Diet coke

Options
Ok so here I am 2 months without a weight loss... I have lost 4. 5 inches BUT I'm wondering if it is possible that I haven't been seeing it on the scale because I drink 2 diet cokes a day.... I have 2 left in my fridge and I am not going to buy anymore after they are gone... Was wondering if anyone else had/or has this problem. Let me know what you think!

I also drink LOTS of water but I think the diet coke is the culpret.... I have heard some really nasty stuff about diet pops especially diet coke.:noway:

Replies

• Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think two diet cokes a day will keep you from losing weight - I drink 2 or more a day, plus 60 oz of water, and I've lost weight consistently throughout the last 8 months. They do have sodium which can mess with your water weight, etc.
  • bekihughes
    Options
    Maybe I need to up my water alot more?
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I dropped regular cokes and switched to diet. But I also cut myself to 1 a day with lunch..MAYBE 2 a day. But I walk everyday, drink lots of water and stay right at or under my calories. What does your eating look like?
  • esco76
    esco76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Perhaps watch your hidden salts and sodium. I struggle more when I have extra salt. Just thinking out loud. Good luck.
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm also a diet coke drinker, i'm having one right now.... was wondering about its effects recently too
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, so the amount of sodium could be making your body hold on to extra water. No harm in seeing what happens without those Diet Cokes for a couple of weeks though.
  • cconway102
    cconway102 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think diet coke (which I LOVE) encourages your body to crave carbs. I would test the theory by not consuming for two weeks and see what happens. I think the two weeks are necessary to clear the coke from your body and that you will then continue to lose weight. Good luck!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    How can people who have been here that long have missed the 35643436 threads on diet coke?!
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pepsi everyday on top of my green tea and water. I haven't seen any negative side affects yet :o) But it could be the difference between coke and pepsi :laugh: Sorry, had to throw that in :blushing:
  • bekihughes
    Options
    Sorry I missed the million threads on diet coke just was a question on my mind.
    Thanks for the advice gonna stop drinking it and let you know what happens!
    My sodium is always low. I don't know. Just been getting down that I haven't dropped weight lately and I have been REALLY trying! When I don't see it on the scale it makes me sad.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I think diet coke (which I LOVE) encourages your body to crave carbs. I would test the theory by not consuming for two weeks and see what happens. I think the two weeks are necessary to clear the coke from your body and that you will then continue to lose weight. Good luck!!!

I think this is the *problem* recent research has uncovered. I don't believe research shows that diet soda, by itself, will cause you to hold onto weight. Your diary is not public so I'm not sure what your carb intake looks like (and by carb intake, I'm talking more about processed sugars rather than those naturally occurring in fruits). Anyway, if you're not eating a ton of carbs, then diet soda is probably not the culprit because you've managed the cravings. saying this, I think there are some pretty good health reasons to kick the diet soda habit if you can. I kicked it in mid April and, along with eating better and exercising, have felt a TON BETTER since then.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    Doctors have always told me that you need to quit drinking all soft drinks they are huge bad calories and they can and will be more weight on you. A trainer once said why drink your calories when you can just use them for something better in food. :smile:
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I drank 4-5 cans of Diet Coke a day. I stopped drinking it for a month. I saw no difference in cravings or weight loss. I'm back to drinking it, although not as much now.
  • ealinn
    ealinn Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm a Diet Coke drinker too - sometimes consuming up to a six pack a day. Have slowly been weaning myself off and now usually only have one 20 bottle, sometimes two a day. While it hasn't stopped me from losing weight, yet, as others have stated, it can cause you to crave sweets & other carbs. I'm trying to replace it with unsweetened tea, but it's been a hard habit to break. I have been losing weight steadily & am just waiting for that dreaded "plateau" I always seem to hit when I'm trying to shed pounds. Good luck getting off the stuff.... and make sure to post whether you start losing again after you quit drinking it. Might be the motivation I need to finally kick the habit.