Ready to say good-bye to "skinny-fat"

Options
Hello everyone! My name's Amanda, I'm 23 years old and 5'3 on a tall day.

I'm not new to MFP, but I am new to strength training and I'd like to find some more friends who are also about to start strength training or have already had success with it! Since May, I've lost about 15 pounds through diet and spin class twice a week. I am now about 2-3 pounds from my goal weight and I STILL feel flabby! :grumble:

So I finally got brave today and called my gym to set up a session with a personal trainer (we get a few free sessions when we join, I still haven't used mine), who will show me around the weight room machines and get me off to a good start.

I have no idea what I'm doing and the weight room at the gym totally intimidates me. BUT - I am hoping to change that very soon! If you're in the same boat, please feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I started off as skinny fat too...just a lot of squishy around my waist, some on my thighs, etc. I've dropped nearly 20 so far but still have a way to go before I get the stomach I want. Not sure what that translates into pound-wise though. Maybe another 5 or so? I'll know it when I see it!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women - it has six months worth of a progressive plan to increase strength, with pictures and all to help you figure out the moves. There's a whole topic thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372438-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-group-part-2
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am sooo here too! Lol thinking I need to do more strength training being I have the food under control pretty much. I don't want to be squishy- want to be a hard Body
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Try reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women - it has six months worth of a progressive plan to increase strength, with pictures and all to help you figure out the moves. There's a whole topic thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372438-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-group-part-2

Awesome, thank you for posting this! I searched the forums for strength training advice but it's so hard to weed through everything. Never even saw this!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    skinny-fat! YES! that is exactly how i feel!

I am 5'8" and weight currently 155.

I am VERY intimidated to start using free weights at the gym and would love any help that is out there!
  • TinyTina2012
    Options
    Hahaha I've never heard it called "skinny-fat", but yes that is exactly how I feel! I like the weight I've hit (maybe looking to lose just another 5 pounds), but really want to try some strength training. I love my gym, but I am stuck on the elliptical, treadmill, bike, etc... The weight station deff looks intimidating to me and I really don't know where to start.

I'm sending you a friend request, maybe we can help each other out!
  • GreenGettingLean
    Options
    I didn't come up with the term "skinny-fat" :smile: I stole it from this article:

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

which has been circulated on MFP for a long time now. I wish I was creative enough to come up with that name because it's exactly how I feel!
  • TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I will totally recommend you fighterdiet.com they have amazing routines for "skinny-fat" people.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I was in the same boat just few months ago when I lost 10kgs (20 lbs.) although my arms and legs are toned (thanks to my muscular build) but my belly & especially hips & lower abs are like a Jell-O. Although I did strength training back then but only with a measly 3 lb. dumbbell which didn't helped me at all. So when I tried incorporating bodyweight exercises like push-ups, squats, lunges & upped my weights to 5lbs. & eventually 10lbs., I'm now seeing more definition & slowly I'm loosing those unwanted fats at my hips & abs plus my butt is getting more shapely now. Currently I lift 10 lbs. for upper body & 13 lbs. for lower body.

Anyway please feel free to add me if you like :flowerforyou: .
  • GreenGettingLean
    Options
    I will totally recommend you fighterdiet.com they have amazing routines for "skinny-fat" people.

thanks, this looks awesome!
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I would fit in this category as well, but I LOVE lifting. It makes me feel very strong at the end of a work out as your muscles tighten (and feel bigger). I am a big fan of free weights as you can do circuits (set of bi's, tri's and shoulder and repeat) and since it tends to be faster paced you can feel it. I have found moves online and when I am at the gym I do some of the moves for Ripped in 30. Best of luck!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

This is awesome. I'm only a few weeks into the first stage and I LOVE it. I started for the exact same reasons as you, my body size shrank but my flab seemed to stay proportionate. My goal is to tighten up and build some muscles that actually work. Feel free to add me for support if you like