My first 5k

Options
So my sister-in-law calls me this morning to tell me that she signed me up for a 5k next month. Normally I'd say no but I've been on an exercise frenzy and I want to try it....and she paid for it already, non-refundable. My problem is: I'm not a runner. I haven't ran since high school. I can do short bursts and then I have to stop.

The wonderful thing about this 5k is that its a walking/running one, so I can walk whenever I need to.

My question is, how should I start training for this? I don't want to look like an idiot or like a Phoebe.

imager.php?id=2640483&t=o GIFSoup

Replies

• mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k program, however since you only have a couple weeks and you are likely already fit to some degree.... Jump to week 5 or 6 and see if you can keep up. Adjust up or down in the weeks depending on how you do. Make sure to take the day off in between runs at the beginning especially. Stay at a healthy and comfortable pace. If your body isn't ready to run/jog the whole thing then don't :)
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    There are learn to run programs online and even apps for phones! Those are what a lot of ppl are doing. Couch to 5K. I suggest that. 5k is not difficult at all. I run it just about every day. Just make sure you stretch before and after to avoid any soreness or problems down the road.

Also, try not to run in bursts. Let ur main focus be... completing the 5k. Once you get there, THEN try to go for a certain time. I try to make goals each time I go out. It's like a race against myself haha.

Good luck! :)
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can walk/run it or even just walk it. I promise you won't look bad! The running community is usually very encouraging & most people love to see people out doing their first 5k! Good luck & just have fun!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    My kids want me to do a 5K in the spring so I have time to work on it. We had one on labor day and some ended up walking the second half, some kept a steady pace at whatever speed they were going through the whole thing and some jogged a little walked a little. I don't think everyone has to run the whole thing, just do what you can and if you like it do another 5K later on. JMO