Weight not dropping but size shrinking

Options
Help please,

I am 6 weeks along on my journey and set my target to lose 1 1/2 lb a week. So far I have lost 1 lb in 6 weeks. I am doing noting more in terms of exercise than I was doing before I started on this journey. In fact as a result of injury I am doing slightly less exercise.

So with a target Calorie intake of 1880 a day [I'm a bloke, 6.2] I don't appear to be losing any weight.

My clothes fit easier and I have done down a shirt size and up 2 notches on my belt but I still weigh the same!

At first I thought it was muscle taking the place of fat but not so sure. Some one said that I might not be eating enough and that my body might be holding on to fat etc.

I just switched my gaol loss amount to 1lb a week and my daily Calorie intake shot up to 2130.

Anyone got some idea on what's happening as I am beginning to get a bit despondent about my lack of real weight loss.

Some help please. ;-)

p

:smile:

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Drop in size/inches > drop in weight

I weigh only ten lbs lighter then last year but I wore a 12 then and now I'm a six
  • bwalters82
    Options
    Help? You're doing great! It's more important to lose size than weight.
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help but in the same boat so I am Bump'n this to see what others might say.
  • Barbey
    Barbey Posts: 4
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Help? You're doing great! It's more important to lose size than weight.

I agree. However, I find it odd that you're able to move your belt buckle an inch (2 notches), you've gone done a shirt size and you've lost just 1 pound in 6 weeks. have you weighed yourself first thing in the morning, after the bathroom and before eating/drinking, every time?
  • louisebear
    Options
    HEY WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!! Tape measure has become my best friend as my weight stays between 81 / 82 kilos target weight is 75 kilos!!! inches are noticeably coming off but weight remains the same.......this is a good sign as fat is turning into muscle, when u eat the right amount of calories and combine with exercise u will loss either way.....some are more lucky as the weight actually drops but for u and me and people like us.....inches come off first then followed by weight loss. confusing i know, just keep going with health eatting and little exercise and im sure EVENTUALLY the scales will show ur target weight....just keep ur tape measure near by and measure weekly.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just last week my Weight Watchers leader said it is a scientific fact that you cannot lose inches and weight at the same time. I have not seen the study or any reports, but if she is correct, then this might explain your problem. Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will catch up the inches. Good luck on your journey and don't get discouraged!
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm definitely getting smaller at a decent rate, but the actual number on the scales is going down very, very slowly. I put it down to a mixture of liquid retention, muscle building and my scales being completely useless. I'm obviously losing fat since I'm getting smaller. I mean I wore my smart trousers the other day for the first time in months, and they were incredibly loose. Practically falling off. I had to walk around holding them up to stop them from falling down since I didn't have a belt. Which is super inconvenient during a job interview, but at the same time it's great. I'm obviously on the right track, even if the scales don't show it.

So yeah, don't worry about it. We say we want to lose weight, but in reality we want to lose fat. Weight is just how we generally measure fat loss. And it is a rubbish indicator of fat loss. As long as you're losing fat and getting smaller, you're getting closer to your goal.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    HEY WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!! Tape measure has become my best friend as my weight stays between 81 / 82 kilos target weight is 75 kilos!!! inches are noticeably coming off but weight remains the same.......this is a good sign as fat is turning into muscle, when u eat the right amount of calories and combine with exercise u will loss either way.....some are more lucky as the weight actually drops but for u and me and people like us.....inches come off first then followed by weight loss. confusing i know, just keep going with health eatting and little exercise and im sure EVENTUALLY the scales will show ur target weight....just keep ur tape measure near by and measure weekly.

Definitely pull out a tape measure. On average I dropped a size for every 10 pounds, but there were a few stretches where I barely lost any weight at all, and still dropped a size.

I have to point out though that fat does not "turn" into muscle. They are metabolically different: muscle is active, but fat is not. You lose fat, and build muscle.
  • zer0fenix
    Options

I am 6 weeks along on my journey and set my target to lose 1 1/2 lb a week. So far I have lost 1 lb in 6 weeks. I am doing noting more in terms of exercise than I was doing before I started on this journey. In fact as a result of injury I am doing slightly less exercise.

What is your exercise/diet plan consisting of? If it is pretty monotonous your body has gotten used to the exercise patterns and your muscles have adapted to do the same exercise with even less effort. Without any real idea on what you are doing it would be hard to tell what the problem may be.
    Muscle gain could be one answer as I myself am weight training and while I have been losing small increments of weight, the difference in my size is noticeable. There are too many factors to consider. Bone density due to exercise can account for additional weight, water retention or lack of could cause difference, even your skeletal structure can play a part.
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat...so it looks like you are going in the right direction and feeding your body :) Did you take measurements before you started? It is amazing how looking at the change in those numbers can be a real boost in knowing things are going well! Many times the scale hasn't budged and I've been working hard and eating clean with lots of good fats and enough calories to fuel my workouts...but I'm always amazed when I look at the measurements and how much I've lost there! keep going! Start measuring if you haven't been :)

Looks like everyone else had the same idea and posted while I was typing :) Yay for measuring!
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Here's the funny thing about weight: if you go into space, you'd weigh 0lbs, but still look the same due to mass!!

So as long as the mass is going down, you're good to go :bigsmile:

(my physics teacher came up with that, its a great way to look at things!!)

i'm in the same boat you are. My scale won't budge, but when I look in the mirror, I can tell the difference! As long as you are making the right choices and exercising, the image you see in the mirror will reflect on the scale!! so measure measure measure! good luck!!:glasses:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I lose size before lose weight. I think if you only do the diet then the scale will drop down faster.
    When you do work out, pants size drop down faster than the weight. It has to do with increase muscle mass
    and also when muscle is rebuild (sored from weight lifting), it stores more water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Just last week my Weight Watchers leader said it is a scientific fact that you cannot lose inches and weight at the same time. I have not seen the study or any reports, but if she is correct, then this might explain your problem. Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will catch up the inches. Good luck on your journey and don't get discouraged!
    Your Weight Watchers leader is full of it. If you lost body fat, you lose weight and inches. I'd have her print that out from the source..............................of course if she's the source....................................
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Here's the funny thing about weight: if you go into space, you'd weigh 0lbs, but still look the same due to mass!!

No I wouldn't, I'd look much better without gravity! :-p
  • tallp
    tallp Posts: 9
    Options
    yup, weigh my self just before I get dressed and after my morning rituals!.

hence my question! and frustration.

cheers

p
  • tallp
    Options
    Thanks Louisebear. :smile:
  • tallp
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Littleenginethatcan ;-)
  • tallp
    Options
    What is your exercise/diet plan consisting of? If it is pretty monotonous your body has gotten used to the exercise patterns and your muscles have adapted to do the same exercise with even less effort. Without any real idea on what you are doing it would be hard to tell what the problem may be.
    Muscle gain could be one answer as I myself am weight training and while I have been losing small increments of weight, the difference in my size is noticeable. There are too many factors to consider. Bone density due to exercise can account for additional weight, water retention or lack of could cause difference, even your skeletal structure can play a part.

Hi,

I normally swim 1000m 1-2 a week and play competitive badminton singles / doubles for an hour a week.

haven't swum for 2 weeks but back to it tomorrow hopefully.

I am tall and stocky/broad shoulders and the last time I was my goal weight; as per the BMI index, I was 14!!!