red potatoe vs white?

Options
I have started eating red potatoes instead, are they better for you than white?

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    They taste better, lol....curious to know what others say...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    As long as it fits in your macros you can eat a purple potato if you would like :laugh:
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Red potatoes are lower in calories!!
  • galafassi15
    Options
    I say ex-nay on the potatoes.

Sweet potatoes and mashed cauliflower (to substitute mashed potatoes) make great, healthier alternatives.
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like them better and I usually leave the skins on them but won't on white potatoes and that is where most of the nutrion is in a potato anyways
    As long as it fits in your macros you can eat a purple potato if you would like .

I've actually eaten purple potatoes they taste different.... lol
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I love petite red taters :)
    Best ever recipe :
    Quarter red potatoes
    Add garlic, thyme, parsley, cayenne, paprika, S&P.
    Bake in 400 degree oven for 40 mins or so. Until cooked and brown.
    Add scallions and dijon mustard and mix
    YUM!!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato or Yam instead!
  • ahmedlogic
    ahmedlogic Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your macros you can eat a purple potato if you would like :laugh:

This. I think small things like this aren't really worth stressing over. Consistency is what matters. I prefer sweet potatoes myself :)
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    They sd sweet potatoe is better so that is what i have been eating
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Red potatoes are slightly lower in calories and contain protein whereas white potatoes don't have the protein. Both have fiber in them and provide quite a bit of potassium.

As for the sweet potatoes, not everyone likes sweet potatoes and they contain sugar (obviously) which may be something you want to stay away from - depending on your goals naturally.

I personally think everyone should have a variety and not limit themselves to one potato or the other.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I like red potatoes best, but I got a couple of yukons at the orchard. Also sweet potatoes are great for you and taste terrific, mash them with cinnamon! The mixed fingerling potatoes are great smashed with olive oil and garlic.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I say ex-nay on the potatoes.

Sweet potatoes and mashed cauliflower (to substitute mashed potatoes) make great, healthier alternatives.

No reason to give up potatoes.

OP: Red potatoes are higher in potassium. I love them roasted with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
  • MistyRD
    Options
    They are actually similar, about 1/2 cup of both types of potatoes has 15g of carbs which equals 60 calories.
  • johnsonc16
    Options
    I do NOT like sweet potatoes at all..
    I like to cut up the red potatoes in quarters (with skin on) throw on some seasoning in throw in the oven, soooo good!
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They have blue ones too...they turn the water blue when you boil them and kinda taste like arsh, but they look fun.
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    White potatoes are better for baking and other recipes that you want thicker skins.
    Red potatoes are better for mashing and recipes where you want thinner skins.

I say eat both, just as long as you're within your macros.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Japanese yam...hands down. I need one, now!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

This. I think small things like this aren't really worth stressing over. Consistency is what matters. I prefer sweet potatoes myself :)

for some people, the small things really do matter. But for calroies in/calories out people, sure, eat them. But for a lot of people, they dont want the spike in insulin levels.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The term "healthy" is a very subjective one, and depending on your goals and your dietary needs/desires, one person's version of "healthy" may not apply to you.

As such, OP, I'd recommend that you look up the nutritional contents of white potatoes and red ones, and compare for yourself.
  • galafassi15
    Options
    The term "healthy" is a very subjective one, and depending on your goals and your dietary needs/desires, one person's version of "healthy" may not apply to you.

As such, OP, I'd recommend that you look up the nutritional contents of white potatoes and red ones, and compare for yourself.

Truth.