Curves for women

Options
Does anyone go and have you had good results. Im thinking about joining but it seems strange to just move in a circle.

Replies

• Lissame73
    Lissame73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined too. I plan on making my 1st day there this Thursday... They're having a Zumba class then.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It was the best for my mother, it made her happy to just work with a bunch of girls and not feel judged. If you have the time, and money, its fun.
  • PurplePonyDoc
    Options
    I enjoyed Curves because the workout was layed out in an understandable way. I did 2 circles, got my cardio, got my strength training, stretched and went home. I wasn't chit chatty, just liked to workout and be done. And the computer program was great because it made me push. (Not sure if they are still doing that, I was a member over 2 years ago). If you have the money and want a nice, layed out, easy to understand and maintain workout, Curves is great!
  • cindy0716
    Options
    I did it for a while a few years ago and I think it really helped. My husband thought it helped more than I did (he said he could notice a chance in me - more toned).
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend it for woman 55 and older or very overweight woman that need to start slow...I don't think it really works you hard enough to burn the calories needed! The machines are all set at one resistance. I tried it for a month and I enjoyed going but i ended feeling like it wasn't a good work out for what i was looking for! Some people do really well..so i would just do a trial before you sign on! MOst place will give you a week free if you ask!
    Good luck! :tongue:
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't do "curves" but my gym has a women's only room with a circuit like curves has. It's kind of fun. You don't have to worry about what weight to set the machine at, just do the reps and get some cardio inbetween. I like it.
  • rcb722
    rcb722 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 6-7 months after having baby #2. I agree with the above post about it being great for older women, or those who need to start a little slower. I never felt like I got a really great workout, and never got "tired" like I do with other workouts. I know if I went back now, after having quite a bit of stamina from running, I wouldn't like it at all. It was somewhat slow paced, and because all of the equipment was hydrolic (sp?), you couldn't really adjust the amount of resistance very well. BUT, if it's what will get you moving, I'd do it for sure. :)
  • bethanyranes
    bethanyranes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I worked there for a couple years in college - I figured it was a great way to get a free gym membership (I was actually being PAID to work out! LOL!) Anyway, my shifts were 4 hours, and I spent about 3 of them on the circuit working out with the clients and making sure everyone was keeping good form. With 4-5 shifts per week, I never lost a pound doing it. Most of the problem was that I had just come off of a heavy-duty athletic training schedule, and it just wasn't a very challenging workout for me. Even by doing rapid-fire reps on the hydro machines, I never really felt like the weight was enough. It's all about where your current level of fitness is, and how hard you really push during the little cardio segments (I used to do jumping jacks on the cardio platforms, or if the song was catchy and I had a bigger group, I'd get everyone to dance around).
  • MSBNANA
    Options
    I was a member of Curves for a while and it is a great workout system. You alternate between cardio and the resistance machines to upbeat music and the "announcer" tells everyone when to switch. You do the circuit three times and you're done! It's a very supportive atmosphere with other like-minded women. I've seen mostly older women there but some new moms, too. It's a great way to stay active and get your heart pumping.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I joined, but they kicked me out because I brought a lawn chair and pop corn to the classes.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Curves can be a pretty decent workout. It has its ups and downs though. If you're looking for a great workout, circuit training is awesome, which is what Curves offers. You have the ability to work as hard as you want and you get in and out in about 30 minutes with a full body workout. The downfalls to Curves is that you are using the same machines over and over, and it's important to change the exercise you're doing for different muscle groups every 5-7 times so that you hit the muscle at different angles and keep it working to avoid adaptation. The other downfall to Curves is that typically, you can only do circuit training there. I've been in several of the Curves gyms and they don't usually have the space to offer any sort of aerobics class....that doesn't mean that the one that is local to you doesn't offer classes, but that has just been my personal experience. Since you shouldn't strength train the same muscle group two days in a row, it makes it harder to have one gym membership to go to daily for cardio (ACSM recommends 30 min of cardio 5-7 days a week...which if you're not familiar with them, in the fitness world, they are the organization to listen to). However, if you don't mind getting your cardio days in with outdoor activities like walking, running, biking, rollerblading, etc. then joining Curves might be the way to go for you.

Hope this helps!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Curves. I don't now bcuz I can't afford it. But I loved it.
    Moving around in a circle... you make it sound like that's all you do. lol
    It's circuit training and you use machines with a recovery stations (as they call it) between
    every machine--you can run in place, jumping jacks or other cardio moves on the pads.
    What I like about it is it doesn't take much time at all. My mom and I went and we always did
    2 circuits... only took an hour--including the stretching before & after (give or take a couple minutes).
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I go to curves right now. I love it! I don't agree that it is only for the very over weight or old crowd. I will admit that I am very over weight right now, but it is a great workout. Before I was over weight I worked out at curves, I was 165 lbs, 19 years old and I loved it! I just rejoined about 4 months ago, and the curves smart program is great. It keeps track of your workouts, your intensity and your calories burned. Today I worked out for 30 mins, I got in all of my cardio and my strength training and I burned 543 calories.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I ♥ ♥ ♥ Curves!! I have lost 20 lbs and 34 inches since June 6th (the day I rejoined). Don't let anyone tell you it is not a true workout ~ you get results by doing the work, regardless of the workout. I ♥ the atmosphere at the Curves that I go to; the ladies there are funny, supportive and a great bunch of friends. You can push yourself or just glide thru the circuit ~ I am sweating when I am done with my 4 times around. I am recovering from a total knee replacement, and this has been the best thing for me!!
    :flowerforyou:

Check out LJCannon's profile for a fantastic Curves success story!!!
  • TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started going in Jan and was great to start the excercise but it doesn't challenges me anymore and now I go with a trainner, still paying curves and not going I would never do a contract for a gym. But they are good if you want to start.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just found this Thread today. I have been a member of Curves for a little over 2 years and I am doing GREAT!!! I have been an Employee for a little over a Year. You get out of it what you put in to it.
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    I just started curves after Thanksgiving - not going to do my weigh in until after the new year as they are closed for a 3 day period over the Christmas holiday. Hopefully i will hear I've lost inches and lbs
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to Curves, and to this Thread!! I hope you are having as much Fun with your workouts as I do.
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of Curves for almost 3 years and I've noticed a big difference. I was thinking of changing to a regular gym because I wanted more of a challenge on the machines to build more muscle and get more toned. After talking with the staff, they changed my fitness plan to a muscle and strength program. The first day after my workout I didn't feel a difference, however, I was really sore the next day and wanted to skip my workout. I workout 6 days a week and enjoy that I don't have to spend hours in a gym and can burn anywhere from 300 to 500 calories in just 30 minutes.

As far as the price, the local gym charges you the same for the first 3 months and then it increases and you're locked in for 3 years. Curves' contract is only for 1 year. They do run specials where you can give them a try for 30 days for free to see if it works for you. This is how I became a member and I love it.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I didn't do Curves, but Contours which is very simillar. (women's only, circuit training)

They closed down and then a month later they had a full gym open so I joined that one. (and thankfully they hired the manager, she's BRILLIANT. The owner still says it's the best thing he ever did because nearly every women from Contours has come over. They even changed the gym to do a circuit!)

It's good if you've never done exercise. After about a month or two I was getting bored. I prefer a 'real' gym where I get to change what I do and push myself further than the machines allowed me to go. It's not for everyone but for those that use it and enjoy it, it is BRILLIANT.