Healthy and Cheap Starbucks Tip

Options
Like most people, I LOVE the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, but I don't love the calories. I did some research and figured out that if you get a grande coffee, add pumpkin spice syrup and non fat milk you can save lots of calories and about $2. Tastes basically the same to me.

You could always get a latte with skim milk, but they usually put the whipped cream on top and its so hard to say no when they ask if you want the whipped cream...

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You could always get a latte with skim milk, but they usually put the whipped cream on top and its so hard to say no when they ask if you want the whipped cream...
    Isn't that just the sad truth?
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    great tip.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky - I never had one with whipped cream so I don't know what I'm missing - I just order mine with Skim and no whip. I tried it with soy - not the same for some reason.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think its the whole moderation thing. Yesterday was my daughters bday..we went for coldstone..I opted for a nonfat mocha..and no whip cream..was about 140 calories...

I didnt feel that I missed out..considering Saturday is her birthday meal..saving up for that..(calorie wise..) but then going to a brazilian steakhouse..so will surely get lots of protein..just have to remember to drink loads of water after..
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I get mine notfat and half sweet with no whip. I find them too sweet anyway so this cuts down the calories and sugar a bit. But I think I'm going to try the pumpkin spice syrup in regular coffee now! Sounds yummy!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm lucky - I never had one with whipped cream so I don't know what I'm missing - I just order mine with Skim and no whip. I tried it with soy - not the same for some reason.
    agree with that
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do this with most of the more decadent specialty flavours at Starbucks. A Coffee Misto is basically a cafe au lait (coffee with hot milk) and is about half the price of the latte versions.

In fact, in my hand at the moment is a tall non-fat, half-sweet pumpkin spice bold coffee misto. :)

And even at half sweet I'm finding it almost too sweet.
  • charlene567
    Options
    how many calories does it end up being?
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Also, you can add the pumpkin spice syrup to anything. If you get a doppio espresso (2 shots of straight espresso, virtually zero calories) and add one pump of pumpkin spice it not only gives it that flavor boost but also makes it a bit creamy. (Is does contain diary.)

I would also suggest asking for less pumps. If you get a grande pumpkin spice hot beverage of any kind there's going to be 4 pumps of syrup by default. Try ordering it with two. Half the calories and sugar and still pretty tasty!
  • Code2fornow
    Code2fornow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do this with most of the more decadent specialty flavours at Starbucks. A Coffee Misto is basically a cafe au lait (coffee with hot milk) and is about half the price of the latte versions.

In fact, in my hand at the moment is a tall non-fat, half-sweet pumpkin spice bold coffee misto. :)

And even at half sweet I'm finding it almost too sweet.

I got a grande non-fat misto with 1 pump of pumpkin the other day and figured out it was only 90 calories!! And it saved $$ by getting the misto which tasted just like a latte anyway - plus if you use a registered Starbucks gift card, you get the syrup for free.
  • Fit_Britt
    Fit_Britt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe Umeboshi! I'm going to have to try that one :)