Please someone try this....

Options
LuckyLeprechaun
LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
and tell me how it is. The idea is that the oats fill up the fiber content, so a little serving fills you up, but I want a braver soul than me to try it first:

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup instant oats
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup packed baby spinach, thinly sliced
1/4 cup packed basil, chopped, plus 1 sprig
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 egg white
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound all-white-meat ground turkey
olive oil cooking spray
1 can (26 oz) diced tomatoes, plus juice
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 oz whole-wheat pasta, cooked according to the package instructions
PREPARATION
Heat oven to 400˚. Mix oats and yogurt with 1/4 cup water in a bowl until oats begin to absorb liquid. Add spinach, basil, Parmesan, egg white, half the garlic, salt and pepper, and stir. Add turkey and mix until well combined. Form into 16 2-inch meatballs.
Coat a large, oven-safe stockpot with cooking spray. Add meatballs and bake until they begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn and bake 10 minutes more. Add remaining garlic, basil sprig, tomatoes and wine. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through and sauce begins to thicken, 20 minutes. Serve immediately with pasta.
The skinny
314 calories per serving, 3.3 g fat (1.3 g saturated), 40.4 g carbs, 3.7 g fiber, 22.9 g protein

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    and tell me how it is. The idea is that the oats fill up the fiber content, so a little serving fills you up, but I want a braver soul than me to try it first:

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 cup instant oats
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1 egg white
    1 teaspoon salt
    olive oil cooking spray
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    PREPARATION
    Heat oven to 400˚. Mix oats and yogurt with 1/4 cup water in a bowl until oats begin to absorb liquid. Add spinach, basil, Parmesan, egg white, half the garlic, salt and pepper, and stir. Add turkey and mix until well combined. Form into 16 2-inch meatballs.
    Coat a large, oven-safe stockpot with cooking spray. Add meatballs and bake until they begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn and bake 10 minutes more. Add remaining garlic, basil sprig, tomatoes and wine. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through and sauce begins to thicken, 20 minutes. Serve immediately with pasta.
    The skinny
    314 calories per serving, 3.3 g fat (1.3 g saturated), 40.4 g carbs, 3.7 g fiber, 22.9 g protein
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I think this is the first time I've seen a recipe posted as a dare. :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    LOL, OK, I double DOG dare ya!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I think this is the first time I've seen a recipe posted as a dare. :laugh:

:noway: I was thinking the same thing!

Proceed with caution. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    LOL, OK, I double DOG dare ya!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ah hell! :explode:

Gotta stop by the grocery store after work now. :angry:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It sounds pretty good to me. I'll be anxious to hear the results!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 cup instant oats
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1 egg white
    1 teaspoon salt
    olive oil cooking spray
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    PREPARATION
    The skinny
    i have never made this recipe but i often add rolled oats to all my meat recipes. fly lady recomends that for a lot of them. its yummy and you dont really notice it.
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good! I'll make them for my husband when he gets home this weekend!
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid? Is there some reason you won't do it? It sounds wonderful to me and I am sure everyone in my house hold would enjoy it. The only problem is they are already eating my homemade spegetti sauce tonight and I won't eat pasta until I am at least 145 lbs. But my goodness girl you shouldn't be afraid of something youdesire.....:heart::heart: :heart:
  • nwfamilygal
    nwfamilygal Posts: 635
    Options
    You could put this on spegetti squash and be just like spegetti but with less the calories :bigsmile:
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    To Redneckwoman:

Have you tried spaghetti squash? It's AMAZING! Super-easy to make, and still good to put your yummy pasta sauces onto. The meat of the squash actually comes out in spaghetti-like strings - it's pretty cool, plus it has only 75 Calories per cup.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 cup instant oats
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1 egg white
    1 teaspoon salt
    olive oil cooking spray
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    PREPARATION
    The skinny

I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!!!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    that sounds delicious. unfortunately, all of my cooking is limited to what can be done in a microwave. : :frown:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I used oats (quick cooking) in a recipe and it was very good.

This sounds like a good recipe to me.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    That's the meatball recipe I've always used (except I always used ground beef)... everyone always raves about my meatballs. I use oatmeal in meatloaf and hamburgers as well... it takes the place of the breadcrumbs and really helps to stretch the meat. You really don't know that they're there!
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    I will definitely stock up on the ingredients for this when I do my next grocery run. Can't wait to try it!! (And, I wouldn't even need a dare to make this! :wink:)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I am anxious to hear from you guys- the name of the recipe was "oatmeal meatballs" and that just sounded... weird.

I had this vision of this oatmeal cookie/meat combo, and it just made me feel funny:sick:

but if the oats soak up all that liquid and cannot be detected, then that's a good thing:bigsmile:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    LMAO about "Oatmeal balls" Its a good idea to use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs. Will have to try that the next time I make meatballs. I'd probably stick my regualr rolled oats in the blender for bit, make them a little mor fine ground so they would incorporate more easily into the meat.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    double post