Decision made!

Options
Well hello everyone!

My name is Marietta, I live in London and I am originally from Greece.

I haven't dieted for many years. I was just a junk food junkie, relishing every bite of burgers, pizza and hot dogs. And don't get me started on what was happening when I was going to Greece on holiday with all the delicious food and souvlaki!!!
And I love bread! I can give you a whole list with foods I eat together with bread.

All I could answer when my sister and best friend told me I am obese was "mind your own business" - I have been in denial for so many years, that I was indeed way out of my normal weight....
Until recently, when I had to go to a friend's party and the only thing that fitted me was a kaftan and some old leggings.
My beautiful trousers, skirts, jeans, dresses and shirts would refuse to fit me...

Over the years I went from size 10 (UK) to size, well almost 16. A pair of trousers I bought for work just a few months ago, size 14, would not go higher than my hips (I store ALL fat on my belly). That was it!

This is not me... I used to be very thin, I used to weigh just over 45 kilos, (I am very short as well) but when I became a student and discovered cheap pizzas and fast food restaurants it snowballed.
But today, after having a look in the mirror and not recognising myself I thought that it is time to look and feel good again.
So I downloaded the MFP app on my iPod and checked in here. I read a few success stories that inspired me and thought I would introduce myself, as I would need all the support and inspiration I could get.

I will not say anything to my family in Greece that I have started dieting. I want to see their faces when they see me next summer!

Feel free to add me as your friend, so we can swap inspiring stories and advice!

Wish me luck :wink:

Replies

• debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Good luck and well done for making the first step on your journey.

I agree that you shouldn't say anything to the family. As soon as you tell people that you're on a diet, they watch your every move waiting for you to fail.

When you see them, you can bask in the glory of all the wonderful comments while you nonchalantly say "really? do you think so? well thank you" no need for them to know you've been busting a gut. Make it look like your natural fabulousness.

Will send you a friend request :flowerforyou:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Marietta - you won't regret it. MFP is fantastic and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I know all about the "mind your own business" mindset. It wasn't until I decided I was ready thatI did something about it. :wink:
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP....abd congrats on making a good decision for you.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    welcome and I wish you the best of luck. Simply keep your mind in the game :)
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this!
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's a great place for motivation and support! Good luck with your weight loss journey! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • kismet1428
    kismet1428 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. In fact, I have only told people that I am thinking of getting back into the gym after my daughter's volleyball season ends so that I will have something to do and get into better shape. The only reason I said anything was because I was getting tired of all of the questions "what will you do when volleyball season is over" (I am VERY involved with her team).

Just wait until you see them and when they remark on your progress, just smile slightly and say "thank you"
  • Charmedmz
    Options
    :love: WOOHOO! :love:
    So many encouraging words from all of you and friend requests!!!

:heart: Thanks guys!!!:heart:
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Welcome! I can totally understand. It's so much easier and cheaper to get the junk food, pizza, burgers, etc. And the pounds come on really fast. Like you I'm short and tend to gain weight in my tummy and hips. MFP is a great and the friends here are a huge support. I love to log in read all the inspiring and encouraging posts. The food and exercise diary keeps me accountable.

Good luck with your journey...Do it for you. One day at a time =)

Feel free to add me as friend :smile:
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    :love: WOOHOO! :love:
    So many encouraging words from all of you and friend requests!!!

:heart: Thanks guys!!!:heart:

That's what we're here for :smile: