Elliptical trainer

Options
Can anyone help me I do an hour on the elliptical can i use it everyday i have bad knees so i can't run.

Replies

• angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee and the elliptical is the only thing i can do on a daily basis that won't make my knee hurt. But if i go for a regular walk everyday, my knee kills me! So i would say yes for the elliptical....but that's just my opinion....but it doesn't bother my bad knee. :smile:
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    I do it 3-4 times a week, I see nothing wrong with it. It's low impact and cardio is something that can be done every day. It's not like weight training where you might be straining/damaging your muscles if you do it too much. Go for it!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    the elliptical is a little bit easier on the knees then running, but everyday might be a little much. maybe switch between this and the bike?
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have pretty screwed up knees so I understand. I tend to stick to the stationary bike and the tred. Though I do try to run one minute every day I go to the gym. Focus on some things that will help your knee. I know I had to focus on that for a while to be able to do anything.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is a great cardio workout that you can do daily, just make sure you are incorporating some strength training at least 2 times a week.
  • wnw64
    wnw64 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello, I use the elliptical Mon-Fri for 30mins (everyday) & I don't have any issues with it. I feel that it has helped strengthen my leg muscles which in turn has help eliminate my knee pain. It's the best exercise invention ever!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest doing it EVERY day. I had foot surgery in June & am jsut now starting to get mobile again. My physical threapist & doctor only want me on my eliptical every other day & that depends on how I feel each day.
    So, please check with your doctor first before you start using it.
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me I do an hour on the elliptical can i use it everyday i have bad knees so i can't run.

Sure, you can do it every day to get your cardio. In fact, I have an ellipse and wow! it is very challenging. I find it harder to keep up than a treadmill. I have a bad knee too so I know where you are coming from.

That being said, if you are trying to lose weight and stay healthy, I would also include weight training in your workout regimen a couple days a week. Building muscule helps increase your metabolism, keeps you strong and helps achieve the sculpted look we all long for! :)
    I try to do 30-45 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week and then do weight training 2 times a week.

Good luck. I hope this info. helps.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical, it does everything I need it to. Raises my heart rate, offers me a challenge and its in my office. Everything I have read says that it is the same work out as running. If you do an hour make sure you give yourself a challenge by raising the level or incline if you have it. You don't want your work out to be too much the same all the time. I do intensity training on mine. burn the calories in half the time and keep them burning after your done too.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you mix up your exercise a bit to make sure you're toning up all over...not that I achieve this!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    The best machine I've found on my ankles is the arc trainer. Elliptical isn't too bad, but after an extended time (45 min+) on it, it does start hurting. I switch to the arc if that happens.