French Bistro menu help

So... at the same time as I am trying to slim down in time for my birthday in a month, I am also dating - these two things do NOT compliment each other but I find my interest in not being 15 pounds overweight by this milestone birthday is equal to my interest in not being single (or at least dating a few interesting people...) around the time of my milestone birthday.

So... I am going to Le Select tonight for dinner... french bistro - and my date is a chef... a french chef... so i doubt we wil be eating lightly. Any help much appreciated in menu selection. Staying away from more than a glass of wine is going to be the REALLY tricky part - this guy is like anthony bourdain (in a good way.)

http://www.leselect.com/menus/view_menu.php?menu=dinner

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    YUM! I'd go with the Berkshire pork because it is PHENOMENAL. I am a sucker for steak frite but obviously the frite part is not so good.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    My 2 cents? Have a big workout today, and eat what you like tonight. Sauces - on the side (always!) There's no reason you can't try a bit of everything but just control portions.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    It's one night, and I'm sure if you're in a deficit now, you don't plan on eating 3 or 4 thousand calories, right? have a good time.
  • vsmith1981
    vsmith1981 Posts: 44 Member
    can't do sauce on the side in front of a chef (I cook a lot too and used to cook professionally and would be mortified to do so...)

thinking the salmon or the bison tartar.

thanks for the advice.

I missed my workout this morning and wont have a chance between work and date...
  • Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    enjoy!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    My 2 cents? Have a big workout today, and eat what you like tonight. Sauces - on the side (always!) There's no reason you can't try a bit of everything but just control portions.

agreed!
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Any of the fish dishes look really good. Stay away from the cassoulet and duck confit (though they are my faves!). And just enjoy yourself! There's no rule that says you have to finish everything on your plate.
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    mmm the menu looks phenomenal!- love that they even have vegetarian options!

Could you have some sort of meat and then just not have the potatoes- have extra veggies instead?

Also- work out tomorrow am :flowerforyou:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I say have a good night too. There are obviously more healthy choices, the fish dishes, for example. Honestly, this is all really good food. French cuisine gets a bad rep, but how often do you eat it? (I would eat it twice a week) None of it is processed crap. They aren't going to be huge potions, (trust me) and it's probably all sustainable. Please, PLEASE have a fabulous french dessert. They are hard to come by. Share it, dessert tastes best when you share. :smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    that menu looks great! enjoy yourself and workout extra hard tomorrow. i agree with karincakes, have dessert!
  • vsmith1981
    It is a blessing but I'm not into dessert! I'd rather have an extra glass of wine than a cake any day.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Kate
  • netchik
    Here's the thing. What if Mr Chef turns out to be "The One"?

Your most memorable first date should be filled with laughing uncrontollably at each other's jokes, sharing dirty little secrets and the electricity of "accidentally" brushing each others fingers as you both reach for the bread basket.

You don't want to be stressing about how many calories you're consuming. Live in the moment, compensate tomorrow with a great workout.

Good luck Honey!
  • vsmith1981
    I seriously doubt he's "the one" a bit of an age difference but I am taking my friends advice and saying "yes" to (practically) anyone who has the courage to ask.

But I agree with your sentiment. But I think my birthday slimdown goal is a more important priority than enjoying this particular date...
  • vsmith1981
    Also Netchik - GREAT GOALS and rewards!!! If you have any questions about South Africa, I have a million suggestiosn.
  • netchik
    Also Netchik - GREAT GOALS and rewards!!! If you have any questions about South Africa, I have a million suggestiosn.

Thanks Hon. As for SA, I'm usually too busy dragging my @rse around visiting my relatives to have any time for myself :( But one day... ONE DAY I'll take a holiday just for meeeee!!!!!!!
  • vsmith1981
    Report from last night

I ate a 100 cal pack of almonds at 5:15 pm and went into the date with 940 cals to spare. I walked to the restaurant (20 minutes brisk). I arrived and realized my date was a lot older than I remembered (sigh) and felt a bit overdressed having come straight from work. started with a big glass of water. Then I had a 3 ounce glass of reisling. I was planning on ordeirng the Cod but my date ordered the cod and I thought I should try something else. So I ordered the steak with pepper cognac cream sauce and green beans. I ate half of my hot from the oven baguette with 1/2 tsp of butter (I couldn't resist despite the almonds.) and then my steak came with frites instead of the green beans. There were about 2 cups of fries on the plate sitting in a pool of delicious brandy pepper cream sauce. I RESISTED - instead I ordered a 3 ounce glass of syrah and ate my steak. I had 4 bites of frites but left most of them.

I came home and cleaned and went to bed early. Gym plan for later today is 1 hour on the elliptical.

Following the goodnight (a kiss on each cheek and a "this was fun") I got a text from the 25 year old cutie for plans next week. much better.