A Way to fill up with less food!!

Options
I hada friend who was determined to lose 15 lbs before her wedding. She shared with me that one thing she was doing (aside from dieting and trying to excercise) was eating using chopsticks.....She said it helped her to eat much slower so ehr body would fill up with less food.

Think about it, picture a plate of your favorite meal, steak and potatoes, fettucine alfredo, ham and cheese casserole......you scarf the thing down and go back for second a lot right..? Well if you try eating with chopsticks, it will slow you down so you'll feel fuller faster instead of eating fast and then 10-20 minutes later feeling super bloated and sick.

I haven't peronally tried it yet but she met her goal and then some! I'm going and getting a washable pair today!! :laugh:

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This only works if you suck at using chopsticks.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

good point...so it would work for me =) lol
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    That's actually a pretty good idea. Especially effective if you eat a lot of soup. ;)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm actually not too bad with chopsticks. At least, for a white girl. Dammit. :grumble:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have a japanese friend..so I am quite good using them..oh well..
  • MuseumOfAsh
    Options
    This sounds pretty brilliant. I'm one of those who eat breakfast/lunch/dinner in about 15 minutes, scarf it down and go. People always tell me how fast I eat. Trying chopsticks definitely sounds like an awesome idea. Now I just need to figure out where to get some!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'd just slup it from the bowl...
    That's actually a pretty good idea. Especially effective if you eat a lot of soup. ;)
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Wouldn't work for me though... The time it would take me to chew a big fork full of food, I could shovel in the equivalent with chopsticks... So I'm out on this one.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

QFT

I rock at chopsticks and they do not slow me down.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    good idea in theory but I'm pretty pro at using chopsticks :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    good idea in theory but I'm pretty pro at using chopsticks :)

Likewise, however I will consider applying OP's theory by eating with a bowling pin.
  • Fockertots
    Options
    LOVE this idea.

You're onto something here, lady...
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Maybe you guys that are good at chopsticks already could switch to toothpicks? It would definitely look funny :) I'm not too bad at them, either, tho.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Picturing someone eating with two toothpicks....
    bwahaha
    Maybe you guys that are good at chopsticks already could switch to toothpicks? It would definitely look funny :) I'm not too bad at them, either, tho.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    [quote}

I haven't peronally tried it yet but she met her goal and then some! I'm going and getting a washable pair today!! :laugh:
    [/quote]

Let us know how you get on! I'm so uncoordinated that it would work for me because the food would end up on the floor...
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I also heard using your non dominant hand to feed yourself works too. Like writing, your brain has to work extra hard to use it when it's not been used for that purpose.

I just drink 12-16 cups of water a day (16 cups = a gallon). It took some working up to, but it's been worth it. I crave water more than food now. :-)
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just mindful eating and learning to eat slower and chew your food will do the same.
    A good book to read on all of this is mindless eating by Brian wainsink.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That would REALLY slow me down considering I absolutely suck at using chopsticks.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Eh, it's just portion control. I tend to eat my lunch pretty fast and still feel hungry when I'm done, but I've learned how much it takes to fill me up and I know that in a few minutes I will not be hungry anymore.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good with the chopsticks- so this would not work for me but I do think its a good idea for those with chopstick issues.