Ok, I'm Interested in the C25K Challenge!!

Options
I see a lot of people talking about the C25k 9week Challenge.

Can someone explain it a little more? How was your success with it? Where can I get more info on it? I'm really interested in starting it by nxt week, but would love to incorporate it in to my schedule today.

Give me any info you believe is necessary for me to know about it.

Opinions
Suggestions
Tips
Testimonies
Comments
Concerns

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, thanks in advance!:wink:

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Here's some more info: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I love it, I'm currently on week 7. Just a side note if you are running on a treadmill or outside. A treadmill is much easier than running outside. I've done both and was surprised at how much easier the treadmill was. I've hear from people if you set the incline of the treadmill to about 2.0 it kinda evens it out with running outside.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    just finishing up week 1 ... so far so good.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Google it..there's a site that'll tell you everything you want to know, including tips and even suggested podcasts to use. I did c25k and even though I still can't do a 5k, I enjoy running, which I never thought I'd say.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I finished C25K a little while back, and I loved it. I was never ever a runner before... I hated running for the sake of running. But I thought being able to run 5k was a good fitness goal so I thought I would just give it a try.

About halfway through the program I discovered that I actually really enjoy running. I only hated it before because I tried to do too much, too soon, and ended up feeling like I was going to have a heart attack and die. C25K works you in gradually, to minimize the heart-attack feeling, haha.

Go for it!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    LOVE C25K!!! Cannot say enough about it!

I will begin by saying I was never an athletic person, hated to work out, and haven't much at all during my adult life.

I started walking a couple of miles a day in May of this year. By the end of the month, I decided to start running a bit and started the program. I had a foot surgery on June 15, so was obviously out of commission for a few weeks. I did the program, followed exactly, and ran my first 5K on October 1st. It felt great!! I now run usually 5-6 days/week, between 3-4 miles every time. I'm totally addicted to running now! :smile:
  • TinyTina2012
    Options
    I'm on week 5 day 2 right now. I'm only halfway through the program, but I hope I can give you some insight.

Check out their site for the rundown: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's 3 days of running a week with each week getting a little more intense. Now I HATE running, but I've somehow managed to make my way up to week 5. I will tell you this -- don't push yourself!! There were many times where I had to repeat a day two or even three times before I was ready to move on.

I downloaded the iphone app so I can listen to my music and run. The app will tell you when it's time to walk/run so it's deff worth it if you have a smartphone.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

That's a breakdown of the challenge. There are many apps available for download, which is how I got through mine. I prefer running outside because I have more direct control over my speed but I also don't get bored like I do on a treadmill.

It took me two months to finish - as an asthmatic ex-smoker I had to relearn not only to run, but to breath and some weeks I had to do two, three or four times. It took me all of July to move past week five.

Almost two months ago I completed c25k and now run for 30-40 minutes three or four times a week. It's amazing, I'm proud of myself. I never thought I would be a runner, let alone actually ENJOY it. Now I look forward to running and it's an effective destresser. Time where I can put earbuds in my ears, wave at fellow joggers and let my stream of consciousness roll.

I -highly- recommend it.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too. I actually have the app on my iPhone now, so that's one step closer.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    You will like it. I do 5ks pushing my boys in a double stroller and I train with that. I know that I can run the whole 5k with them, but I like to have the breaks while training to catch my breath. I don't start out at week 1 though, cuz that's a little too easy for me, but if you've never been a runner you should start there.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    266lbs, 6'2 guy here: C25K not only changed my attitude towards running, but it has literally changed my life. I've gone from running 3/4 of a mile back in July of this year to running 4 miles, 3x a week (I ran 5 miles a couple days ago just because I felt like it). I did my first 5k last week and will be doing another one this weekend. I went to a running store and got fitted with some proper running shoes AND running socks. It's been golden every since. Was it easy? No. Was it worth it? Yes. Actually, it wasn't all that hard because I paced myself well and ran for distance. I could have not done any of this without a program like C25k! Personally, I think it is the best thing you can possibly do for yourself. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts. You have me so excited about starting. Anyone who is on the program now, feel free to add me so we can keep each other motivated. My mind is so powerful and I will sike myself right out of working out when I'm "going through". I want to continue my regular workouts along with this. That want be too much as long as I'm drinking a lot of water and taking a solid rest day will it? I will definitely blog my progress to help me stay motivated. I hope this can help me cut most of the 15-20lbs I wanna lose by Christmas. Either way though, if this program makes me enjoy running it will be worth it even if I don't make my goal by Christmas. Thanks again y'all!

