Protein coffee?

Options
I need to up my protein intake. Thinking about adding some unflavored whey protein to my coffee. Is this a good idea? Does anyone do this? Thanks!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can do this with iced/cold coffee. I've tried it with hot coffee and there's a definite textural/solubility problem. Interested to see replies here.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've tried mixing coffee with my protein shakes, problem is I tried straight grounds cause that's what I saw suggested and it didn't turn out so well. Working on finding the right split for brewed coffee with my shake and it's working pretty well.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued by this idea. I do drink 2-3 cups each day.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I only like coffee in my coffee. I drink it with a dardboiled egg for breakfast sometimes.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know if it turns out ok or not.
  • kellyfultz
    kellyfultz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i put instant coffee granules (preferrably starbucks) in my shakeology. makes a great protein/mocha drink. never tried whey in my hot coffee though.
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    DON'T add it to hot coffee - it gets all lumpy and nasty and you won't want to drink it. Ick.
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i put instant coffee granules (preferrably starbucks) in my shakeology. makes a great protein/mocha drink. never tried whey in my hot coffee though.

So you put straight grounds in your Shakology? Interesting! What is your recipe?
  • thesweatybetty
    thesweatybetty Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I need to up my protein intake. Thinking about adding some unflavored whey protein to my coffee. Is this a good idea? Does anyone do this? Thanks!

I do this every day, but I use vanilla whey. I add 1/3 scoop of protein and 2 Tbsp of 2% milk to my morning coffee. The milk It tastes great, kind of like vanilla flavoured coffee with milk and sugar. the the powder and the milk my coffee has 9-10grams of protein.

I add the powder to the milk first and mix it in, then add the hot coffee, otherwise the powder will get lumpy and the texture will be off.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

So you put straight grounds in your Shakology? Interesting! What is your recipe?
    Use instant, not regular grounds.

I have tried it in hot coffee - ew. Lumpy glue-y mess. I use protein powder, milk (skim, almond or coconut), ice, instant coffee crystals, and sugar free torani syrup - vanilla. It's a delicious protein frappe!
  • cwestcott01
    cwestcott01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just eat some Chobani greek yogurt, hood cottage cheese no salt added, some chicken breasts no skin or bone and some hard boiled organic eggs and there is more then enough protein for a day lol
  • LAWIII
    LAWIII Posts: 50
    Options
    I have done it, but you have to use very pure protein isolate (Novus worked well for me)... otherwise you get a sort of brown muck. Make no mistake, it is not as good as regular coffee, but it can be gotten used to. Good luck!
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i mix chocolate protein mix with hot coffee all of the time, i have never had a problem with it...maybe those who have are using a different kind than i am??? anyways, sometimes i go ahead and mix my morning shake (milk and mix) and pour that into my coffee. also, you can google "projoe", bariatric advantage makes several varieties of decaf protein coffee drinks, i hear they are really good. i love mochas!!!
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    I'm a shake-O fan too and therefore don't need coffee anymore however if you still like it for the taste then you can add to it in the form of cold coffee frappaccino like! The energy is way better then the highs and lows of coffee, you have protein plus a lot more, and the cravings vanish. One of the best things I ever did and got me to my goal weight was the bonus. ;)

Feel free to friend me ya'll for some calorie free food for thought! Colleen
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do this nearly EVERY work day! The super advanced Whey protein from Walmart is the one I use... because it's texture is smoother then most I have tried.... would work with shakeology etc. though too...put it in the bottom of your cup FIRST... and then add the HOT Coffee as you stir.. it will help it blend well... When I use the Vanilla and a touch of Stevia for sweetener, it tastes just like creamer would...

I sometimes also use the Vanilla mixed with Hot water..and then add a bit of the Mixed Berry Crystal Light Pure...then it tastes like Berry Chai Tea... ;) Hot liquids DO seem to dissolve it better...... though if you liked the taste but not evil cals of frappucinos etc... put a cup of coffee in the fridge to cool, and then mix it in a blender with ice, flavorings of your choice, the protein powder ( choc PB protein powder is very tasty in this.. ;) and if you want, a lil' greek yougurt.... nummy!
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've done protein and instant coffee or expresso with vanilla protein power, in a shake cup. Taste depends on the person. I'm not a vanilla fan, so it's chug-a-lug in my case. :-6 bleck. lol
    If I make a smoothie with protein and instant coffee or expresso.... that's another story intirely... :drinker: LOL!
  • kellyfultz
    kellyfultz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Instant coffee - like the Starbucks single packs. I use 1/2 scoop Shakeology (chocolate), 1 c. unsweetened almond milk, single pack instant coffee, and sometimes i put a tablespoon of sugar free/fat free choc fudge pudding mix in it along with 2 c. ice.