WoW is this really possible?

Options
Hi everyone, need some imput. I purchased a new HRM ( other one broke) . Wore it for the first time while cleaning the house. It registered that I burned 418 caloris? Is that possible? I didn't even wash floors.

Thanks
Sophie

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Hmm I dunno. I don't think HRM's can accurately track things like cleaning, but i'm no expert.

They're made for tracking true cardio exercise.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, need some imput. I purchased a new HRM ( other one broke) . Wore it for the first time while cleaning the house. It registered that I burned 418 caloris? Is that possible? I didn't even wash floors.

Thanks
    Sophie

Possible? Yes. Your body burns calories daily even if you're laying in coma.

That said, I find it worthless to count things such as cleaning the house as exercise calories. You're only going to hurt yourself in my opinion.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    How long did you clean the dang house????? HAHA

Yeah it's possible. I mean, HRM's generally are very accurate. Depending on your weight, how much effort your exerted and how long you did it then yeah, it's a definite possibility that's accurate.
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, that would make more sense
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hmm I dunno. I don't think HRM's can accurately track things like cleaning, but i'm no expert.

They're made for tracking true cardio exercise.

They're made for tracking your heart rate and the ratio of calories burned to that. They can track calories for anything as long as you have a heart beat.. but that doesn't mean you should count EVERYTHING you do as an exercise.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Were you running around like a crazed monkey and wear a backpack full of bricks? hehe.

I would be suspect of those numbers.
  • DigitalAlchemie
    Options
    To get a more accurate number of extra calories burned you might wanna wear it when you're not doing anything for the same amount of time, and subtract that from how much it registered. We're all always passively burning some calories just be being alive but I don't think you would count the baseline metabolic functions as exercise.
  • cupcakes8kr
    Options
    LOL I cleaned for over two hours.
    I just bought the HRM and was testing it out - normally I don't count that as true exercise.

Thanks everyone
  • cupcakes8kr
    Options
    LOL Thanks for the vision of a crazed monkey Jeff made me smile
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Cleaning the house is true cardio exercise, especially for more overweight people because it's a pretty difficult task for some people. Hell, I work up a sweating vacuuming the floor. Anything that gets your heart rate going and you breaking a sweat is true exercise. There is no manual that lays out what is considered "real" exercise and what isn't. :)
  • BArdovino78
    Options
    I would say no. And have you programmed it to your age, weight, height, etc, etc?
  • cupcakes8kr
    Options
    Yes , all set for my age, weight etc. I just deceided to take 1/2 of that as calories burned,
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I wear a bodymediafit band, and house cleaning burns more calories for me than going out for a walk, depending on how vigorously I clean. (Being on my feet with light activity during the weekend burns more calories than sitting at work all day and then exercising hard for 60 minutes).
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    There is no manual that lays out what is considered "real" exercise and what isn't. :)

Sure there is, and it's quite simple. If you did it specifically for exercise, it's exercise and you count the Calories. If you would have done it anyways, such as cleaning or walking around the mall shopping, it's not exercise. There is some gray area however, because if you went to mall specifically to get exercise rather than to shop, then it counts because it was done just for exercise.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Based on my stats - I wear an HRM when I exercise - if I were to do a cardio exercise, I burn at least 10 calories per minute. So in 2 hours that would get me 1200 calories that I've burnt. Since cleaning the house is a lot less intensive than cardio, for 2 hours of work, 400 calories would sound about right to me.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I would say no. And have you programmed it to your age, weight, height, etc, etc?

Definately agree with the above statement.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible. You'd burn that much in 2 hours by walking at a moderate pace. But like others said, do you really want to consider that exercise? Even a sedentary lifestyle takes into account regular stuff like housecleaning.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would count it if it was something OUTSIDE of my normal activity levels.

And yes - it is possible to get a burn like that. Because of my size, I burn about 1000 in about 55 minutes of Zumba. This is with me trying to keep my arms below my heart for the most part so that my heart rate doesn't get too high. However, my friend (who is much smaller and works out a heck of a lot harder) only gets about a 700 calorie burn.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, if you are doing all of this at a fast pace, it could count. Work up a sweat? But IMHO, it might be just light walking as far as calories go
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No.