Heart rate when running or jogging

Options
What is a rate that is good and whats too high? I don't want to stroke out or anything. Help!

Replies

• Ddegeyter
    Ddegeyter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    220 - your age is your max heart rate, there are different formulas but this is what I go by and I havent stroked out yet ;-)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    220 - your age is your max heart rate, there are different formulas but this is what I go by and I havent stroked out yet ;-)

220? What is the formula? Nevermind I see 220 minus your age.
  • HouseTargaryen
    Options
    You can look up calculators for your max heart rate.. but you definitely don't want to (actually you really just can't safely) maintain that HR while jogging/running. You will want to be somewhere around 65%-85% of your max HR, I would think.

I'd suggest looking up a little literature about max heart rate. It varies by age, gender, etc, and there are different formulas that yield slightly different results. Any of them should give you a good-enough estimate!

=)
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Substract your age from 220. 220-45=175 max heart rate
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    it's different for everyone... go by your breathing rather than HR, at least until you get a feel for what HR you can sustain and still get a good workout.

Run hard enough so that you can still talk, but in short bursts of words in between breaths. Something like:

How hard *breathe* should *breathe* I be pushing *breathe* myself *breathe* when running *breathe breathe*
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You're not going to stroke out. Promise.