Hungry bellies......

Options
I was volunteering at my daughters school this morning where they have a breakfast club. The children that are hungry before school can come over and have some snacks to fill their bellies before heading into class - on the menu - carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, banana, apple, oranges, cheese and mini muffins!!! The cucumber and banana are always first to go. It's good to see that the kids are getting something healthy to start off their day, I just wish they didn't have to come to school hungry.

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there are the families who don't feed them because they know they can get food from the school, then there are the ones who might actually need that food because there isn't much at home. Either way, all of them are happy and healthy! I know I would have chosen the muffins before anything else, go kids!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was volunteering at my daughters school this morning where they have a breakfast club. The children that are hungry before school can come over and have some snacks to fill their bellies before heading into class - on the menu - carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, banana, apple, oranges, cheese and mini muffins!!! The cucumber and banana are always first to go. It's good to see that the kids are getting something healthy to start off their day, I just wish they didn't have to come to school hungry.
    It's nice that your daughter's school offers that to the hungry kids. They deserve to have food, too. I love that they offer healthy choices to them!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Schools that do this is great. Kids, especially young kids, need that nutrition and some families can't afford it or some parents just don't care. Kids are so dependant on adults to take care of them and I'm so glad to see schools who care about those kids that slip between the cracks.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For the most part it is the same children - but everyone is allowed to have something if they wish so nobody feels singled out as not having anything. The muffins are literally two bite muffins (healthy - according to Canada food guidelines) made by one of the local disabled organizations as "employment"
  • cabriniswamr1011
    Options
    I wish the same thing.... so sad that in a land of plenty there are many going with less than a little... it's heartening that the school you volunteer at has such a healthy menu for them to choose from... wish Philadelphia would incorporate the same ideals...
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I remember they had the breakfast program at my school when I was in elementary school. I think I went to a school in a lower income neighbourhood, but we always had food. My mom wouldn't sign the paper for me to be a part of the breakfast program because I ate at home every morning. I wonder if parents need to give permission now for their child to be part of it. That was in the mid 80's.

I remember there was toast with jam, toast with peanut butter, muffins, and apples.

It's great that for those that need it, still sad that some go without though. What happens at lunch time for those who don't come to school with a lunch I wonder?