Restricted to exercise temporily

Hi, I am new to MFP this week. I usually go to the gym 3xs a week, but I had some eye problems recently and had laser procedures on both. I can't do any gym, lifting, and just very easy strolls. I'm just worried watching my food will not be enough. It is driving me crazy. I guess it will be a slow process for me.

Replies

• I understand being worried because you can't exercise as far as toning goes, but remember for general weight loss it's calories in vs calories out. You might need to eat less since you won't be as active. Also, could you do some gentle yoga or something?
  • I can't have my head lowered below my heart and no strain. I even asked about some 2lbs. weights sitting down doing arm curls and the dr. said no. I will just have to be patient. My eyes are very important.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    How about going for walk?.....Perhaps it will help so that you won't go crazy while you are waiting for the ok from your doc.
  • Its okay not to be able to exercise. I am a fulltime worker go to school partime and have 2 kids so it is hard for me to get in some exercise. I walk when I get a chance but getting colder here so will have to find something else to do. I calculated my bmr which tells you how many calories your body needs and try to eat a little fewer so it will eat the fat I have stored lol. Hope this helps. Unfortunately not much can be done.:flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Exercise is important to get you in shape, but weight loss is more about calories. I wouldn't worry too much - after all this is just a temporary restriction right? And even though you are watching what you eat, make sure you're getting enough nutrition - I guess (?) laser procedures are less invasive than regular surgery, but your body still needs fuel to heal.
  • I love your quote, it is soooo true.
  • Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass It Is About Learning To Dance In The Rain. - Anon
    I love your quote, it is soooo true.
    [/quote]
  • Thanks everyone. I may try a leisurely walk. Not far and easy going. And I will worry about working out when the time is right. I think some of it is that I was in a routine and will now have to start over. But at least I will have my eyesight.