Strength Training...

Options
Ohhhh how I dread it. I am months into this and I NEED to start doing some strength training...

Here is the thing. I only have an hour a day to exercise, and I love me a good 45 minute cardio blast, I am not willing to give it up at all. I feel human and wonderful from my cardio.

I am looking for a simple weight training program that I can do at home (no more than 20 mins a day then) or at the gym right after cardio that takes no more than 15 mins..

Crappy criteria I know, but in thinking, any more than that and I will just not do it!

Anyone have any ideas or programs??

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Change your thinking. Give yourself 45-60 minutes on weight training days and skip the cardio. Try 3 days cardio and 3 days of lifting with 1 day of rest.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    somesort of circuit training routine is what you seek..where you hit the whole body. Curves does that for women so I am sure there is tons of ideas on the internet if you google it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Change your thinking. Give yourself 45-60 minutes on weight training days and skip the cardio. Try 3 days cardio and 3 days of lifting with 1 day of rest.

this.

you can get by with a 30 minute workout.
    but fitting strength training into 15 minutes is a bit difficult.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think I can help you find something that would work. Message me if you are interested on some suggestions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh how I dread it. I am months into this and I NEED to start doing some strength training...

Here is the thing. I only have an hour a day to exercise, and I love me a good 45 minute cardio blast, I am not willing to give it up at all. I feel human and wonderful from my cardio.

I am looking for a simple weight training program that I can do at home (no more than 20 mins a day then) or at the gym right after cardio that takes no more than 15 mins..

Crappy criteria I know, but in thinking, any more than that and I will just not do it!

Anyone have any ideas or programs??
    Weights first then cardio. Start with doing push ups and squats and go from there.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Agree 100% with this.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I would say check out Chalean Extreme... The workouts are around 35 minutes or so. You may also want to look into Jilliam Michaels and also check out www.collagevideo.com.. It gives you a description of the workout, length and reviews too! GL!
  • Nataliethin81
    Options

This...oops.
  • nirvana1
    Options
    Depends how heavy you want the strength training but as a starter, the 30 Day Shred combines, cardio, abs and strength.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Look up 5 factor fitness. Continue with your cardio and just add the weight training exercises from 5 factor fitness. I had some really good results from it some years ago.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just started New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. The first stage is a pretty easy, quick total body workout and only takes 25-30 minutes.

I love lifting though.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    3 days of strength training (Mon, Wed, Fri) - Full body routine

2 days of 20-30 min max HIIT cardio (Tues and Thurs)

Take Saturday and Sunday completely off.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells, but you do know the cardio gives you instant burn, yet the weights give you rewards up to 24 hours later.
  • Princessa1982
    Options

While I appreciate your opinion, I know myself and I see and feel the benefits of my daily cardio... I will not give it up, weither it is good or bad, I enjoy it too much!

I am however willing to cut the cardio back to 30 mins and doing 30 of strength as I know strength training is important, hence my needing to start it!
    I am also aware of teh fact that strength continues the burn whereas cardio is done when it is done... Thing is, I really do not do the cardio anymore to burn calories per se, i do it because I feel good when i do it!
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do your strength training in fits and starts throughout the day. I started with 2 pound dumbells. I bought several sets and keep them in the kitchen, in the bedroom, in my office, and on the bathroom sink. Whenever I think of it I do 15 reps of something. There is a great set of arm exercises for women on the Live strong site. Or if you Google "dumbells exercises for women" there are some sites that also show you ways to exercise your lower body while holding dumbells. I've worked up to 5 pounds per hand and am about ready to move up to ten. I travel a lot, and when I'm on the road, I use large soda bottles instead of dumbells. You can also use resistance bands at home if that works better for you. Work the dumbell reps into your routine. For instance if you work at a desk, do 15 reps of something whenever you get up to go to the bathroom and again before you sit back down. Good luck!
  • Princessa1982
    Options
    Do your strength training in fits and starts throughout the day. I started with 2 pound dumbells. I bought several sets and keep them in the kitchen, in the bedroom, in my office, and on the bathroom sink. Whenever I think of it I do 15 reps of something. There is a great set of arm exercises for women on the Live strong site. Or if you Google "dumbells exercises for women" there are some sites that also show you ways to exercise your lower body while holding dumbells. I've worked up to 5 pounds per hand and am about ready to move up to ten. I travel a lot, and when I'm on the road, I use large soda bottles instead of dumbells. You can also use resistance bands at home if that works better for you. Work the dumbell reps into your routine. For instance if you work at a desk, do 15 reps of something whenever you get up to go to the bathroom and again before you sit back down. Good luck!

That is a great idea, I run a home daycare preschool center for half the day and am home from noon till 4 daily with the kiddos, that would work!
  • Princessa1982
    Options
    Kettlebells, but you do know the cardio gives you instant burn, yet the weights give you rewards up to 24 hours later.

Thank you, I do know this, that is why I want to add some strength training in, though I love my cardio so much it is not just about calories burned!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    [/quote
    I agree with this.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Crossfit and circuit training type routine would be perfect for you hell of a cardio workout and still gets your strength training in. usually between 20-60 mins depending on the routine.