Working Mom is new to MFP and wants advice!!!

Options
Hi Everyone! I just joined today and I feel a bit excited by the connection everyone seems to have with each other. I want to loose a total of 32 pounds and I've tried just about everything except the right way! I've tried to go the easy and expensive routes but with no success. My biggest challange is figuring out WHEN I will have time to excersice! I'm up at 6am every morning getting my two children (girl 9 & boy 12) off to school. Then I'm at work by 8:30, off at 5pm at which time I turn into mommy the cab driver! My daughter (let's just call her the drama queen) is off to dance class and my son (the 12 year old "old man") is off to band practice, baseball, or basketball depending on time of year. By the time I'm home, it's time for dinner, homework, and exahaustion. I just put on my profile that I'm going to work out 5 days a week and I really don't want to be a liar! HELP!!! I'm 41 and I want to be fabulous until the death! Fabulous to me means strong and healthy. I have a 63 year old mom who can run circles around me and I just want to be able to keep up with her! This life is a blessing and I want to be here to see what else is to come! Thanks!

Replies

• mom2lyla
    mom2lyla Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What time do your kids go to bed? I usually work out when my daughter is in bed--either early (like 5 or 5:30 am) or in the evenings. She goes to bed at 8 so I can work out, get my shower, and get to bed at a decent time. I also work full-time. It's SO hard to juggle, but so worth it!
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a working mom too and like you I have just about zero time to exercise. I also get up at the crack of dawn so my only "down time" is at work! (Ironic right?)
    Well my office is really a great place to work but even if you have a crummy job you still get a lunch break right? I have a Monday.Wednesday.Friday workout routine that I do with all the girls here in lobby. We kick off our morning by doing the first set of 10 reps together...then we do the other 9 sets of 10 in our own offices during the day. We also get a 1 hour lunch and team up to walk the first 30 minutes together....at a 2.5-3 mph pace...so about 2 miles!
    Our workouts are simple and you can do in any outfit, just may need to remove the shoes. I do them barefoot.
    Monday: Rotating Punches
    Wednesday: Jumping Lunges
    Friday: Hopscotch Drill

If you want to know how to do these, just ask. I also do jumping jacks for about 1 minute at a time on Tuesdays and Thursdays in between bathroom runs!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Can you take a walk/run while the drama queen is dancing and the old man is at band practice? Also, if you get to the end of the day (I know, you'll be exhausted) and haven't exercised, check out you tube. Just do something, and you'll figure out what works best. Good luck.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. You have to schedule it like anything else. I get up at 5 a.m. and run in the mornings since cardio keeps me awake at night. I do strength later at night a few days a week since that makes me tired and doesn't take as long. Gyms are out of the question, too much travel and prep time, and I hate them. Find something you love to do that you can do at home or outside and you'll be far more successful. The key is to MAKE the time, don't try to find it.
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am a 43 year old working mom. There are many on MFPers trying to balance it all so I'm sure there's lots of women who can relate. Personally I will run on the treadmill after dinner for 35-40 minutes three days a week. My kids are younger (6 and 4), so they usually are playing nearby during that time. If you're not helping with the homework, maybe you can squeeze it in then? Or an exercise DVD? When the weather is nice, it is non-negotiable (which is really hard to pull off with the husband some days), but I just say that I'm going running and I'll be back in 40 mins. The world doesn't fall apart in 40 mins usually.

I know it's hard to find the time, but once you start a routine, it gets easier and you learn to look forward to the exercise "me" time.

