Is it true if you don't do it you loose it?

Options
Sorry for the title, it amused me, lol... anyways...

So with winter coming, I have a question...

If you stop running will you have problems come next spring?

I plan to run as long as possible, but I get sick easily and sooner or later I'll have to stop... My treadmill only goes up to 4.0 which isn't jogging for me.. just walking fast... and we have no local gym with a place to run... no indoor place to run anywhere near here.

I am going to keep going as long as possible, but sooner or later will come the day I can't go outside any longer to do it :(

Will it be hard for me to start up next spring? Will I loose all the progress I made? (I can run 1 min, walk 1 min for 30 minutes... still working on being able to run full out.... not sure I"ll get there by winter).

I have been worried about this for awhile and figured I'd finally ask... any experience with this?

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I know for me if I don't run for a few days I have a hard time.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    What about a local school gym where you could run, surely there has to be something.
  • nestofhope
    Options
    a lot of the local malls have a time when you can go to run or walk indoors for an hour before the mall opens, you could see if that might be an option for you other than the local schools or a seasonal gym membership :)
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Look up Yaktrax. They come highly recommended on the mother's running site that I frequent.
  • CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have always slid back if I don't keep it up. It's not AS hard to restart for me after a bit, but I always lose endurance.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You will have a hard time starting back up in the spring.

I'd plan on getting some good cold-weather gear, or find a place indoors, and continuing training if maintaining/improving is important to you.
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How long are you likely to have to stop for?

You should find it easier to start up again than it was to start from scratch, and in my experience, I made much faster progress after a break.

I'm on 10k 2 or 3 times a week at the moment, and will stop running for 2 months from the end of November. I'm thinking (again, based on having stopped for 6weeks this summer after injury) that I should be able to pick up again in February from around 5k, and work back up to 10k within a few runs.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I say Use the 4.0 Treadmill, Way better than not. here's a thought: Ask for a New Treadmill for Christmas, Looks like you've worked really hard to get where you are now. Good thinking to stay on track ahead of the Up comming Weather.:happy:
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    a lot of the local malls have a time when you can go to run or walk indoors for an hour before the mall opens, you could see if that might be an option for you other than the local schools or a seasonal gym membership :)

Closest mall is an hour, can't afford the gas.

Local schools keep their doors locked and don't let "outsiders" in.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    run around your house like a mad man? xD
  • silhouettes
    Options

Gym has no running area, is very small, only weights and treadmills and stuff.. it's a small city I live in.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    I say Use the 4.0 Treadmill, Way better than not. here's a thought: Ask for a New Treadmill for Christmas, Looks like you've worked really hard to get where you are now. Good thinking to stay on track ahead of the Up comming Weather.:happy:

Thnks! :) Unfortunally we are on a tight budget this year for Christmas, we only have $400 to spend on the whole family including each other, so I doubt I can find a good treadmill for my share of the money.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    How long are you likely to have to stop for?

You should find it easier to start up again than it was to start from scratch, and in my experience, I made much faster progress after a break.

I'm on 10k 2 or 3 times a week at the moment, and will stop running for 2 months from the end of November. I'm thinking (again, based on having stopped for 6weeks this summer after injury) that I should be able to pick up again in February from around 5k, and work back up to 10k within a few runs.

I'm not sure, I get sick easily, but I will be out there EVERYDAY possible, but it snows here in the winter.. and when that happens there could be weeks I can't go outside or risk falling down and breaking something lol. I am going to go as often as possible, but for the winter months, not sure how often that will be, I wasn't doing this last winter so it's a first for me!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can't quite tell if you're proposing eliminating cardio entirely, or are just concerned with losing running "skills". I assume this is stating the obvious, but you definitely will lose your stamina quickly if you stop running and don't do something that keeps your heart rate at an equivalent level. And I don't run specifically, so I can't speak to losing your "running skills". You will probably find an elliptical machine to be relatively easy compared to running, but if you do it on high resistance and eventually also high incline, it can probably be a decent substitute to keep those same muscle groups (quads and butt) from atrophying. Does your gym have one of those? I will swear by the elliptical machine. :smile:
  • gooteek
    gooteek Posts: 64
    Options
    Last winter I wrapped up in a face mask and sweats and ran in the freezing cold, it can be done, but is not fun. The face mask gloves and skull cap made a huge difference in keeping the heat in and making sure I kept warm. I would make sure you still use socks and clothes in layers that will wick away the sweat though or you risk getting cold when you stop for very long and then getting sick. I ran the 4 mile of country roads around my country block, so I knew I was always ending at my home once I was done running, which helped as I run until I was back in doors.

Hope that helps.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't read the other posts but does your treadmill incline? If it does then walk the 4mph and set the incline as high as you can handle it. This is what I did to increase my running speed. I'm sure it could help keep you at your level of endurance.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    you said the gym near you has weights and treadmills, why can't you use those treadmills to run?
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear."

- Sir Edmund Hillary
  • silhouettes
    Options
    "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear."

- Sir Edmund Hillary

Perhaps, but you ever try running ON snow? (they don't clear the streets very good here being a small town and I prefer not to get ran over)
  • silhouettes
    Options
    I can't quite tell if you're proposing eliminating cardio entirely, or are just concerned with losing running "skills". I assume this is stating the obvious, but you definitely will lose your stamina quickly if you stop running and don't do something that keeps your heart rate at an equivalent level. And I don't run specifically, so I can't speak to losing your "running skills". You will probably find an elliptical machine to be relatively easy compared to running, but if you do it on high resistance and eventually also high incline, it can probably be a decent substitute to keep those same muscle groups (quads and butt) from atrophying. Does your gym have one of those? I will swear by the elliptical machine. :smile:

I'm not sure exactly what the gym has, I'm not a member right now, it's small, to small to have a running area.. as small as a cell phone store... I assume they have treadmills, but not sure what else, guess I can go check it out someday.

And the reason I couldn't run on my treadmill is because it doesn't go fast enough. I "heard" the gym's doesn't either, but I haven't went to see for myself yet as money is tight.

I don't plan on stopping exercising! I have video's and stuff to exercise with my heart up, just not sure about jogging after winter hits..