles, and a panty liner to catch the drips that come out by accident. If you're really over weight, it may get better as you lose, it has for me but I still need to be protected when I go for a run or go to karate class because I never know if he's going to make us do jumping jacks...
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Detrol LA for years...of course, I have had two kids & am over 40. Body just ain't what it used to be. :laugh: :wink: :laugh: :wink:
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    hey, giving birth is not the only reason for a week bladder or weak pelvic floor muscles. I have had two children and I have no problems at all with leaking. I think it has to do with for years I use to hold my wee in for as long as I could before going (even as a baby my mum said I could hold forever when I was out but as soon as I got home, whoosh!! LOL).

This is what I googled and found for you.....

During urination try to cut your flow in mid stream for 10 seconds, or less. Just as long as you can completely stop it and hold it for a few seconds. It will be difficult to do. Release and try it again. If you can't then wait until the next time you use potty. Do it at mid stream, not when your bladder is almost empty. Not as effective. After a day or at the most two, you should be able to develop your muscle and strengthen with this exercise. The goal is cutting stream completely for a duration of 10 seconds, each time you urinate. Keep doing it for a week and see if there is a difference.

Kegel exercises require that you contract your pelvic muscles for 10 seconds at a time and then relax them for 10 seconds. You will do this 10 times in one session and repeat each session three times per day.

Hope this helps.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    a tampon inserted normally to put pressure on the urethra and pelvic floor muscles, and a panty liner to catch the drips that come out by accident. If you're really over weight, it may get better as you lose, it has for me but I still need to be protected when I go for a run or go to karate class because I never know if he's going to make us do jumping jacks...

You should never insert a tampon when not on your period, you can really end up damaging your vagina.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I heard "The Doctors" On TV tell about tampon use to put pressure on the urethra.

Learn to do Kegals. Do them everytime you come to a red light in your car.:wink:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I heard "The Doctors" On TV tell about tampon use to put pressure on the urethra.

Learn to do Kegals. Do them everytime you come to a red light in your car.:wink:

What are Kegals? :S
  • lourie_p
    Options
    I don't have accidents, but I've heard kegal exercises are good for incontinence. I have to pee all the time though and it effects my exercise. I like to run on a trail that only has one bathroom so I drink my morning water, go potty before I leave the house and stop drinking (switch to gum) then i go potty when I get there. Sometimes I have to go during the 30 minute run, but it's not toO uncomfortable if I time my drinking right.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options

What are Kegals? :S

see what I wrote above!!
  • mbnharrison
    mbnharrison Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and I've had a baby but I had a real problem with this prior to giving birth. Most of the advice that you've already heard really is the answer - kegal exercises are a must even if you didn't have a weak pelvic floor and bladder. Start doing them now! The practice of stopping your urine flow and holding it for 5-10 seconds and then starting again is especially effective. In addition, some active wear companies make underwear specifically for wee accidents and could be a useful alternative to panty liners etc.
  • herillusion
    herillusion Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've had an issue with going to the bathroom a lot before I started running and I still have it while running. I usually go to the bathroom before I run. I always have the sensation that I need to go through the entire run. It is annoying. I put on a panty liner to catch anything minor. The thing that bugs me the most is that I am a mouth breather so I take water and when I feel that sensation of having to go -- drinking water makes it worse. But if my throat is dry - I drink still but it is one of those things that I do. I have ended my run about 3 minutes early due to really having to go to the bathroom.

kegals are great to help!