Add me if you'd like!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have 2 kids but mine are younger so the dreaded clubs haven't really started...I try to do a workout DVD before they stir most days, it gets it over with and I don't find I'm significantly more tired. Maybe if your fabulous mom is nearby she could take the kids for an hour or two at the weekends, or you could run them around at the park?
    Is your work flexible at all, so you could take a longer lunch some days and go for a run?
    OK I'm out of ideas! But good luck!
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Another working mom here as well! I find that by the time I have "down time" at night, it's typically 9:30pm and when I exercise that late, I'm too amp'd to go to sleep at a decent hour. And since I'm not willing to get up at 4:45am to get a workout in before I have to get ready in the morning, I bought a mini stepper machine and have it here in my office! I jump on it at least three times a day and manage to get at least 40-45 minutes on it a day. Be sure to bring good shoes and a fan to work and you're all set!! :smile:
  • Bossladee121
    Options
    You guys are the BEST!! I love that some of you have your stats listed right there for everyone to see! "Mom2lyla" and I are almost EXACTLY at the same starting weight with the same goal. That is very encouraging for me. I think I'm going to try the early morning work out as long as I can stop hugging my mattress by 5am! I'm just going to keep trying until I get it done. I really like the idea of taking a walk while my little people are enjoying their extra curricular activities, that's a GOOD one. I usually take a book with me and read but I guess that's the reason why my hips are spread everywhere! Thanks for the excellent advice
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am a 43 year old working mom to a 6 year old little boy. Nights are so hectic that I just don't have the time, I want to relax for an hour after he goes to bed. The only time I regularly work out is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at lunch time, I go to a personal trainer at a gym a block from my office. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can relate. I'm 41 with a 12 year old boy and and a 9 year old girl. Others made some great suggestions. One thing I've tried is DVR'ing exercise shows on TV and then picking one each morning. It helps keep it interesting. Good luck!
  • ZCEmama
    ZCEmama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult to find the time. I am a 39 year old working mom and I understand. I try to send my 2 year old little girl off with her daddy for a bit while I do a kickboxing or yoga video. My 11 year old boy enjoys working out with me, so I get the bonus of "mommy" time with him. I try to do it directly after work and then I do dinner, homework, chores, etc. If hubby works late, we put baby girl in the stroller and take a walk. Or, I wait until baby girl goes to bed and then I do my work out. I also do weights, stretching, push ups, sit ups while I catch my hour of t.v. in the evening, usually around 9pm or so. Good luck!!
  • ljennings
    Options
    I recently read that book, "How does she do it" I found little humor in it even thought it was supposed to be funny because I kept thinking oh my gosh this woman is living my life.

I completely understand your situation, I am a 43 year old working mother of 3, ages 12, 7, and 5. I am up at 5:45 out of the house at 7:15 work for 8-5:30 usually. I am running to hockey, soccer gymnastics, play practice, girls scouts for one and I am the girl scout leader for another. I have stuggled for years to lose weight and find time to exercise. I have found that the only way is to get someone else to support your efforts by taking on some of the runnign I have int he evenings and on the weekends. Fortunately I have a spouse who has decided finally after 12 years to help me out that way. I go to a kick boxing class every sat. morning and Monday evening. I love this because it is a high calorie burner. Depending on your level and workout you can burn soemwhere between 500-1000 calories. Then I bought a Jillian Michaels workout tape and my 5 & 12 year olds love to do it with me in the living room. Also, my 12 year old just bought a just dance for the wii and it is kind of fun. I am trying to combine my kid quality time with my workouts. We also have a trampoline for the kids. My 5 year old is on a behavior plan at school and when she has a good day she gets to pick from a variety of rewards one of which is tramp with mom for 15 mins. She loves it and though it nearly kills me every time I figure that is my mini workout. It is really hard to get enough in.

Just try to remember that you actually already are 40 and FABULOUS! Hope that some of these ideas help.
  • Bossladee121
    Options
    I tried the just dance for the Wii a couple of months ago and I almost through the whole console out of the window. That is actually a goal of mine to be able to finish a complete song and routine. Everyone's support has pretty much obligated me to get up in the morning and work out so I will let you know how it goes!!!! NO MORE EXCUSES!!!! I'm starting my new healthy eating plan tomorrow also, I just have to figure out what to do with my sweet tooth. I have it bad. Well, gotta get back to 4th grade math that I must admit I'm having a problem with!
  • ltaylor9597
    Options
    Hi everyone! So good to see this message board! I am a 35(almost) working mom of three (14, 8 and 6) and can completely relate with so many of you! I have been struggling a TON with figuring out a time to work out. I get up at 5:30am to get myself and everyone out the door by 6:45am. Work until 4:15pm, typically we spend evenings running to soccer or marching band. By 8:30pm I am wiped and have no energy for anything. The only option I have been able to come up with is to get up at 5am and get in a work out first thing in the morning. While I would rather do it in the evening I always wind up with a bunch of reasons to not do it or am just too tired to even think about it. Now that I know that 5am is the key time for me I need to make it a priority and actually get my butt out of bed and get it done. I have been nearly desperate trying to find a group on here filled with working mom's struggling with the same issues I am. To hear all your ideas and the fact that you are figuring out ways to work it in are a relief! Do any of you have any boards on here you recommend joining? I have been having a hard time finding one to stick to! :)