OAN: Staffmeister, I love The Boondocks.
  • cmon288
    Options
    Here's some more info: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I love it, I'm currently on week 7. Just a side note if you are running on a treadmill or outside. A treadmill is much easier than running outside. I've done both and was surprised at how much easier the treadmill was. I've hear from people if you set the incline of the treadmill to about 2.0 it kinda evens it out with running outside.

Has this helped you cut the weight as well? If so, how long before you started noticing?
  • c00ncc
    c00ncc Posts: 55
    Options
    Tomorrow i'll be doing Day 3 of Week 5 of C25K....i couldn't even imagine me being able to do this 40 pounds ago....but i am really starting to enjoy running. I am shooting to try my first 5k begining of next year, we'll see how that goes.

There are times that you think you wont be able to run that much but just push yourself and you'll surprise yourself.
  • Goalinsight
    Goalinsight Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started this in mid-July and finished a few weeks ago. I too am now running 5k 3 times per week. For the first week, I thought I would die, as I have never been fit in my life. But this programme is literally life transforming. The time I spend running is wonderful for "head space" as well as fantastic for fitness and weight loss. You won't regret it. It's hard at times but the mental challenge is bigger than the physical one and the reward when you're finished is incredible. Good luck!

Incidentally, if you want a different podcast, try the one on the UK NHS website. Available here:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I just did week 1 day 3 last night. It is really hard for me to run for 60 seconds! I want to give up the entire time I am doing it, but feel really proud of myself when I am done! And it is the only time of the day I have really good self talk, most of the time I am negative, but during those 60 seconds I really talk good to myself. LOL I really hope it gets easier like everyone else says, but right now I simply can't imagine running more than 60 seconds at a time.
  • cmon288
    Options
    I just did week 1 day 3 last night. It is really hard for me to run for 60 seconds! I want to give up the entire time I am doing it, but feel really proud of myself when I am done! And it is the only time of the day I have really good self talk, most of the time I am negative, but during those 60 seconds I really talk good to myself. LOL I really hope it gets easier like everyone else says, but right now I simply can't imagine running more than 60 seconds at a time.

You're doing great. You actually sound like me. I'm the type of person that when I'm positive and optimistic everyone can see it and my actions work accordingly. Same for when I'm negative. I pray I can complete this challenge. You continue to keep up the good work and keep me posted on your progress. I will deff be blogging about mine as another means of staying motivate.

Thank everyone for the help and opinions again. You guess are Awesome!
  • cmon288
    Options
    Made my first blog entry last night. It's official I have begun the Challenge. I plan to be done by New Years! I'm so excited. Please continue to update me on your journey. Add me as well if you would like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cmon288
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    congrats for signing on! i completed c25k last spring. it took me a lot longer than 9 weeks, and i'm still not running 5k in 30 minutes - more like 35, but i'll get there eventually! if a week floors you, just modify it as you need and stay the course. there's one week that jumps from 8 minutes of running to 20 minutes of running. that one was killer for me, so i went for 11 minutes, then 15, then 17 and then 20. and i had to repeat some of those weeks. but i got there eventually. so my main suggestion is that if a week throws you for a loop, don't get frustrated and quit - just change it up so you can keep going! have fun and best of luck to you!
  • cmon288
    Options
    congrats for signing on! i completed c25k last spring. it took me a lot longer than 9 weeks, and i'm still not running 5k in 30 minutes - more like 35, but i'll get there eventually! if a week floors you, just modify it as you need and stay the course. there's one week that jumps from 8 minutes of running to 20 minutes of running. that one was killer for me, so i went for 11 minutes, then 15, then 17 and then 20. and i had to repeat some of those weeks. but i got there eventually. so my main suggestion is that if a week throws you for a loop, don't get frustrated and quit - just change it up so you can keep going! have fun and best of luck to you!

Hey thanks I really appreciate the suggestions. Definitely will apply as needed. I wanna get through this so I can put my mom on it. Even if she doesn't complete it, it will get her moving. Thanks and good luck with conquering 30mins!