Planet fitness members

Options

Replies

• staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! All this talk about young people in great shape and muscular bros...One of the BIGGEST things about PF is their "Judgement Free Zone". Which means they do not cater to bodybuilders or power lifters. No weight dropping, no grunting, no judging. The whole point of this is to make it a comfortable, non-intimidating environment for everyone to workout. Now does this mean everyone there is going to be out of shape average joes? No. Maybe people are focusing more on the physically fit people that are there and not opening their eyes to see the surplus of average people there. As an overweight person who WORKS at PF, I know for a fact that if anyone makes you feel uncomfortable, the management there can and will approach all "judgers" and warn them before cancelling them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, since when did body builders and power lifters become synonymous with these judgemental folk you’re trying to pass them off as now? They only people I’ve ever gotten judgement from at the gym are women who spend more time talking on their cell phones and making snide remarks about my routine being too intense. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with those guys and their “grunting” and “weight dropping” and, as a woman I was very intimidated to approach the weight section. Is it really a “judgement free zone” if it excludes the majority of a gym’s regular clientele? That makes no sense. I don’t like this place on principal now. No disrespect intended, this just makes me mad :)

Lol...read the context...Bodybuilders and power lifters are welcome. PF just doesn't CATER to them because they focus more on general fitness.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I love PF. can't beat the price. I'm never going to be a dude who feels the need to deadlift 600lbs. so the free weight variety doesn't bother me. the facilities are clean. it's the "average joe" gym.

Until the Purple Cobras come in and make me bleed my own blood!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! All this talk about young people in great shape and muscular bros...One of the BIGGEST things about PF is their "Judgement Free Zone". Which means they do not cater to bodybuilders or power lifters. No weight dropping, no grunting, no judging.

Define the word judgemental. Read the post above, and you have your definition. This is exactly why I despise PF. =)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ^^^Agreed with joe.

I joined Planet Fitness when I first started lifting because I didn't know any better.
    But the whole judgement free thing is complete bullsh**.

No chalk. no deadlifting. no REAL gym equipment other than dumbbells. No weight dropping. no noise.

Basically, if you're serious about gaining muscle, or strength, they're going to JUDGE you.
  • staciekins
    Options
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! All this talk about young people in great shape and muscular bros...One of the BIGGEST things about PF is their "Judgement Free Zone". Which means they do not cater to bodybuilders or power lifters. No weight dropping, no grunting, no judging.

Define the word judgemental. Read the post above, and you have your definition. This is exactly why I despise PF. =)

The thought process behind the Judgement free zone isn't without fault I agree. But the main focus was supposed to be that PF doesn't condone intimidating actions or CATER to bodybuilders/power lifters. Doesn't mean they aren't welcome :) Some of the commercials can be a little hypocritical if you take them seriously but it was only meant in humor.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I'm gonna get heat for this one, but...

I absolutely refuse to belong to a gym where:

1. They don't have dumbells above 60lbs.
    2. They cut the bars on the leg press machine so you could only fit 3 plates on each side.
    3. You can't make lifting noises.
    4. You can't wear a muscle shirt.
    5. You can't drop the weights.

some of them cut the leg press machines???? lofl. thats awful.
    the one i joined has DBs up to 75, and I get away with my cutoff shirts.
    but a friend of mine was lifting one day, and dropped 25s from seriously, maybe 5 inches off the floor, and was lunk alarmed.
    it's pretty ridiculous.
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I believe going to a gym is an intimidating experience. PERIOD. You will always have a person judging you, and there will always be people who are more fit than you. But for a gym to adopt a policy like "warning before canceling"... I find that to be complete crap. Unless you have a contract and it explicitly says in that contract "you cannot judge someone while in this facility", you can't do anything about it. And, not to mention, "judging" is a loaded and ambiguous word -- good luck enforcing a "rule" for it. I have never had a positive experience from a gym, except the one at my office... but to each their own.

With that said, I do not belong to a gym anymore. Maybe one day I will get back, but for now, not a chance.
  • staciekins
    Options
    I believe going to a gym is an intimidating experience. PERIOD. You will always have a person judging you, and there will always be people who are more fit than you. But for a gym to adopt a policy like "warning before canceling"... I find that to be complete crap. Unless you have a contract and it explicitly says in that contract "you cannot judge someone while in this facility", you can't do anything about it. And, not to mention, "judging" is a loaded and ambiguous word -- good luck enforcing a "rule" for it. I have never had a positive experience from a gym, except the one at my office... but to each their own.

