Protein Snacks?

Options
Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting on the message boards. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for high protein, low calorie snacks. I can't have peanut butter and most nuts which is what most people tell me to have. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese. 80 calories for 1/2 cup with about 14 g of protein!
    or egg whties
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! Skim milk, string cheese...most dairy! Second the egg whites, also hard boiled eggs in moderation.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Low fat greek yogurt plain, with stevia or a spoon of homemade preserves, apple sauce to sweeten it, a serving ranges from 13-18g of protein, a good quality whey protein powder, tuna, black beans, lentils (both complete protein sources unlike many beans) cottage cheese, grilled chicken breast. :) And welcome to the forums.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I keep Weight Watchers string cheese in my fridge, if i'm hungry before going to the gym I will eat one of these.

They also make a great snack and have 6g of protein.
  • Bear91
    Bear91 Posts: 5
    Options
    If you like granola bars there is a good recipe for making protein bars. Mix peanut butter, protein powder and oatmeal (just enough to make it solid) then mix it with water. I have the recipe if you are interested.

Also you cant go wrong with hard boiled eggs, and non-fat yogurt with almonds.

Hope this helps.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    beef-jerky.jpg
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Protein shake/bar
    Soya Pudding or Soft tofu with fruits
    Shake with eggs whites in
    Edamames
    Hummus dips or other beans
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    beef-jerky.jpg

Thats exactly what I was going to recommend! If you know a hunter, try to get your hands on venison jerkey. They can use a little less salt to keep sodium a little lower. Leaner and meaner :)
  • timk86
    timk86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have that problem, too. Try hard-boiled eggs, low-fat cottage cheese, 2% cheese sticks, Snack Wells cereal bars, a slice or 2 of deli turkey. I sometimes have beef jerky, but that's so high in sodium. Oh yea, greek yogurt.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you like granola bars there is a good recipe for making protein bars. Mix peanut butter, protein powder and oatmeal (just enough to make it solid) then mix it with water. I have the recipe if you are interested.

Also you cant go wrong with hard boiled eggs, and non-fat yogurt with almonds.

Hope this helps.

LOL... you must have missed the part where she said that she can't have peanut butter or nuts ...
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Cereal 13gr per 1 cup (Great dry)
    Chaboni Greek Yogurt 13 gr
    (The above two mixed together is great too.)
    Protein shakes
    Babybel Light cheese 2 are 100cals & 12gr protein
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into supplements? Also Met-rx makes a variety of high protein bars some with low sugar higher fat,and some with lower fat higher sugar,with up to 32 grams protein per bar and they taste great,a large flavor variety,or whey isolate protein shakes are clean low carb,low or no fat low sugar,also casein protein for a slower acting,longer lasting protein,these are good if on a low cal diet to get protein in you or if you are trying to build lean muscle mass they have worked for me towards both my goals of weight loss and now lean mass gain.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    beef-jerky.jpg

Very high sodium ,great protein & low fat
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a spicy homemade venison jerky that I make. Other jerky would work too. I also like to snack on small grilled chicken breast tenderloins. I usually grill a bunch at one time and then keep them in the fridge for easy snacking.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is fabulous; once you try it you'll never go back. Chobani is my favorite brand, though it is often expensive, but you might be able to catch it on sale.

Also, if you drink coffee, a protein-laden alternative is the Bolthouse Farms brand protein smoothies. There's a Hazelnut Latte, Vanilla Latte, Vanilla Chai and Mocha Cappuccino, all of which are delicious and very high in protein. They do have a lot of sugar though.
  • Cinbeth
    Cinbeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I got some great ideas to get me going!!