2 lb a week is it possible for me? NOPE :(

Options
So ever since I started here on MFP I decided to loose 2lb a week. Well I did everything right like login but I only manage to loose 5 lbs in total since, but my weight keeps going from 189 to 190?. So I realize that for me it was probably not the way to go. So now I change my goal to 1lb a week but I have so much calories left over plus my workouts add more calories to eat. Anyone having trouble loosing the weight? I have notice toning but I feel that the scale is playing tricks on me. Its been 3 years since I had to cut my bf% so now I feel I can't do it..Any help would be appreciated. I want to go back to being 10-12% bf but I guess my body won't let me no more..

Thanks y'all

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say with the amount you have to lose your goal should be 1 lb/week as a safe deficit is smaller the less you have to lose.
    Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 bs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • mcdignan
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight don't eat your exercise.
  • ridelikeagirl616
    ridelikeagirl616 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Might want to take a look at WHAT you are eating and when.... If you are doing any weight training, consuming lots of lean protein will help you put muscle on, which will in turn help you shed fat. Also, should be eating every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism reved up and drink LOTS of water :smile: good luck!
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    Options
    Yeah I change it yesterday when I got so freaking mad. 1200 calories and I follow it to the T with no results only 5 lb in the time I started here. Now I am in a 2,830 a day, which is 1lb a week as MFP calculated. Should I workout more as in weights. I only do boxing and stop lifting weights. Should I strength train in the am and boxing in the pm? I don't know now I'm just confused and getting discourage by the min
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would say with the amount you have to lose your goal should be 1 lb/week as a safe deficit is smaller the less you have to lose.
    Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:

Agreed. You are more than likely trying to lose weight too aggressively for the little bit you have to lose. I tried to do the same thing with only 30 pounds to lose. It worked for about a month and a half, then I had to drop my weekly goal down to 1 lb/week, then ultimately 0.5 lb/week. It is so cliche but true: You didn't gain the weight quickly, so don't expect to drop it quickly.
  • lalinzki
    Options
    That's another thing I been looking around here and people have different opinions about eating your exercise cal or not d eat your exercise cal.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Judging by your .avi I would not try 2/week.

I wouldn't stop weight lifting while you lose weight.
    EDIT: Can you tell me what your protein intake is, in grams and not percentage? Average is fine.
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Yep!! You're right on with this!!

The first 50 lbs I lost came off at a rate of 3lbs a week, the next 50 were about 2-2.5 lbs a week, now Im struggling big time with these last 50. I've had to up my work outs, and cut the calories. I guess it's working, but damn it's so SLOOOOOOOOOOW now...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

This is false... OP needs to do what works for him, and not what you say he should do.

Op:
    If your hungry, then eat your exercise calories.. if your not hungry then don't eat them.. it really is that simple. If you burned a lot, but don't think you can eat them all back then only eat half or w/e.. There is no exact science with exercise calories. You need to do what works for you and not what rando people on the internet think you should do..
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    Yeah I change it yesterday when I got so freaking mad. 1200 calories and I follow it to the T with no results only 5 lb in the time I started here. Now I am in a 2,830 a day, which is 1lb a week as MFP calculated. Should I workout more as in weights. I only do boxing and stop lifting weights. Should I strength train in the am and boxing in the pm? I don't know now I'm just confused and getting discourage by the min

From what I see from your picture, I can assume that you're a guy. I'm no expert, but 1200 calories for a guy is most likely way too low. You were probably starving your body, so it didn't want to let go of the weight. Also you do boxing and weights so you are physically active, 1200 calories is for sure way too low for you. I think if you ate more, you'll notice you'll start to lose weight.
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    Here's a fun website that gives you your BMR, BMI, Body Fat Calculator and Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator. Maybe this might help you.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Bad advice, in order to lose your goal amount of weight you must eat them as MFP gives you a deficit assuming no exercise, so to ensure you have a safe deficit and to lose your goal amount of weight, not more or less, then you must eat them.
  • lalinzki
    Options
    Yeah that's me in the picture :blushing: . Now I understand why people kept on telling me that's not enough calories for the day I was just to stubborn to realize it.."light bulb, ding" . I just wanted soooo bad to look like when I was 12-27 years old :embarassed: Ok so today I will start fresh from scratch. I will add back my strength training again. Thank You all for the advice giving to me. I will eat good workout hard and keep y'all posted
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    Yeah that's me in the picture :blushing: . Now I understand why people kept on telling me that's not enough calories for the day I was just to stubborn to realize it.."light bulb, ding" . I just wanted soooo bad to look like when I was 12-27 years old :embarassed: Ok so today I will start fresh from scratch. I will add back my strength training again. Thank You all for the advice giving to me. I will eat good workout hard and keep y'all posted

If that's a recent picture of you, wow cool! Then for sure 1200 calories is not enough. You have a lot of muslces and that my friend makes you a burning machine, calories is your fuel. You were starving your muscles. Exercise and strength training is really good for you, I wouldn't give those up.
  • lalinzki
    Options

If that's a recent picture of you, wow cool! Then for sure 1200 calories is not enough. You have a lot of muslces and that my friend makes you a burning machine, calories is your fuel. You were starving your muscles. Exercise and strength training is really good for you, I wouldn't give those up.
    Yeah its me month or two ago. I was actually, I was doing the 2lb a week and erickirb told me and I was being a butt hole , and yes I was STARVING not doing good at the gym, it was horrible. Thank G that I came to my senses and realize 1lb a week is the right expectation without loosing speed power, and my mind..:explode: lol
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this because the chart on on what to set your goals on is really helpful. I was trying to figure out when to change my goal, and this is perfect. Thank you!
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Bump
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Body Fat vs Scale. I have went from 210 20% fat to 212 9 Percent fat.... Big Difference ---- Look at how things fit -- Focus on Strength and the body will come. One can see 10 pound increase in lifts a session. This motivates me. The body will come later - FOCUS on fat percentage. My wife was 125 25 percent fat and now is 125 15 percent fat also. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE --- I was 235 a year ago and 22 percent fat. But look bigger at 210.... Get the best of all three worlds or master 2 if you can... DIET- WEIGHTS - CARDIO - REST IS A GIVEN
    Good Luck
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories a day AND I eat back my exercise calories and I lost another 1.5 pounds this week. I fill the calories with good fats (avacado, walnuts, olive oil). I've lost more than I weigh. :)
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options

Bad advice, in order to lose your goal amount of weight you must eat them as MFP gives you a deficit assuming no exercise, so to ensure you have a safe deficit and to lose your goal amount of weight, not more or less, then you must eat them.

Ugh. Not necessarily.

If you want to lose weight you need to be in calorie deficit. Thus, assuming you're eating your base net calories, you should NOT be eating back ALL of your exercise calories. If you do, that's called MAINTENANCE.

Under the guidance of my nutritionist and trainer, I try to stay in a deficit of 500 calories to be on track to lose 2lbs a week. And it works and I'm healthy.