With that said, I do not belong to a gym anymore. Maybe one day I will get back, but for now, not a chance.

It actually does say in PF policies: "No Weight Dropping. No Grunting. No Judging."
  • ABetterBalance
    Options

2. They cut the bars on the leg press machine so you could only fit 3 plates on each side.

No heat. Except number 5.

Dropping weights always annoyed me- they get bent and broken and then other members complain because all the weights are damaged.

The rest is just plain stupid. I've heard of dress codes at gyms before, but I never heard of one that discouraged grunting. Really?!? How do they enforce that?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Isn't it GOLD'S GYM that has signs posted that says "If you aren't strong enough to put the weight down, don't pick it up?" Seriously, complaining you can't drop weights might be the silliest reason I've ever seen for complaining about a gym. :indifferent:

Also, I've never seen a rule at my Planet Fitness against wearing muscle shirts. And I've never seen anyone chastised for grunting while lifting heavy.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends on your target market, but I'm turned off by the concept of "a gym for average people."

I'd prefer not to work out in a gym full of average people who are scared of grunting. It might rub off on me, and nobody wants that. And when I say "average," I'm referring to effort and attitude, not physical condition (everyone has to start somewhere). But give me a warehouse with no A/C, no cardio machines, and the absolute right to judge any and everyone who doesn't give it their all from the minute they walk in till the minute they leave. I don't have the patience for this "please notify a manager if someone looks at you funny or makes a noise while lifting" garbage.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    My opinon is if you are so easily intimidated that someone grunting or dropping weights makes you wet your pants and run from the gym you're never going to meet your fitness goals. You have to have a spine to get fit, grow a pair and get over it for God's sake.

Now if you just like the gym and the price that's fine but being intimidated? Really??? It's not like you're likely to be signing up for one of the undergorund BBer gyms.
  • agentmattdionne
    Options
    the rest of this thread brought the lolz
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Isn't it GOLD'S GYM that has signs posted that says "If you aren't strong enough to put the weight down, don't pick it up?" Seriously, complaining you can't drop weights might be the silliest reason I've ever seen for complaining about a gym. :indifferent:

Also, I've never seen a rule at my Planet Fitness against wearing muscle shirts. And I've never seen anyone chastised for grunting while lifting heavy.

Not in the corporate owned Gold's Gyms. There are franchised owned ones that have their own little rules.

I'll give you a scenario (and anyone that is serious about bodybuilding will know what I'm talking about):

I can bench press with 90 lb dumbells for 5 reps or so. I lift heavy. When I pull the 90lb DB's off the rack I set them on the floor. I sit on the bench, and my spotter hands me the 90lb db's while I'm seated which then I rest on my quads before I lay down on the bench and start my lift. Once I'm done my lift, trying to carefully ease that much weight down so I don't make any noise will lead to injury. I don't throw the weights on the ground, but I do let them fall somewhat so they make some noise. This would be unacceptable in the Planet Fitness world.

If anyone other person that is in the gym, any PF staff member, or any Gold's gym staff member has a problem with this then I don't know what to tell them. I'll go someplace else and give another gym my money.

Seriously.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Not in the corporate owned Gold's Gyms. There are franchised owned ones that has their own little rules.

I'll give you a scenario (and anyone that is serious about bodybuilding will know what I'm talking about):

I can bench press with 90 lb dumbells for 5 reps or so. I lift heavy. When I pull the 90lb DB's off the rack I set them on the floor. I sit on the bench, and my spotter hands me the 90lb db's while I'm seated which then I rest on my quads before I lay down on the bench and start my lift. Once I'm done my lift, trying to carefully ease that much weight down so I don't make any noise will lead to injury. I don't throw the weights on the ground, but I do let them fall somewhat so they make some noise.

If anyone other person that is in the gym, any PF staff member, or any Gold's gym staff member has a problem with this then I don't know what to tell them. I'll go someplace else and give another gym my money.

Seriously.

When I think of dropping weight, I think of the guy executing an overhead press and then just letting go, not a somewhat controlled descent. Of course, the Devil's Advocate argument would probably say, "If you have a spotter help you lift the weight into position, the spotter can also help you put them back down." I hear weights hit the floor all the time in the Planet Fitness I go to, and never see anyone catch flak over it. Maybe my local Planet Fitness is just odd...:laugh:
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I guess it all depends on your target market, but I'm turned off by the concept of "a gym for average people."

