Too much protein?

Options
I am fairly new to MFP and have been having trouble staying under my suggested protein level. I haven't gone above my calorie limit (or the carbs and fat for that matter), but the protein level seems to always go above my limit. I didn't realize that someone could consume too much protein. Will this hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    not a problem. the protein reccommendations are actually pretty low on MFP.

try using the "search" button. you'll find a million of threads with answers to your question.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would say No! the level for protein is very low on this site-

I never focus on staying under it but gather over it-

Its true too much is not good for you...everything in moderation-

as long as you are not doubling it every day- you should see it helps you as it fills you up more and gives your body what it needs!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No, MFP has a pretty low set-in protein level. You should go over. Actually you should get around 1-1.5 g protein per lbs you weigh. So don't worry about that, high protein and low carb will actually help you lose a little faster and a lot easier, less cravings and no hunger.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I am over every day too and it's my understanding that its ok. Have heard too that it's a low protein goal on MFP. I would love to hear what you find out about eating lots of protein.
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options
    I would say No! the level for protein is very low on this site-

I never focus on staying under it but gather over it-

Its true too much is not good for you...everything in moderation-

as long as you are not doubling it every day- you should see it helps you as it fills you up more and gives your body what it needs!

Honestly... there's really no problem with doubling it. I've changed mine and it's more than double what it was before. MFP's recommendation is better than the ones that are printed on nutrition facts (50-65) but still arguably inadequate, especially for anyone doing strength training.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    No, MFP has a pretty low set-in protein level. You should go over. Actually you should get around 1-1.5 g protein per lbs you weigh. So don't worry about that, high protein and low carb will actually help you lose a little faster and a lot easier, less cravings and no hunger.

just to be clear its 1-1.5g for your lean body weight. so if someone was morbidly obese and weighed 300lbs they should not be eating 300g of protein per day right?
  • zookeeperjess
    Options
    Not a problem dear! More protein is better! And it keeps you satisfied longer!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Can you eat too much protein? Not that I'm anywhere near it but just curious. How much would be too much?