One way to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes

Options
Below is a study from YES an actual medical journal that has sources which many people on MFP might not be used to since there is so much CRAP posted on these forums from undocumented sources. Anyway excuse my ranting as that is for a different post....

This study is stating that men who do high intensity interval training increase their insulin levels dramatically therefore preventing and/or reducing the chances of getting Type 2 diabetes. Pretty Cool Guys! And so easy to do!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2640399/?tool=pmcentrez

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Good study. I agree fully.

I had type 2 diabetes. Once I started heavy impact training and high level cardio, it went away. Amazing how that works. ;)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's good to know that I'm taking the right approach.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Good stuff OP.

Although i didn't read the entire page, does it say anywhere on there what their diet was?
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Good stuff OP.

Although i didn't read the entire page, does it say anywhere on there what their diet was?

From the study:
    All subjects were informed about how potential life-style changes could affect the results of the study, and were requested to maintain their normal diet and levels of physical activity (apart from the training program) throughout the duration of the study
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This study is stating that men who do high intensity interval training increase their insulin levels dramatically therefore preventing and/or reducing the chances of getting Type 2 diabetes. Pretty Cool Guys! And so easy to do!

The study reveals that HIT training REDUCES insulin.
    Which is good.
    As glucose goes up, insulin is released. Eventually, insulin meets the same level that the glucose is at (and is supposed to) bring the glucose level back down as it goes down. However, those with type 2 diabetes are insulin RESISTANT, meaning that their glucose does not respond to the insulin going up and trying to bring it down, causing the pancreas to secrete more and more insulin-- thus being insulin resistant, and having high glucose levels. Bam, diabetes in a nutshell.

Thanks for sharing.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    like!!! Don't have Diabetes, Got results back yesterday, all good I just think my fasting blood sugar should of been lower, I would like to keep it that way.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Good stuff OP.

From the study:
    All subjects were informed about how potential life-style changes could affect the results of the study, and were requested to maintain their normal diet and levels of physical activity (apart from the training program) throughout the duration of the study

Thank you. =)
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Below is a study from YES an actual medical journal that has sources which many people on MFP might not be used to since there is so much CRAP posted on these forums from undocumented sources. Anyway excuse my ranting as that is for a different post....

I can't look at it right now, but i'm curious whether this same thing would help reverse diabetes? My boyfriend is diabetic (diagnosed about 2 or 3 years ago)... so I just wonder if it could help him getting away from taking pills everyday. :)

Thanks for the post!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Not only is Type 2 preventable, but it is totally reversable! I was diagnosed with it 3 years ago, and I am diabetes free. I control it with diet and excerise

http://www.lifestylecenter.org/

This is a non-profit center run by doctors with over 20 years of research behind them. I have been a vegetarian for a long time, and when I was diagonsed, all my research was telling me not to be and to eat several times a day. then I found this group and it made more sense to me and fit in with what i need in food choices.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not only is Type 2 preventable, but it is totally reversable! I was diagnosed with it 3 years ago, and I am diabetes free. I control it with diet and excerise

http://www.lifestylecenter.org/

This is a non-profit center run by doctors with over 20 years of research behind them. I have been a vegetarian for a long time, and when I was diagonsed, all my research was telling me not to be and to eat several times a day. then I found this group and it made more sense to me and fit in with what i need in food choices.

That is great to hear! Have you ever looked up Dr. McDougal? He is known for reversing type 2 diabetes with plant based foods and exercise.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    What!?! Someone sharing an actual medical study done by real researchers!?!?!? *GASP* But really, I think that's a first for MFP. Thanks for sharing. That was really interesting. Hopefully I can get my husband to read it. :bigsmile:
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be very careful about over-generalizing this type of study. The study duration was only 2 weeks,using subjects who were young and fit.

Type 2 diabetes is mostly a lifestyle disease, strongly influenced by diet and body fat levels. Maybe I am missing something, but I am having trouble understanding what the preventive effects would be following this type of workout program 30 years in advance. By itself, it's not going to be that helpful in controlling body fat levels and the effects could easily be offset by diet. Maybe I need to read the whole study, but I don't see where this reveals much of anything.

Now, that being said, there is research showing the efficacy of both HIIT and resistance training in treating and reversing type II diabetes, so I am not suggesting that HIIT does not have value for diabetics.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    I think you have to be very careful about over-generalizing this type of study. The study duration was only 2 weeks,using subjects who were young and fit.

Type 2 diabetes is mostly a lifestyle disease, strongly influenced by diet and body fat levels. Maybe I am missing something, but I am having trouble understanding what the preventive effects would be following this type of workout program 30 years in advance. By itself, it's not going to be that helpful in controlling body fat levels and the effects could easily be offset by diet. Maybe I need to read the whole study, but I don't see where this reveals much of anything.

Now, that being said, there is research showing the efficacy of both HIIT and resistance training in treating and reversing type II diabetes, so I am not suggesting that HIIT does not have value for diabetics.

Well said.