Fitness classes when obese?

Okay. I got to Goodlife. I am curious to try their Body Attack, Body Pump and Body Step classes...but I am really overweight. I currently work out at the gym 3-5 times a week...doing basic elliptical and weight circuit. Do any of you do these classes? Are there options for those of us who are very out of shape to keep up? Should I wait til I lose more weight? I just want to kick things up a notch and thought classes might do it for me... But I'm scared of being the only one not able to do the things required...

I should mention I do not like yoga/pilates/zumba...that's what the one instructor at the gym recommended...

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    There are all shapes/sizes/ages of people in my BodyPump classes. Go for it. You can always adjust the weight to fit your needs.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    One of my best friends is a fitness instructor and is always amazed when she sees overweight/obese people in class - impreses the hell out of her! The worst thing you can do is not try and then possibly regret it later. Go ahead - give it a try!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    i don't know what those particular classes are, but i go to the hardcore classes offered at my gym and am generally the largest person in there. at first, i was the largest, the weakest and the slowest. it was a bummer, but necessary, and i got *so* much support from the other women in there and the instructors. now i'm still the largest, but i'm also the strongest and i'm the second fastest. my physique will eventually catch up with my fitness level. go for it! burn it up like it ain't no thang! :flowerforyou:
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Absolutely try! I was about 290 pounds when I first tried my step classes and it got me hooked! Go at your own pace and level of experience. Keep at it and enjoy. It gets easier and the weight will fall off! It's what helped get me addicted to exercise and I love the people in my classes:)
  • solarcharged
    solarcharged Posts: 1 Member
    I have not taken Attack, so I can't speak to it, but options are always given in all the Les Mills classes I have taken. In Pump, you can just use lower (or no weights, just the bar). Step definitely has low options - you can use the bench on the floor, on one riser, or two risers...and there are low options for most of the moves. You might see if your gym has a BodyVive class, it's a good class to transition in to group exercise. Good luck!
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    I was going to say zumba, cause it's just basically dancing, but I see you don't like it. But it's a good way to go at your own pace and you'll eventually work your way up to being able to go hard, burn a lot of calories, and still have fun. And I always feel better afterwards.
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    those classes are Les Mills, so you can look on their site for a preview.
    Pump is just an active weights circuit, where you pick your weight and if you need a breather it's really not a big deal-- you'll be sore tho :-)
    Attack is intense and harder to modify, more like a bootcamp.
    Step is a normal steps class, so set the step to low and if it's really bad, just practice on the floor-- that's how I started.

BodyFlow is a nice hybrid of the yoga/stretching that doesn't hurt as much as normal ones dos.
    Body Combat is a Tae-Bo/Kickboxing that is a good one to start on.
  • repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    Thanks everyone! I think I will be brave and try a class today or tomorrow :) Wish me luck!
  • Go for it,,, I have taken some classes and I was told,, go at your own pace,, do what you can do,, for example,, if everyone doing pushups,, I do likewise but on wall! Just allow yourself to fall against wall for best result. I was told,, as long you keep moving, do what other are doing the best you can and you can modify as needed.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Good luck, and keep us posted!