weight gain

Options
hello all can you in theory gain weight even if you are eating the set amount of calories allotted to you here per day? i ask because this week ive been keeping within the set amounts but seem to have gained 2lbs in the wrong direction ahhh

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium intake
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    1. That time of month you can easily gain -- I almost always gain 5-7lbs and then lose it after that week
    2. Your settings are wrong and you're eating too much
    3. Your setting are wrong and you're eating too little)
    3. You're not tracking calories burned accurately (do you have anHRM with a chest strap?)
    4. You're eating a lot of sodium and retaining water

2lbs isn't much... I gain and lose this overnight all the time :)

EDIT: I see you have PCOS --- this makes weightloss even harder. (i've had it for years!) The best thing you can do for PCOS is lower your carbs and up your protein --- do not keep the default MFP settings. PCOS is another insulin resistant disease and one of the treatments is metformin which is also used for type II Diabetics. Basically a diabetic diet for lifestyle will benefit you the most.

PS There are LOTS soul cysters on this site!
  • kdenny1
    kdenny1 Posts: 134
    Options
    I try not to eat all of my exercise calories back. To me I think it defeats the purpose
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium intake

Yep, that. Make sure you are drinking lots of water to keep that salt moving.....lol. Too many foods have TONS of sodium and it can make you do that water weight gain.
  • Geneeevaa
    Options
    yes! I had this same problem! It could be how much sugars you are taking in compared to carbs. I thought certain fruits were okay, but the sugar content was so high that it was giving me the opposite effect. I found it's not all about just calories (sad trial and error) And when I first started I was only eating 3 meals a day and I have lost more by eating 6X a day, 3 meals( 4 oz protein per meal), 3 small snacks (with a high protein to carb ratio) ie: (snacks: cottage cheese, boiled eggs, tuna packs) and I have been losing more inches. Hope this helps!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You could have a slow metabolism. You could be overestimating how many calories you're burning, or underestimating how many calories you're eating. It could be water weight. It could be a normal fluctuation.

Two pounds is nothing, really. I went on vacation for the weekend and ate a lot of junk food. I weighed myself the next day and had gained a pound and a half! But a few days later and I lost that pound and a half again, plus more.

I know it's disheartening to see the number go up, but give it a few days and see if it corrects.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't panic like the others have said there can be many reasons for this, sodium, tom etc, just keep an eye on it over the next two weeks and if it keeps raising re-check your setting's or make sure that you are logging everything you eat accuratley, good luck
  • Mennassey
    Mennassey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Try to weigh yourself at the same time every time. Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning before you eat anything, and after using the restroom. Other than that, everybody else on here has some really good ideas on what could be causing the "weight gain" if its not when you weigh yourself.
  • mandyc1108
    Options

Two pounds is nothing, really. I went on vacation for the weekend and ate a lot of junk food. I weighed myself the next day and had gained a pound and a half! But a few days later and I lost that pound and a half again, plus more.

Yep. I gained 6.2 pounds is two weeks. My husband was on R&R from Iraq and wanted all these yummy, bad foods at once since he had been living in a crappy area with crappy food.....I just couldn't bring myself to not enjoy it with him.....LoL.
  • mandyc1108
    Options
    Sorry....not sure why my posts keep wanting to double post :/