What do you think of a "cheat" day?

Options
What are your thoughts on taking an entire day off from logging and exercise, and eating what you want for one day each week? In your opinion, is it hindering the overall goal? This is only if you are committed and meet your diet and exercise goals every other day of the week.

Replies

• Moosiklaydy
    Options
    I believe in a little indulgence. A day off from exercise is perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't have a free-for-all eating day. Instead of it being an entire cheat day, one cheat meal a week seems to work for me. I get to enjoy what I love, relax, and still stay slim.
    I hope this helps :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule a cheat day, but if I randomly end up going out for happy hour one night and having a "cheat" day, it's all good, and I don't beat myself up over it.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have gone back and forth with this. I think a cheat day is ok, but more like, eat what you want but stay close to goal. A binge really can undo all your hard work.
    But mostly I think you should just try everything in moderation, like an 80% approach, where, either, you do really well 80% of the week, or 80% of your plate, or whatever works for you.
  • sharanranran
    sharanranran Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It works for me! :)
  • strangewebby
    Options
    I think it would depend on how overboard you go. You can eat what you want, but no need to go crazy.
  • scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    in my personal exxperience, if i have a day off, i will tend to eat every bad thing that i have been craving for the rest of the week...

what results is that the next morning, i have put on 2-4lbs, and i spend the next 3 days trying to shift that back off, and overall loose 1lb for the week if im lucky..

i found that i spend the whole week that im sticking to my diet, just waitng for my day off, when i will totally over indulge.. where as without the cheat day, my mind gets around the new diet/excersise, and accepts it as a final decision, and i can just get on with it.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I don't believe in cheat days, nothing would change if I didn't log in for a day. I'd still be eating what I have been.
  • vondeez
    Options
    i think it's alright as long as it's just the one day and you pick up where you left off the following days w/ eating right & exercising
  • aahand
    aahand Posts: 27
    Options
    I allow myself one "cheat" per week--either a dessert, candybar, or pizza. But not everything. This week, I'm particularly craving Grandma Utz kettlecooked potato chips. So, I'll allow myself the 99cent, small bag this week.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    When I was fatter, I used to take off the whole weekend and would still lose weight. After a while, that quit working so I just took one day off a week and that worked for a while. Then I started taking off one meal a week and that worked for a while. Now if I eat 'bad' I get really sick for a couple of days after so it's just not worth it. I've come to realize that if I would have been eating more calories back when I was fat, I wouldn't have need to 'cheat' and the weight would have come off just the same.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I personally think its a BAD idea....I don't work hard 6 days a week to blow day 7 to the moon. I could probably get away with doing that once a week, but would feel like crud, as I'm used to working out and eating right. I'm maintaing right now.
    While loosing weight I'd NEVER do that, but thats just me.
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't really PLAN a cheat day into my overall eating scheme, but I typically wind up having one anyway, and I'm okay with that. I mean, it would be wonderful if it didn't happen, but it usually does..... Usually on Saturday. If I don't plan it as a cheat day, I think I tend to "cheat" less than if I gave into the "I can eat whatever I want today!" mentality of a cheat day. So, I plan to stick to plan, then don't get mad at myself if I don't one day. I try to track, too. That was when I get on the scale and see a gain, at least I wont be clueless as to why. It serves as a reminder of, "OH yeah, I DID eat that buffalo chicken wrap, friends, and drank all that beer".... Oops! :) I try to be mindful, even when I'm cheating.
  • koolmamasan
    Options
    I use a "cheat" day but in moderation. Its usually Friday because that is our "night out" and I don't want to limit myself totally. I still am conscious of what I eat but I do not brow beat myself if I go over in the calorie count.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    I dont "cheat" there are days that I may not fit into the parameters I have set for myself for whatever reason....I over ate, I underexercised....but I try to always be cognizant of what I am doing...it is to easy to fall back into my old patterns if I lose vigilance...but that said....I do have those "oh boy" days and I no longer beat myself up over it....I just cut back a bit the next few days and exercise a bit more and it all evens out...You CANT cheat on a lifestyle change...you can only cheat on a DIET
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I never give myself a cheat day, what works for me is having what I want when I want it, in moderation of course and making sure I work out so that I stay under my calorie goal. I have changed my lifestyle so if I want a piece of pizza or a beer I get it but I always make sure it fits into my calorie count. That way I never feel like I am missing out or are deprived of anything.
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    Think about your calorie goal in a weekly format instead of a daily. If you are under your goal every other day of the week, then you could potentially rollover those extra calories into your "cheat day" and have some foods you might not normally eat. But if your cheat day goes so far overboard that it ruins the progress you've made during the week, it will do you no good. (I know from experience!)

I personally am a fan of the cheat day, as long as it's not out of control. It helps me stay super focused during the week because I know whatever I'm craving I can have on Saturday if I so choose. It also gives my body a calorie boost to keep from going into starvation mode since my calorie intake during the week is pretty low.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think there are several factors to consider. Will the person doing the cheating be able to resume their diet like nothing ever happened? How excessive of a cheat are we talking? 1k surplus? Maintenance? 4k surplus?

I think that for certain individuals it's a great idea. I currently have 1 day that I don't necessarily call "cheat" because I don't really know if I'm even going over. I incorporate an IDGAF day where I eat what I want and don't log it, just for the mental break. I'm willing to bet that in my case there are positive physiological effects as well, but I don't think it's a blanket "good idea" for everyone.
  • charliewhitford
    Options
    I do a cheat day every now and then, but not once a week. Once a week is a bit too often, but it depends on who you are and what your goal is. I'm 146lb trying to lose another 6, I'm starting to plateau a little so i couldn't get away with once a week. I'd stop losing weight altogether!
    Even when i do have a cheat day I do still log my intake though. I don't let the numbers stop me eating what I really want, it's just interesting to see how that tips me in my weekly summary! I probably go nuts once a month, usually after pay day and then my husband and I will do lunch or get a pizza. Good times :)
    I don't think there's any harm in a cheat day, but i think it's really important when you're trying to lose weight not to deprive yourself of the things you want on a daily basis. If you deprive yourself all the time you're more likely to fail because the "bad" things are just too damn tempting! Also it's pretty important, when you're trying to lose weight, that you don't go too nuts on a cheat day and eat thousands of calories because then you're at risk of undoing all the good work you put in the rest of the time.
    In moderation is always the key!
  • danniiiielllaaa
    Options
    I believe it's ok every once and a while. Like, every 2 weeks I might let it go a little bit. But not much. I still log it in and try to stay near. But if you want some pizza, eat some pizza. You want some chocolate or a candy bar or cookies. Have a little.
    It's always good to indulge a little on the good stuff you cut out.
    And if you feel guilty. Go on a walk later.
    In the end, you'll have want you like and it could be like a little reward to you. :smile:
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    I feel like life is short so if I take a day off usually a Sat or Sun, I will get back on track the next day.