The sad thing is, most gyms are not targeting body builders or people who are currently fit and/or working out. The "target" is the rest of the population- the majority of people who do NOT workout. And the major reasons these people give for not going to a gym are cost and intimidation.

So gyms brag about their low cost, and their non-intimidating, judgement free atmosphere to bring these people in. They end up not meeting the needs of a smaller, but equally important group of members- the "serious" weight lifters. These "family friendly" or "average joe" gyms (mostly chains) all assume that the "meat heads" and "body builders" can just go some where else. But there is no where to go!

There are many reasons I quit my last job (managing a gym and personal training if/when I had spare time!) but this was a HUGE part of it. I felt like I was constantly fighting the system trying to come up with ways to retain our current membership. The people who would quit because of intimiation were, 95% of the time, really going to quit anyway and just looking for an excuse. The people who wanted to lift heavy were driven away because no one seemed to care to meet *their* needs!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

I can bench press with 90 lb dumbells for 5 reps or so. I lift heavy. When I pull the 90lb DB's off the rack I set them on the floor. I sit on the bench, and my spotter hands me the 90lb db's while I'm seated which then I rest on my quads before I lay down on the bench and start my lift. Once I'm done my lift, trying to carefully ease that much weight down so I don't make any noise will lead to injury. I don't throw the weights on the ground, but I do let them fall somewhat so they make some noise. This would be unacceptable in the Planet Fitness world.

Seriously.

injured my elbow like this, at planet fitness.
    I saw back with 60s or 65s. nothing really heavy but I just didn't have the right grip on the one in my left hand.
    arm wasn't set right and it started to slip.
    any other gym: drop the weight
    planet fitness: you can't drop weights, they'll sound a ridiculous alarm and come talk to you.
    so i tried to save it. ended up pulling something in my elbow during the process.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    People are really intimidated by grunting? I always get a little chuckle when I hear the grunts because I remember lifting weights that heavy in college and I'm thankful that I don't have to do it any more. I think that some of my family members have gotten in trouble at PF. They are college athletes that have a lot of heavy weights to lift during summer breaks. People who make rules about grunting have obviously never lifted heavy weights. It's almost impossible not to do it (if you are lifting correctly).

Generally, I think this nanny society crap needs to stop. If you are that fragile, how do you leave your house everyday? I can see being intimidated by the people who laugh and point at you. Or the guy who yells at "run fatty run" while you run outside. Even those things should motivate you to do better. Grunting, muscle shirts, and noises are not intimidating! I have been the PF when visiting family and I prefer my YMCA. I workout with members of the armed forces on a daily basis and I've never been intimidated. I think it's awesome to see people who are in amazing physical shape workout. It motivates me to do better! I get sick of the people at the gym who are simply there to socialize. I think these people are the ones that claim to be intimidated/threated by the people who are actually working out. I don't really care what other people are doing at the gym unless they are in my way (I have 2 more months until the January joiners get in my way on the machines).

If you want an excuse not to go to the gym, you can find it. Stop limiting the ability of others who actually want to put in the hard work.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness last January because of the price. I got lucky, because the location I go to bought out an old Gold's Gym. They have all their old equipment. Sure, there is a rule against deadlifting... but I think it's been overlooked there. I do them all the time, as does many of the guys. It's very close to the OSU Campus. So we get a lot of heavy lifters in there. No one really big, but a beginner body builder/power lifter can get a good work out at my location.

My goal right now is to burn fat and build muscle as I go along. When I get to my goal weight/size, then really hit it to build. For my goals at the moment, Planet Fitness is giving me what I need. However, there will come a time when I will need equipment that gives me a higher weight lift and when that time comes, I will have to move to another gym.

"I guess it all depends on your target market, but I'm turned off by the concept of "a gym for average people." "

I find it more sad that there IS a need for a gym for the "average" person. Except for body building... it is sad we need gyms, period. We live in a country where people drive around for an hour trying to find a parking space close to the door rather than park at an open space and walk. People don't get a dog because they have to take it outside and walk it.

Sadly, Planet Fitness is what is needed for the "average" person who doesn't take the time to walk to the store or play soccer with their kids.