Thyroid probs - did your meds need adjusting when you lost w

Options
Just wondering if people found their meds needed adjusting when weight changed? I am hypothyroid and take whole thyroid (derived from pig thyroid) here in NZ.

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My weight has fluctuated but I've only ever adjusted my meds once, and that was to increase them. I lost about 15lbs and still stayed on the same level of meds. It seemed like time, more than weight loss affected my levels.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    I've only had to have mine adjusted this year. Previously I'd had the same dosage for 12 years and that included a pregnancy. So there was at least a 60-70 pound range over the years. I think this year's change was due to finishing menopause. I had to have mine increased two levels. However, it does make sense that you might not need as much if your weight was significantly lower. hmmm
  • Aleight73
    Options
    I have been on meds for 12+ years. My dosage has increased from 25 to 150. I do not believe the change was due to weight gain/loss. My T4 & T3 fluctuate with each blood test.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I take levothyroxin. I have been on thyroid medication since the age of 12, approximately 46 years. I can go for years at a time without it needing to be adjusted and then it might require adjustment several times in a year. I always have it checked at my annual physical. This year I have had the medication adjusted higher twice (and this was after losing 15 pounds).
  • UABUncleSam
    Options
    I have been on Levothyroxine for 6 months now and had my medication adjusted 3 times. I started gaining weight and I was constantly tired. The Doc finally shot me up to 100mcg and my weight stood still for a bit. He also had me on a all protein diet which really sucked. It was hard and I lost absolutely no weight at all. I finally said to hell with the diet and added a few things back in that I wanted and started walking every day. My weight is now dropping and I am so much happier. They do tell you to get checked every six months though because it might need to be adjusted. Some people don't have to ever have adjustments while others take years to find that dose that actually works for them. It's a process...that's for sure.
  • LMDelphia
    Options
    Hello! Yes! This is very common. With my hypothyroidism, I went from 105 to 185 and everywhere in between (which is not common but a very extreme case) the past two years! I'm 5'10, so none of these are ok whatsoever, and I hated every day. They changed my medicine like crazy trying to help me out. I am fighting to control my body to feel happy, and when you find a stable weight the medicine should stay the same with you (so they say). If you have kids, the numbers will change around like what happened to me. It's a circus, so make sure that your doctor does blood checks more than once every six months. I get mine checked every month just to make sure that I am in the clear. I am now around 160 and my thyroid levels are ok, but the weight isn't falling off. You will still have to fight for your ideal body. Some say it will fall off of you, but it sure isn't for me. My poor body...
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am hypo as well. Total loss so far of 65 pounds. I take pure Synthroid and the last time I had my levels checked I was hyper.The doctor thinks it is from losing weight and needing to readjust.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    thanks.. I'll keep an eye on things. My gp is really good and is happy for me to have it checked whenever :-)