milled flax seed

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Milled flax seed may be used as a fat subsittut in most recipes. Generally, 3 Tbsp milled flax seed can replace 1 tbsp fat or oil. Likewise, 1 tbsp milled flax seed plus 3 tbsp water can replace 1 egg. Don't give up if you results aren't perfect the first time.

We are going to try this on some whole wheat flax'n apple muffins.
we are replacing the butter with flax and water.

Replies

• icandoit
    Options
    Milled flax seed may be used as a fat subsittut in most recipes. Generally, 3 Tbsp milled flax seed can replace 1 tbsp fat or oil. Likewise, 1 tbsp milled flax seed plus 3 tbsp water can replace 1 egg. Don't give up if you results aren't perfect the first time.

We are going to try this on some whole wheat flax'n apple muffins.
    we are replacing the butter with flax and water.
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    Great idea! Let us know how that turns out.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    we use or take flax seed daily...highly beneficial in many ways...

Benefits of flax seed as shown in many studies include lowering total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) levels. Other benefits show that flax seed may also help lower blood triglyceride and blood pressure. It may also keep platelets from becoming sticky therefore reducing the risk of a heart attack.
    Aside from alpha linolenic acid, flax seed is rich in lignan. Lignan is a type phytoestrogen (antioxidant) and also provides fiber. Researches reveal that lignan in flax seed shows a lot of promise in fighting disease -- including a possible role in cancer prevention especially breast cancer. It is thought that lignan metabolites can bind to estrogen receptors, hence inhibiting the onset of estrogen-stimulated breast cancer.

Recent studies also showed positive benefits of flax seed oil in IBD (Crohn's Disease and Colitis). Flax seed oil seems to be able to heal the inner lining of the inflamed intestines.

Moderately include flax seed in your diet. Indeed, a lot of food products contain flax seed such as bread, cereal and bakery goods. Bakers may use flax seed flour or include flax seed in baking.

Ways to include flax seed in home cooking
    Sprinkle ground flax seed on your cereal and salads.
    Substitute flax seed mixture for eggs in home baking such as muffin and pancake (1 tbsp milled flax seed, plus 3 tbsp water = 1 egg). Final products will have less volume and taste gummier
    Include in other recipe when nutty flavor is preferred
    Substitute flax seed oil for other oils

zen
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    I just bought some milled flax seed tonight and added it to a smoothie. It was delish!
  • icandoit
    Options
    I just bought some milled flax seed tonight and added it to a smoothie. It was delish!

I add it to my salads, to my kids hot cereal. It is great. I use 2 tbls in my smoothies. It is really good on rice too.
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    Do you use it for the taste or for the health benefits?
  • icandoit
    Options
    Do you use it for the taste or for the health benefits?

I really don't notice much taste when I put on certain things. I mainly use it for health benefits.
    Now the flax oil tastes bad to me.
  • rhondababy
    Options
    And I actually like the flax oil in fruit smoothies- tastes creamy, and nutty.
    Does anyone know if flax seeds lose some efficacy if they are pre-ground? I know they are supposed to be refrigerated, but should we also be buying whole seeds and grinding them (like in a coffee grinder). I've read different things.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    And I actually like the flax oil in fruit smoothies- tastes creamy, and nutty.
    Does anyone know if flax seeds lose some efficacy if they are pre-ground? I know they are supposed to be refrigerated, but should we also be buying whole seeds and grinding them (like in a coffee grinder). I've read different things.

I've been told by a dietician at work that flax seeds lose some potency if pre-grinded, but I'm not sure. I think if you are able to grind as you go, you will get the most benefits. However, I am not sure how much you lose by buying pre-ground or using the oil.

Any nutrionists out there?? Janie
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the extra post - have shakey mouse fingers..:grumble:
  • icandoit
    Options
    I did know that. I am almost out. I will buy the whole seeds next time and try grinding them.
    Thanks for the info.:flowerforyou:
  • MARTINAIWANCHUK
    Options
    hi, great info on the flax seed and grapeseed. appreciate it.
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've used it lots of times to replace the butter/oil in banana bread. It tastes different than it would otherwise, more of a nutty flavor, but still delicious! :smile: