Honesty

Options
Just my own personal food for thought....
Throughout my ups and downs in life and in working my program, I have discovered the importance of complete honesty. No matter what I feel or think, being honest about it with myself, others and God helps me to stay in a healthier state of physical, emotional and spiritual wellness. When I first started my weight loss, the idea of telling friends how I really felt was foreign to me. I could not ask for help or explain what I was going through. I could not pour my heart out. I didn’t want to offend or burden anyone, even God with complaints or weakness.
Now, I have learned to share more often and to tell my friends and God the way my life really is. Sometimes that includes sharing my negative attitude, crying, or just conversing casually. People are receptive and full of acceptance and even understanding. It really pleases and heals me every time I share my honest thoughts and feelings.
The years of denying and burying my feelings resulted in an automatic reaction to not allow myself to feel or think straight in lots of situations. If I can take the time to identify exactly where I am and then honestly admit that to God and others (when needed), I have made progress.
Sharing my true self with others helps lift the blinders from my eyes so that I can see my reality and proceed from there. If I hide, all I do is fool myself and others. I rob myself of honesty which is the foundation of my progress towards serenity and wisdom.
I am doing this - one day at a time.

Replies

• Teeteetare
    Options
    I completely agree with you and glad you have come to the point in your life where you can share with God and others your true feelings. That can be so hard to do if we aren't used to doing it.
  • susaneec
    susaneec Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Accepting yourself and all that entails, sharing what you learn, think, and feel... it's a necessity and a relief. You gain so much through honesty. I am proud of you!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Just my own personal food for thought....
    Throughout my ups and downs in life and in working my program, I have discovered the importance of complete honesty. No matter what I feel or think, being honest about it with myself, others and God helps me to stay in a healthier state of physical, emotional and spiritual wellness. When I first started my weight loss, the idea of telling friends how I really felt was foreign to me. I could not ask for help or explain what I was going through. I could not pour my heart out. I didn’t want to offend or burden anyone, even God with complaints or weakness.
    Now, I have learned to share more often and to tell my friends and God the way my life really is. Sometimes that includes sharing my negative attitude, crying, or just conversing casually. People are receptive and full of acceptance and even understanding. It really pleases and heals me every time I share my honest thoughts and feelings.
    The years of denying and burying my feelings resulted in an automatic reaction to not allow myself to feel or think straight in lots of situations. If I can take the time to identify exactly where I am and then honestly admit that to God and others (when needed), I have made progress.
    Sharing my true self with others helps lift the blinders from my eyes so that I can see my reality and proceed from there. If I hide, all I do is fool myself and others. I rob myself of honesty which is the foundation of my progress towards serenity and wisdom.
    I am doing this - one day at a time.

Lovely post-- how blessed you are to have come to this realization--

Took me a lot of years, a lot of pain, a lot of trouble I caused before I would allow myself to be dragged kicking and screaming to this point-- the point where I take my thoughts captive, figure out what is making me upset, what I actually feel or think. The honesty is liberating.

I can't say that people always appreciate my expressing it, but I do always make sure I do it politely. I can no longer abide violating my conscience by giving platitudes and saying things I don't mean. If you don't want my honest opinion, you'd better not ask, my friends.

Good for you-- happy to hear!!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've missed you! Glad you're back. :flowerforyou:
  • Maura5
    Maura5 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm right there with you. My epiphany came just over 8 months ago. Life is still a challenge but a new way of living it makes it more rewarding & peaceful. I wish you continued growth :smile:
    Maura
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread, as well as offer a preview of some changes that will be debuted VERY soon at MyFitnessPal. These changes are being made with the express purpose of allowing more leeway in terms of what users can freely post on the site.

The forum guidelines include this item:

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss any of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

In the past, with only a small crew of volunteer moderators to help keep the dialogue on the site positive and supportive, Mike has reluctantly had to create a rule which disallows any posts about these potentially divisive topics. We would greatly prefer to allow all of these topics to be discussed on the site, but so far, we haven’t had the resources to moderate such topics in a manageable fashion. Often the tone of the original thread is harmless, but as the threads proceed, members participating in such topics have been subject to insults or attacks, feelings have gotten hurt, and in more instances than we would like, a moderator wasn’t able to step in quickly enough to prevent this from happening.

To help the situation and with the purpose of really letting conversation on the site blossom, two things are being done: the team has trained more moderators, and the site will soon feature a new “Groups” feature.

With Groups, Members will be able to form their own groups and invite other members to join. Each group would have it’s own forum, and group forums would have much more leeway in the range of topics discussed. So, for example, you’ll absolutely be able to create a faith-based, or politically leaning support group and discuss the exact range of topics you’d like to discuss. Groups will be able to host a much more diverse and mature range of conversations, and because groups will be able to moderate themselves, we hope they’ll be much better at protecting some of our more targeted populations from unwanted hassle. We plan to heavily promote the existence of groups to all of our members, fostering strong participation and hopefully giving you exactly the community experience you are looking for on our site.

In the meantime, we appreciate your understanding. We’re committed to making MyFitnessPal a place where all members can communicate openly in a supportive, and positive environment that helps them to achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.